Is it bad if you can't play other people/artist/bands songs very well or at all but are good at improv/your own style? What is more respectable? I really SUCK at learning and playing already written songs by other bands, and when ever I try I just say f u c k this and start improving my own ****. Is this a bad habit though? I've been playing for 5 years and I really can't play many known songs at all, for both lack of interest and ability. Should I break this habit?
its not a bad thing... but it all really depends on what direction your going with for guitar
I think you'll learn a lot from already existing music. Don't learn it to be "more respectable" though... that's just silly. Learn music that you like, because you like it, and/or you can learn something valuable by doing it.
shred is gaudy music
learn songs your interested in, not what other people know/like
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
It isn't a bad thing, but you should be able to play other songs better.

I am kind of like that. When I just improv shred, my playing gets fast and is still smooth and sounds good. Yet, when I try to learn a solo that is at around the same speeds, I can't manage to do it.

Once again, you shouldn't HAVE to learn other songs. You won't make it anywhere playing covers, you need to write your own stuff. Only practice songs you want to play.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
I'll answer your question with a question, who's more respected; the guy that can play every megadeth solo at 200bpm or the guys that wrote that solo? Which one would you pay to see?
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
I'll answer your question with a question, who's more respected; the guy that can play every megadeth solo at 200bpm or the guys that wrote that solo? Which one would you pay to see?

heres the thing you have to be careful not to overlook......

The guy that wrote the solo, in most cases developed his style at least in part by learning the solos of his favorite players.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
heres the thing you have to be careful not to overlook......

The guy that wrote the solo, in most cases developed his style at least in part by learning the solos of his favorite players.

"Good Artists Borrow, Great Artists Steal"

Those bands (take Megadeth) are popular for a reason. You can only learn from them.

And GuitarMunky, nice sig. I didn't get it until I said it aloud.
^The best artists create...

Sure, to begin with you can analyse some solos. Maybe play them, maybe. Generally, I think listening them and copying their phrasing is enough. Even trying to transcribe them (whether you fail or succeed is irrelevant) works wonders too.

I still don't understand his sig.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
^The best artists create...

Sure, to begin with you can analyse some solos. Maybe play them, maybe. Generally, I think listening them and copying their phrasing is enough. Even trying to transcribe them (whether you fail or succeed is irrelevant) works wonders too.

I still don't understand his sig.

all artists create.

Engaging and internalizing the music in any fashion be it learning to play a song, or studying it via theory, is always a positive thing for ones development.

"Maybe play them .... maybe"? you say? well thats your choice, but my advice to anyone thats early in their development as the TS seems to be, would be ... Play them!!! play them!!! There is so much to be gained simply by playing a piece of music. it shows your where the things you are listening to are on the guitar, it teaches you how to get those sounds, it gives you some context for anything you may study, besides all that it's alot of fun if you enjoy the music you're playing.

Quote by Austyn6661

And GuitarMunky, nice sig. I didn't get it until I said it aloud.

Thanks!
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 7, 2009,
"Don't be fooled into thinking you have re-invented anything, in some way you're gunna steal, so make damn sure you steal from the best!"

Haha, I liked that.
Hmm.
The other day i went into the UK's version of GC (Sound Control) and tried out a Satch Custom. I didn't like the guitar, but i knew sitting there playing through scales and riffs i sounded rough. But then when i've got a background/progresssion to play against i sound good, because i'm reasonable at improvising. Without music to play to i sucked though. Made me realise how much more i have to practice.
I think learning songs from other bands is very important. It broadens your technique, as well as broadens your knowledge and exposure to music.

If you cant play a song, then it is because technically, you are not good enough to play it, so by practicing it you become better.

And on the "learn what you like" comment, I think you should learn anything the can improve your technique. For instance: I dont like BTBAM, but I learned the intro to "Alaska" by them in order to help my technique.

If you only play music that you like, then you will eventually run out. Say I only listen to classic rock, and only want to play classic rock songs, and yet be able to shred one day. I am never going to get there only playing classic rock, I am going to have to venture into metal because they have more technically demanding solos.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Last edited by sacamano79 at Mar 7, 2009,
Your striving to better, TS might just be enjoying themselves.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by sacamano79

And on the "learn what you like" comment, I think you should learn anything the can improve your technique. For instance: I dont like BTBAM, but I learned the intro to "Alaska" by them in order to help my technique.

If you only play music that you like, then you will eventually run out. Say I only listen to classic rock, and only want to play classic rock songs, and yet be able to shred one day. I am never going to get there only playing classic rock, I am going to have to venture into metal because they have more technically demanding solos.

I disagree. If you only want to play classic rock songs, it follows that you only want to play bluesy solos or whatever. I get bored learning songs I don't love, so it's just not worth the time, technically demanding or not.
Quote by gabcd86
I disagree. If you only want to play classic rock songs, it follows that you only want to play bluesy solos or whatever. I get bored learning songs I don't love, so it's just not worth the time, technically demanding or not.

Learning technique is not worth the time? I agree with learning songs you enjoy listening to, but there is nothing wrong with learning part of a song to improve your technique. You can love classic rock and only want to play classic rock, but that doesn't make it a waste of time to learn how to sweep pick.
It is a waste of time to learn to sweep pick if the music you want to make doesn't involve sweep picking.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Maybe learn little licks or something that other guitarists do that you can work into your own soloing?