Okay so I started playing guitar a few months ago. I can't seem to find a tone that I like. Yes, I know thats always a problem for guitarists but I am looking for some tips. What I want to know is how I can get a nice distorted sound but still kind of clean. Let me explain. The distortion I am getting sounds very gainy and very like cheesy. SO I guess how I get a nice distortion with a little less gain but still a nice distortion sound.

I am using a Carvin SX-200 amp.
Overdrive
Bass
Mid
Treble
Presence
Reverb

I have a Ibanex TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
Oh, I also have a MSR dyna comp
Not sure if those will do anything but thought I would mention.

Any suggestions or ideas would be awesome. I have searched the forums but haven't really found anything. Any input would be nice

Thx
Andrew
Well, as far as EQ goes, you didn't specify how you want it to sound. Personally, I like to have my treble around fur or five, the bass cranked, and the mids a little higher than the treble, maybe about 1/2 a unit. That's on a Fender, so for you, the treble would be rolled up a bit higher.

As for the distortion, I have a normal TS9, and I like to keep the gain a little past 3 o'clock with the level all the way up, and the tone a little below 9 o'clock. A very throaty tone.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but specifications should be provided!
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Quote by mcrfobtai
I have a Pro Junior.
Almost the same thing. Sort of.

But I do love BJ's. Great amps.
Everyone likes BJ's.

EVERYONE!!!!
Thank you very much for the reply I will try the settings you suggested.

I think I have a better way of describing what I am looking for. I guess I am looking for a classic rock sound. Not too grainy just some nice clean distortion. Basically something I could use to play with Green Day, 3 doors down, Paramore. Just a nice rock sound.

thx again for the suggestion I will try it.
Andrew