Hi,

does anyone know what I can do to fix backbow in a guitar neck? The neck has bent backwards away from the strings so that the strings buzz badly on the frets and the nut on the trussrod is already backed off fully. I'm not even using a light gague string.

If anyone has dealt with this before or knows of any online rescources I could read then I'd be really grateful 'cos I'm stumped!

Thanks in advance
Unless your neck has a "two way" truss rod, your neck is warped. There's not much you can do outside of getting a new neck or paying loads of money to get it fixed
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Ah crap, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. What exactly is the expensive procedure to fix it?
Does it have a Fender-style bolt on neck? The angle may be wrong, wood shims can bring it back in line with the body of the guitar.

Put a capo at the first fret, and fret the sixth string at the last fret. You should have a slight gap in the center, roughly around fret eight to twelve, measure it from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string. If the bow is at the right amount, the truss rod is right. If the strings still touch the fret, that's a problem a luthier will have to fix. Its not terribly expensive, but it can exceed the value of most lower-end guitars. Good luck.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Last edited by millerdrr at Mar 7, 2009,
You could clamp it up for a few weeks or even months in a warm environment and see how it is after that.

Another option is to have the frets leveled and take the bow out if its not that bigger bow.

Or, if the bow is too bad, take the frets out and level the fingerboard then refret.
Last edited by jscustomguitars at Mar 7, 2009,
I think the actual neck angle in relation to the body is fine, it's just that it is bowed the wrong way so that there is absolutely no relief at all and the notes won't sound properly.

jscustomguitars, do you have any more info about how to clamp it up in the way you describe? It makes sense that that would work as I've heard of necks developing a bow if left against a radiator.
Is this your Squire neck?
Can you sight down the length of the neck (bass side from headstock to brdge) and take a pic of what you see?
Moving on.....
Nope, this is the neck on my Hohner Revelation RTS, which is a shame as it means I can't just get a new neck, they don't make 'em no more. OK, I'll borrow a digital camera and try and post pics 2moro, have been trying to get a good one on my mobile phone camera but it just wasn't cuttin it. Thanks!