Poll: Fix the too much bass?
Poll Options
View poll results: Fix the too much bass?
Of Course! DUH
6 21%
Probably
9 32%
Nope, mod the amp
1 4%
Nope, new speaker
5 18%
The vote for change
7 25%
Voters: 28.
Hey all, I was just wondering if an MXR 10 band EQ will fix the Crate V18's semifamous "boom" an overly bassy sound? Just wondering before I spent over $100 on it. Thanks in advance
Quote by Flying Couch
I approve of this thread.

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty
Best book ever, best thread ever.

Quote by batman187
I definitely approve of this.

Quote by meh!
It might help but it won't magically transform it. My crate never had an overly bassy sound. how do you got the eq set?
I changed out the speaker for an eminence private jack, I cant really remember how it sounded before, but it doesnt sound as bassy now and I think its clearer. over all it sounds good.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
no instead of doing that If you have the money is completely mod the amp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Crate-V18-18-Watt-modded-to-Marshall-18-Watt-boutique_W0QQitemZ300285282049QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item300285282049&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

paste and stick.

but yah if you have that amp this is the route i would go.

I would have done it myself if i still had the amp and didnt trade it in for my classic 30.

the crate V18 has more problems than just boomy bass, might aswell fix them all now.

the problem with this amp isnt tubes and speakers, the problem is the amp it self, the circuts and such.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Mar 6, 2009,
I sold mine after I bought my vypyr tube. Because the main reason I had it was for cleans. Hell I got my 60 watt vypyr tube and the twin model on it kills the crate. The cleans are way better plus I have all those other channels for lead. So I dont really miss the thing. I had the bigger version though.
Quote by hcsn2008
It might help but it won't magically transform it. My crate never had an overly bassy sound. how do you got the eq set?

The EQ on the amp changes depending upon the sound I'm after its just that half the time the bass is overly boomy.

Quote by fifer
I changed out the speaker for an eminence private jack, I cant really remember how it sounded before, but it doesnt sound as bassy now and I think its clearer. over all it sounds good.

I read a Green Beret (Greenback clone) Would be well suited for this amp. I also read a Governor by Eminence would be a good choice. But I was also under the impression the MXR 10 band would solve the boominess to a big degree.
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
Quote by Lookatmegooo
The EQ on the amp changes depending upon the sound I'm after its just that half the time the bass is overly boomy.

I read a Green Beret (Greenback clone) Would be well suited for this amp. I also read a Governor by Eminence would be a good choice. But I was also under the impression the MXR 10 band would solve the boominess to a big degree.

Putting a new speaker in it won't do magic either. It can change your tone but the amp is voiced that way it's not the speaker. Although I never had that problem. Just don't turn the bass up a lot.
Quote by hcsn2008
Putting a new speaker in it won't do magic either. It can change your tone but the amp is voiced that way it's not the speaker. Although I never had that problem. Just don't turn the bass up a lot.

I keep the bass down most times, but on the 6th string the bass really over power the bass on the other 5 strings.
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
So the general feeling is a speaker and not an EQ? I'll get both down the line, its just I only have money for one or the other at this point in time. Anymore speaker recommendations?
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
why dont you just modify the amp itself.

thats ganna do vast improvements over a speaker change or a EQ pedal ever would.
Quote by THEKID546
why dont you just modify the amp itself.

thats ganna do vast improvements over a speaker change or a EQ pedal ever would.

I may, but I have no soldering experience and am skeptical of sending it ot ot someone on Ebay.
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
Who doesn't like bass...? lol. But unless you get crappy speakers that don't do bass, your only option would be to mod the amp itself.

EDIT: Try lowering your pickups on the lower (bass) strings.
2007 American Deluxe Strat
Crate Palomino V32 - 1x12
Boss DS-1
Crybaby Wah
Maxon OD-808
Last edited by Taniel_24 at Mar 7, 2009,
Quote by Taniel_24
Who doesn't like bass...? lol. But unless you get crappy speakers that don't do bass, your only option would be to mod the amp itself.

EDIT: Try lowering your pickups on the lower (bass) strings.

Its does it on both guitars so its not a one guitar problem. Modding the amp its self is something I may do, but until I get say, a Valveking I would not like to risk it. I'm still wondering if an EQ and/or a new speaker would help with the overwhelming bass.
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
Quote by Lookatmegooo
I may, but I have no soldering experience and am skeptical of sending it ot ot someone on Ebay.

I understand man but honestly if you have a chance to mod it to fix the buzzines, the overwhelming bass, the horrid DS, the crappy reverb, the crappy EQ response then do it.

I understand why you would be Iffy about sending it of to some guy you dont know on ebay but look at the guys feedback he must have more than 100 customers and has 100% feedback.

I persanally thing it would be a mistake to get and EQ pedal or a speaker rather than modding the amp especially at such a resonable price, money on a EQ pedal or a speaker will be money wasted when you could just mod it.

also if you mod this baby your ganna have an amp way better than any valveking.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Mar 7, 2009,
Quote by THEKID546
I understand man but honestly if you have a chance to mod it to fix the buzzines, the overwhelming bass, the horrid DS, the crappy reverb, the crappy EQ response then do it.

I understand why you would be Iffy about sending it of to some guy you dont know on ebay but look at the guys feedback he must have more than 100 customers and has 100% feedback.

I persanally thing it would be a mistake to get and EQ pedal or a speaker rather than modding the amp especially at such a resonable price, money on a EQ pedal or a speaker will be money wasted when you could just mod it.

also if you mod this baby your ganna have an amp way better than any valveking.

Honestly, I'd try my luck modding to semi SLO standards by using this before sending it out. The problem is that I have no soldering experience
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
like i said man your best bet is modding the amp, whether it be from the guy on ebay or some guy on craigslist.

i would look up some guy on craigslist ask if he mods amps and then just send him the amp with schematic.

but if your still hard pressed on sending it off wich i think you should do, definately buy a better speaker rather than an EQ pedal.

good luck man.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Mar 7, 2009,
I popped a 12au7 into the V1 slot on my v18 and not only is the preamp gain actually controlable now, the amp has quite a bit less dark mud in the sound.

Get a nice 12at7 or 12au7 and pop it in V1 before you do anything ( I also did a power tube swap while I was at it)

For $15 you'll get a more manageble and noticibly less muddy amp.

It does make the crunch a little drier and tighter, which isn't personally my thing, but it still gets plenty of crunch and is just so much more controlable that I say it was absolutely worth it.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 7, 2009,
Quote by THEKID546
like i said man your best bet is modding the amp, whether it be from the guy on ebay or some guy on craigslist.

i would look up some guy on craigslist ask if he mods amps and then just send him the amp with schematic.

but if your still hard pressed on sending it off wich i think you should do, definately buy a better speaker rather than an EQ pedal.

good luck man.

I know modding it would be the best bet but I just don't want to if I don't have to thats all thanks for all your help and suggestions, I hadn't thought of looking up amp modders in my area thanks.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
I popped a 12au7 into the V1 slot on my v18 and not only is the preamp gain actually controlable now, the amp has quite a bit less dark mud in the sound.

Get a nice 12at7 or 12au7 and pop it in V1 before you do anything ( I also did a power tube swap while I was at it)

It does make the crunch a little drier and tighter, which isn't personally my thing, but it still gets plenty of crunch and is just so much more controlable that I say it was absolutely worth it.

Oh wow, I heard about doing something like that. What brand you use?
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
Quote by dullsilver_mike

Also interested in what brand you used. What would sound nice there and what is everything biased to?
any one have any links on how to do the swap from v18 to plexi 18, or do you guys think the ebay guy is just yanking chains.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by edge11
any one have any links on how to do the swap from v18 to plexi 18, or do you guys think the ebay guy is just yanking chains.

I've never heard of the "to plexi 18 mod" I'm interested in this as well.
Quote by Bentheemo
Also interested in what brand you used. What would sound nice there and what is everything biased to?

I just used electro harmonix tubes for the preamp stages. I ordered them from tubedepot and had them tested for low noise and microphonics, since I wanted my clean sounds from the v18 to be pristine. I popped some JJs in for the power stage (pretty much cause they were cheap, but have a decent enough reputation).

As far as I know there's absolutely nothing to set, it is a cathode bias amp; you can just swap tubes as you see fit.

If you use a 12au7 in V1 like I did, I'd leave a 12ax7 in V2. The one tube makes a huge gain difference. I don't know if 2 12at7s would have a greater or lesser effect. For people that want more gain then me you might just use a "t" in v1 and an "x" in the others as normal.

If you had preamp and poweramp cranked before, you will lose some overall volume with this swap. But with the sloppy over-the-topness of the preamp, I don't honestly know how anyone could have been playing this amp stock with the gain maxed. For my preferences, there is no loss in useable volume

I've read that the lower gain a preamp tube has, the brighter and less muddy it tends to be, so that explains why the preamp swap fixed more than one issue at once.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I just used electro harmonix tubes for the preamp stages. I ordered them from tubedepot and had them tested for low noise and microphonics, since I wanted my clean sounds from the v18 to be pristine. I popped some JJs in for the power stage (pretty much cause they were cheap, but have a decent enough reputation).

As far as I know there's absolutely nothing to set, it is a cathode bias amp; you can just swap tubes as you see fit.

If you use a 12au7 in V1 like I did, I'd leave a 12ax7 in V2. The one tube makes a huge gain difference. I don't know if 2 12at7s would have a greater or lesser effect. For people that want more gain then me you might just use a "t" in v1 and an "x" in the others as normal.

If you had preamp and poweramp cranked before, you will lose some overall volume with this swap. But with the sloppy over-the-topness of the preamp, I don't honestly know how anyone could have been playing this amp stock with the gain maxed. For my preferences, there is no loss in useable volume

I've read that the lower gain a preamp tube has, the brighter and less muddy it tends to be, so that explains why the preamp swap fixed more than one issue at once.

Did it fix the overly boomy sound? And you replaced all the tubes or just the preamp tube(s)?

BTW: Enjoyed your youtube minimovie greatly haha
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
Last edited by Lookatmegooo at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by Lookatmegooo
Did it fix the overly boomy sound? And you replaced all the tubes or just the preamp tube(s)?

BTW: Enjoyed your youtube minimovie greatly haha

It toned down the boominess. I still have the bass knob rolled back, but not nearly as much and now I'm actually to play a guitar with humbuckers through the amp. Some folks said it mellowed out the crazy reverb too, but I didn't notice a difference there.

I also changed the power amp tubes with JJs just for kicks, but I doubt that has much to do with cleaning up the sound and reducing the boominess. You'll get a much bigger differnce out of the tube you put in V1 and V2 than anything else.

Thanks! There's about another 30-40 minutes of film, so just subscribe if you want to see the rest.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by dullsilver_mike
It toned down the boominess. I still have the bass knob rolled back, but not nearly as much and now I'm actually to play a guitar with humbuckers through the amp. Some folks said it mellowed out the crazy reverb too, but I didn't notice a difference there.

I also changed the power amp tubes with JJs just for kicks, but I doubt that has much to do with cleaning up the sound and reducing the boominess. You'll get a much bigger differnce out of the tube you put in V1 and V2 than anything else.

Thanks! There's about another 30-40 minutes of film, so just subscribe if you want to see the rest.

Thanks for all your help, it was really well, er, helpful. How did you get to the tubes in the V18 and how did you know which one was V1?
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
Quote by Lookatmegooo
Thanks for all your help, it was really well, er, helpful. How did you get to the tubes in the V18 and how did you know which one was V1?

I actually took the amp chassis out of the cab because I wanted a thorough look at the electronics.

I'm pretty sure you can just remove the speaker baffle from the front of the cab if you are just swapping tubes. The tubes are in order, with V1 being closest to the side with the input jack and the power amp tubes being on the side with the power and standby switches.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I actually took the amp chassis out of the cab because I wanted a thorough look at the electronics.

I'm pretty sure you can just remove the speaker baffle from the front of the cab if you are just swapping tubes. The tubes are in order, with V1 being closest to the side with the input jack and the power amp tubes being on the side with the power and standby switches.

Oh ok thanks sooooo much. Do you run an EQ with it?
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
Quote by Lookatmegooo
Oh ok thanks sooooo much. Do you run an EQ with it?

No, I still have to lower the bass a bit on the built in eq, though not as much. I have tried an od and a few other effects in front to tighten it up a bit, but never an eq. I don't need anything to tighten it up now, but that's all up to preference of course.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
No, I still have to lower the bass a bit on the built in eq, though not as much. I have tried an od and a few other effects in front to tighten it up a bit, but never an eq. I don't need anything to tighten it up now, but that's all up to preference of course.

Oh ok ha.
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
I used to own one but i traded it away. I used a fish n chips eq and it made such a big difference, the gain wasn't so muddy too. I diodn't really find the amp boomy , just keep the bass down lol. I eqed it to low lows and high highs, like a linear graph.
Quote by JoePerry4life
I used to own one but i traded it away. I used a fish n chips eq and it made such a big difference, the gain wasn't so muddy too. I diodn't really find the amp boomy , just keep the bass down lol. I eqed it to low lows and high highs, like a linear graph.

Like a linear graph lol. Ok thanks. I'm glad to hear the EQ helps.
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!