Page 1 of 2
My guitar teacher was trying to convince me to buy 100 watts tube, which Im thinking is really unessecary. Basically I'm buying an ac30 on craigslist($700) and he was trying to talk me out of it because he's convinced that 30 watts won't be loud enough and used amps are too unreliable
Now do you believe in rock and roll?

Can music save your mortal soul?
Wrong and wrong. It's a vox tube amp, so as long as a visual inspection and play test confirms everything is alright, reliability shouldn't be an issue. And AC30s are damned loud. You'll blow drummers out, probably.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
one word to your teacher.

BULL****.

your right hes wrong.

anything above 30 watts tube is unecessary if you ask me.

unless you really play cleans alot, your know, then yah buy a 100 watter.

even then a 50 watt provides enough cleans for me.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Mar 6, 2009,
I think 50watt tubes is as loud as necesary. for everyone....
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
I think 50watt tubes is as loud as necesary. for everyone....

Nah. 100 watts is good for Metal (preamp gain much?) and absurd clean headroom. Although it's a bit unnecessary for the latter.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Gosh...so many pro players use AC30s in large live situations. Miked up, they can play in front of thousands.
Yeah idk what it is about Vox ac30's, but they do seem a good bit louder than many other 30 watt tube amps. Go for that one. Make sure the guy on craigs list you're buying from isnt holding out on the foot pedal! You'll deffinitely make good use of it.
The ac30's'll make it over most drummers. I'm not sure what type of tone you're going for, the AC30 might break up before you want it to. Try it out, see the type of volumes you can get with it. I know my AC30 (an older 6 input type) with the brilliant and normal channel patched can get pretty loud without breaking up (enough to get over most drummers), but I'm not 100% sure that the new AC30cc2's can get that type of clean volume.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
It will definetly be loud enough. The most possible issue is the tube breakup which might occur at a lower volume than you might want it to.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
the 30 watt vox AC30 is louder than balls.

which probably isn't a good example of anything.. but .. BALLS.

it should be good enough to get over most drummers up to a solid hard rock style.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by sg4ever
Gosh...so many pro players use AC30s in large live situations. Miked up, they can play in front of thousands.

Yeah thats because it is, as you say, mic'd up. But you could mic a 1Watt amp and get the same.

I'm guessing, and I think everybody else is, that the TS means unmic'd.

And to the TS, yeah you're right and he's wrong.
Beatles played Shea Stadium with AC30's unmiked. Nuff said?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by timi_hendrix
The real question is, can your drummer keep up with an AC30?

True that.
Quote by Lurcher

The Beatles didn't have much of a drummer to keep up with.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by Lurcher
Quote by goonerbynature
The Beatles didn't have much of a drummer to keep up with.

Haha, so true.

As for the amp... I am pretty sure that a 30 watt tube will be plenty for what you will need to be playing unless you're playing some pretty big venue...
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Quote by mcrfobtai
I have a Pro Junior.
Almost the same thing. Sort of.

But I do love BJ's. Great amps.
Everyone likes BJ's.

EVERYONE!!!!
I've got one, I mix the normal and the boost channel and have normal volume at 1/4 and boost at almost nothing and then have the master volume at 1/4. Those are my practice settings anyway, for small to medium sized venues I just turn the master up to about half, usually a bit less and it still cuts through easily.
AC30's are loud enough to play STADIUMS.
Your guitar teacher is an idiot.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
AC30's are loud enough to play STADIUMS.
Your guitar teacher is an idiot.

This man is right.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
This man is right.

must...resist...ego...boosting...sig...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Ask Brian May, Dave Grohl and the Edge. They all have used AC30s at some point playing the biggest arenas in the world.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
1) Your teacher knows ****e about gear. I have an AC15 and it keeps up with drummers just fine.

2) Fortunately, guitar teachers don't have to know about gear to teach well. I remember having a teacher who criticized the hell out of my flamenco guitar (Esteve, hand made in Spain) while he played a Takamine "classical" which had a truss-rod, cutaway and electronics. He thought mine should have all those things and it was junk because it didn't. He was a great teacher though, just dumb about gear.

-J!
Quote by timi_hendrix
The real question is, can your drummer keep up with an AC30?

this.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by shadow__666
Ask Brian May, Dave Grohl and the Edge. They all have used AC30s at some point playing the biggest arenas in the world.

Brian May has only ever used AC30s! Of course when he plays stadiums he has 14 of them...

But the point still stands, AC30s are fricking loud!
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by Sampy
Brian May has only ever used AC30s! Of course when he plays stadiums he has 14 of them...

But the point still stands, AC30s are fricking loud!

i propose a law to ban all guitar teachers, henceforth, from opening their mouths about guitar gear. They might know how to play guitar, but judging by all the threads made on here, they know fuck all about gear.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i propose a law to ban all guitar teachers, henceforth, from opening their mouths about guitar gear. They might know how to play guitar, but judging by all the threads made on here, they know fuck all about gear.

that's a little hitler-esque. My old bass teacher was my go-to guy for tech info. Differant people have had differant experience with the same gear, who's to say this guy couldn't get a good clean out'a his AC30 to get over an abnormally loud drummer?
i was only joking.

but there does seem to be an alarmingly large number of threads around here where a guitar teacher gave a pupil pretty suspect info regarding gear...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Your drummer would need to be John Bonham for you to not stay clean over him with an AC30.

Seriously, cut the mids on them and you will stay clean until your ears hurt.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
it will definitely be loud enough to get over a drummer, just beware it might not be clean thats all.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by shadow__666
Your drummer would need to be John Bonham for you to not stay clean over him with an AC30.

Seriously, cut the mids on them and you will stay clean until your ears hurt.

what mids? They don't have a mid control. You've got treble and bass on the brilliant channel and a treble cut on the rest of the channels....
My Egnater 20 watt can keep up with my drummer, and he's a crazy f*cking Neil peart disciple, only he can't play quiet. so your AC30 should have no problémo.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Thomme
what mids? They don't have a mid control. You've got treble and bass on the brilliant channel and a treble cut on the rest of the channels....

Some people use EQ pedals.

Question: Which is the best kind of bear?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Eh, not always. My guitar teacher plays a PRS Custom/Fender American Deluxe Tele through a Fender Twin Reverb, with several different boutique effects and a couple home made. He always gives me advice about gear.
Page 1 of 2