Hey, I picked up this beaten up old japanese guitar on ebay for $30 shipped and I started a refret job, but ran out of fret wire at the 13th fret

so, I did what any self respecting country music lover would do: converted it to a lapsteel (for the time being, if I get unlazy enough to order another 2 feet of fretwire.

I put a set of .11's on it and tuned it to open Dm (I know, it's a weird key), ripped out all the frets, took the pickup springs out and raised the sucker as high as it'd go and jacked the bridge up high. It actually works fairly well and sounds ok (I left my metal slide at my parents house when I moved, so, I'm stuck with a glass one, which I hate).

I'll try to get some clips up of it later tonight. In the meantime, here's some picks

I also put new tuners and a nut on it. I tried out the bridge off the other old japanese guitar, but it didn't quite work out on this, so it's the original brass rail bridge (shudder).

Also, if you guys know a cool website to help with lapsteel playing, I'd love to hear about it, as I'm new to lapsteels.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
You got that for $30! It looks like a Tescio to me. Sweet deal!
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
Quote by Sonis3
You got that for $30! It looks like a Tescio to me. Sweet deal!

yeah, I believe it was built by teisco for global to distro, or at least in the same factory. It's got the wierd florals on the pickgaurd like a tiesco and headstock shape and neck material, but... the pickup doesn't really sing like a tiesco, the tiesco string tree I've got doesn't fit and the bridge is janky... so, it probably never had an equivalent tiesco model to it. For $30, I couldn't go wrong, though.
It's still awesome. I'm jealous of you, especially at that price. You can probably snag a Tescio pickup from ebay if you wanted to get that sound.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
ok, I got a sound clip up (or will in about 30 seconds.) I don't know how to play lapsteel at all, and it's tuned in Dm open, so, the fretboard's way differant than I'm used to, but it's just to give you an idea of how it sounds. There isn't a whole lot of sustain, but all I've got is a glass slide, I'm sure my metal one with sound much better.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Thomme/music/all/play560565