Not only is my Ibanez GRX20L boring to look at, it sucks.
I figure, I may or may not dump come cash into it and make it on par with my Epiphone.
Now, I'm one for EMGs, but I'd like passive pickups, since I can't take the pickguard off without taking off the neck and strings.

Anyway, any ways a modding noob can self-mod a guitar into something sexy and awesome to hear?
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
why not focus on your Explorer build? just deal with that crap until you finish your project
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Quote by JBizzle Da Truf
why not focus on your Explorer build? just deal with that crap until you finish your project

I've got some spare pickups lying around, and I need some experience soldering anyway, so I figure for a tiny amount of money I can get this done and be ahead in the long run.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Quote by Justice4AllOne
I can't take the pickguard off without taking off the neck and strings.

Uhh. I don't own one of these, but I know that you are wrong. Loosen off the strings and push them aside and you have room to take the PG off. It just rotates out from under the strings. If that is an issue, do it during a string change. And you certainly don't have to take the neck off.

Have you done a proper set up on this guitar yet? If not do that first.
If you don't know how, head over to EG.
Have you done a search in this forum yet?
If not, do it.
There are already 100s of other similar threads.
Quote by PainIsPower
Uhh. I don't own one of these, but I know that you are wrong. Loosen off the strings and push them aside and you have room to take the PG off. It just rotates out from under the strings. If that is an issue, do it during a string change. And you certainly don't have to take the neck off.

Have you done a proper set up on this guitar yet? If not do that first.
If you don't know how, head over to EG.
Have you done a search in this forum yet?
If not, do it.
There are already 100s of other similar threads.

Lol you obviously don't own this guitar.
The pickguard stretches under the fretboard extension, so I REALLY cannot take it off with the neck still attached. It's also spaced a little too thin, so it squeezes on the neck itself. The pickguard can't be taken off with the neck attached.
Don't just assume the majority of cases means everything is that way. Saying, "Well most guitars aren't like that, have you checked?" wouldn't have bothered me, but assuming I'm wrong when you don't own the guitar, and don't have accurate specs on the guitar is bull****. And the guitar is set up fine, it was set up fairly recently.

I was just wondering if there were any interesting ideas to mod this particular guitar.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Lol you obviously don't own this guitar.
The pickguard stretches under the fretboard extension, so I REALLY cannot take it off with the neck still attached. It's also spaced a little too thin, so it squeezes on the neck itself. The pickguard can't be taken off with the neck attached.

Mail it to me. I bet you I can get it off with out taking the neck off. Ok, yeah the fret board over hangs the PG. It slides backwards towards the bridge, it might need to bend a bit to allow the humbucker room to clear the their routings, but it is plastic and as long as you aren't rough with it, youll be fine. Also, getting at the battery shouldn't be much of a concern as EMGs have huge battery life as long as you don't leave them plugged in when you aren't playing. Also, taking a neck off really isnt that big of an ordeal anyways.

Quote by Justice4AllOne
I was just wondering if there were any interesting ideas to mod this particular guitar.

As stated, check out other posts, it's all been done before.
You should be able to get the pickgaurd off without taking the neck off completely. If should just slide out from under the fretboard overhang. If it's wedged in, just loosen the screws a bit, don't take the neck completely off. In anycase...

What kind of pickups do you have sitting around to pop into it? Cause, they might not be better than what's in there. I played a few of the Ibanez HH strats back in my highschool days and recall those pups sounding not too terrible ('course, that was a long time ago). It would be good practice to try it out on a POS guitar, but as stated earlier, giving it the full treatment of a proper setup may increase playability and tone immensely, as well as just replacing your pots and caps with higher quality components. The cool thing with those starter "strats" is that the world is your oyester as far as mods go.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme
You should be able to get the pickgaurd off without taking the neck off completely. If should just slide out from under the fretboard overhang. If it's wedged in, just loosen the screws a bit, don't take the neck completely off. In anycase...

What kind of pickups do you have sitting around to pop into it? Cause, they might not be better than what's in there. I played a few of the Ibanez HH strats back in my highschool days and recall those pups sounding not too terrible ('course, that was a long time ago). It would be good practice to try it out on a POS guitar, but as stated earlier, giving it the full treatment of a proper setup may increase playability and tone immensely, as well as just replacing your pots and caps with higher quality components. The cool thing with those starter "strats" is that the world is your oyester as far as mods go.

I've tried getting the pickguard off before lol, it's wedged between the bridge and the neck. I needed to take the neck off anyway, as I'm probably going to paint it. Anyway, it's an Ibanez GIO series RG, so the pickups really suck. I was gonna leave the neck pickup, but drop an 80s BC Rich humbucker from my BC Rich (replaced with EMGs) into it. I figure, I'll do some cheap modding work on it, maybe paint it like a Frankenstrat, or like a PGM, maybe a candy apple color, add the BC Rich humbucker (which royally owns my Powersound 1 that's in there XD), and add a locking nut by itself, to help with my **** tuning stability.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Quote by Justice4AllOne
add a locking nut by itself, to help with my **** tuning stability.

You can only add a locking nut to a guitar with a bridge with fine tuners. When you lock the nut down, the strings go out of pitch and you need to use the fine tuners at the bridge to correct this. I guess you could constantly keep undoing the nut and fidling with the tuners and re tightening them, but say hello to 1-2 hour string changes. I think you mean locking TUNERS.
Quote by PainIsPower
You can only add a locking nut to a guitar with a bridge with fine tuners. When you lock the nut down, the strings go out of pitch and you need to use the fine tuners at the bridge to correct this. I guess you could constantly keep undoing the nut and fidling with the tuners and re tightening them, but say hello to 1-2 hour string changes. I think you mean locking TUNERS.

I know that a locking nut causes strings to go a bit sharp when it locks, but locking nuts are cheaper than locking tuners. I'm pressed for cash, so this is more of a cheap mod job.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Quote by Justice4AllOne
I know that a locking nut causes strings to go a bit sharp when it locks, but locking nuts are cheaper than locking tuners. I'm pressed for cash, so this is more of a cheap mod job.

Well, I would call putting a locking nut on a guitar with out the fine tuners an un-mod then, because mods are supposed to make the guitar better.

Also, have you looked into what it takes to fit a locking nut onto a guitar? It isn't a matter of bolting it on. You have to prepare the shelf for it and such.

If you can't afford to do it right, don't do it at all. Just my opinion.

Either way, it's your guitar, do what you want.
scratch and sniff,
Gear:
Jackson rr5+rr3
epiphone les paul std
fender classic 50's
Epiphone sheraton ii
blackstar ht-5s
vox ac15c1
bugera 333xl
framus 2x12
mxr carbon copy
mxr bls chorus