Technically, the New Guitar Day was Thursday, but i've held of making a new thread for a few days so i can give an accurate description of the guitar.

It has an Alder body, Maple quartersawn neck and fretboard. Jumbo frets. Charvel 'carved' neck (Essentially, they roll of the edges of the neck for more comfort, feels amazing). Original floyd rose (More on that later) front routed Dimarzio pickups with pickguard and strat style input jack and strat style headstock

The body is carved exactly like a strat is, with the edge sanding a little more square than a normal strat, or more 'boxy' than 'curvey'.

The neck is an absolute dream. Its the best neck i've ever felt. The back of the neck is finished with a gunstock oil instead of a glossier coat. It feels like an unfinished neck or a neck with a matte finish. very slick. The neck is quartersawn, which means instead of the grain going across, horizontal to the neck, the grain travels down the neck. This increases the sturdiness of the neck and lowers slight changes to the neck due to temperature and humidity.

The necks shape is an absolute dream to play. instead of coming to a point like a normal U neck would, it curves around slightly before being flattened off. If you guys dont understand i can whip up a quick paint diagram, heh.

Fret job is good, not sharp edges or outstanding frets.

The "OFR" is the only real 'downside' to the guitar. Instead of being made by Schaller in Germany, it is manufactured in an Asian country. Either Korea or China, no one has really given me a solid answer. The manufacturing process is the same and the same materials are used. It works just like an OFR. Only difference is that its made in a different country to cut down on the cost.

Due to that, i have noticed two things about the bridge system. The first is the fine tuners don't move as smooth as a German made OFR. Second is the whammy bar itself has a slight wobble in it, even when tightened all the way. it can move around 1 mm up and down without moving the bridge. An easy fix for that would be put some tape around the shaft inside.

The electronics are normal. Can't really get the wrong on a USA made guitar anyway. The pickups are two Dimarzios, a ToneZone in the bridge and an Evolution in the neck. One volume knob and one 3-way toggle.

The volume knob would either be a love it or hate it thing. the pot itself is much more stuff than a normal guitar, which allows for more precise adjusting. The down side to this is you have to use a little more force to turn it. The knob itself is a little ugly looking to some people. The grip on it is very 'grippy' and can be uncomfortable at times. I have no real personal problems with it but others like replacing the knob

All the hardware is black minus the pick-up poles

Overall, this is without a doubt my most favorite guitar i have ever played. It beats out guitars twice its price.

Here in Australia, they retail now for $2000. When i put this guitar on lay-buy it was only $1400. When i picked it up yesterday i was told its new list price. Good move on my part i guess. Even at its new price it is still better than its competitors.

Taking some pictures now. Will have them up within the next 30 minutes or so.

edit1: Uploading photos now.
Forgot to mention that the guitar came with a Charvel gig bag, allen wrenches, Dunlop "Strap-Loks" and one of those nifty allen wrench holders that you screw onto the back of the headstock

edit2: pics!

For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Last edited by .:Darkness:. at Mar 6, 2009,
AHH how could you make this thread without pics??? I even got out the kleenex and the lotion...
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
you made me get a guitar boner just so id get blue balls when i find out there are no pictures?

for shame
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
this thread is useless without pics!!
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
Pics are up.

If anyone wants to know more, let me know :>
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
i came, hard.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
The OFR is Korean made I believe but don't quote me on that. Its basically a Floyd Rose Special just not branded as such which is complete BS on Charvel's part as well as many others who do the same such as Schecter. Easiest way to spot one as you may already know is the back end of the saddles is beveled off where German made OFR's have a straight edge to them. Another thing is the necks are apparently made in Mexico but hey if you like it then so what, from what I hear they're nice guitars.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Man, I feel bad for you. You got this guitar during a later production run, and so you missed out on the AMAZING orange finish that the first run came in. I have one of these babies, and it is simply gorgeous.
Fender Tie-Dye Stratocaster
Charvel So-Cal (Dimarzio Air Norton and D-Sonic)
Minarik Inferno (SD Pearly Gates and Custom Custom)
Guild GAD-C3 (A flamenca negra)
Yamaha FG433S (A steel-string acoustic)

Egnater Tourmaster 4212
Peavey Rage 158
Quote by DSOTM80
The OFR is Korean made I believe but don't quote me on that. Its basically a Floyd Rose Special just not branded as such which is complete BS on Charvel's part as well as many others who do the same such as Schecter. Easiest way to spot one as you may already know is the back end of the saddles is beveled off where German made OFR's have a straight edge to them. Another thing is the necks are apparently made in Mexico but hey if you like it then so what, from what I hear they're nice guitars.

Where did you find out about the Floyd?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Different sources, I can't remember exactly. I pick up stuff all the time and remember useless things

Here's the difference. The one on the left is an Asian made OFR and the one on the right is one of my German OFR's from the 80's that I'm going to use for a project but the current German OFR's are made exactly like that still.

...also notice on your guitar long saddle screws that get pushed down by the fine tuners the ends have ridges on them, thats another way to tell its not a German OFR.
^dude ur amazing!
i knew about the saddle beveles but not about the screw ridges. where do you get all of this info on floyds!?!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
I found that out myself. I said hey wait a minute my 3 OFR's don't have that. Then I thought MAYBE the new German OFR's do but I had one in my hand at my friends shop and it was just like mine. Like I said I find out stuff like this all the time, I've always been good with details.

Edit:

The TS's 4th picture shows is perfectly.
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Mar 6, 2009,
Ah, i know how to tell the difference. i do a lot of useless lurking as well, heh.

I was more interested where you found out that its an FR special.

i know that there are some numbers used, for instance, a floyd rose special goes by FRT-Sx000, the x designating the colour of the trem. Eg: FRT-S1000 is a chrome special. FRT-S2000 is a Black special.

Now, they also have FRT-Ox000 models. I beleive these are built to the exact specifications of the OFR in germany, but still made in asia. so an FRT-O1000 would be a chrome original made in Asia.

Not completely sure if i'm on that though. But if i am, finding out the exact model of the trem on the charvel would be handy. I think its an FRT-O2000(black) because its stamped "Floyd Rose" not "Floyd Rose Special". Floyd Rose wouldn't allow Charvel to use FRSpecials with the OFR stamp.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Last edited by .:Darkness:. at Mar 6, 2009,
Yea I think you're right. By the way, what sort of sustain block does it have? as in material
Most likely steel. Its not brass and for the price it couldn't be titanium.

the lighting's bad so i took a photo with and without flash if you're interested

For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Yup steel, but anyways nice guitar enjoy it
that looks kinda like brass... what color is it? it looks kinda gold/yellow-ish...

EDIT: hey, see if you can see the spot where its supposed to say "made in germany". im just curious as to what or if it says anything there.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Last edited by f22master at Mar 7, 2009,
its not brass, that's just bad lighting. Also the made in germany stamp is somewhere underneath the baseplate and hard to get to. Im sure it wouldn't say it though.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I stopped in earlier to see this, and there were no pics! Now that there are... that is a beautiful guitar. Can't say I approve of the FR... but, I don't like tremelos in general and I'm picky... but, man, that thing is beautiful. Take care of it and rock the house with it man.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
looks good
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I ended up fixing a slight problem i had with the trem-bar. it wobbled a bit, even when fully tightened. wobbled as in it moved up and down without moving the trem, which made doing flutters literally impossible. the bar itself was too loose in the bridge so I wrapped one layer of packing tape around it.
fits almost nice and snug now. theres still a slight wobble but i can't notice it anymore unless i pay attention to if the bridge it moving or not. Plus, i can flutter again.

I'm thinking of taking it back to the store and seeing if i can get a replacement trem-arm and see if its the arm's fault. If the bridge is at fault then there's no point replacing it. Way to much money for the minor defect.

I guess that shows right there how bad the Asian quality and control is. For the price, i can't really complain.

After the tape was put in, it works just like a German made floyd.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Nice guitar my man. Now all you need is a nice amp to go with it
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
The bar wobbled? as in the part that you screw onto wobbled? Sounds like it just needed to be tightened, take your 3mm allen key wrench the same one you use for the nut I believe it is, take off the back plate and tighten it from the back. You can see it in your last picture where you photographed the sustain block.
Ah so thats what that does. This is my first FR equipped guitar and that's the only part i didn't understand.

Will give it a go now.

edit: jsut re-read your post. the part that i screw it into didn't wobble. Just the bar.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Last edited by .:Darkness:. at Mar 8, 2009,