anyways there's a guy offering a Ampeg v412 cab on my local craig's list. its a 200w 4x12 cab rated at 16ohms. i thought it'd be great with my Ampeg VH140 but it only takes in 4 or 8 ohm cabs.

my question is how does this ohms system work? is there a way to wire teh cab for 4 or 8 ohms?

thanks in advance to all that reply

Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
You should be able to wire it for 8 or 4. It all depends on how it's wired series/parallel. And what Impedance the speakers in it are.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
so how does it work

for example if they are all 16 ohms speakers.
how would wiring it parallel or series affect the overall ohms?
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Series= would be 4/4 ohm speakers wired in series = 16 ohms
Parallel= would be 4/16 ohm speakers wired in parallel

It's really hard to explain without pics. But if you go to page 29 in this link to a PDF it will hopefully help clear it up.(pics included)>>>>>http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/3chRecto.pdf
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by boxcarmonument
Series= would be 4/4 ohm speakers wired in series = 16 ohms
Parallel= would be 4/16 ohm speakers wired in parallel

It's really hard to explain without pics. But if you go to page 29 in this link to a PDF it will hopefully help clear it up.(pics included)>>>>>http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/3chRecto.pdf

thanks alot man
that PDF is very helpful
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Ur welcome.
Try not to pay more than 200 if you can help it. The most I would go on that particular cab would be 250-275 it had V30's in it.
Quote by imgooley
Try not to pay more than 200 if you can help it. The most I would go on that particular cab would be 250-275 it had V30's in it.

he's asking 250. but it's about a hour drive away and neither him or i have transportation. gonna have to pick it up and bring it back on the bus
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
he's asking 250. but it's about a hour drive away and neither him or i have transportation. gonna have to pick it up and bring it back on the bus

Good luck getting a 4x12 cab on a bus. You'd probably be better off forking out for a taxi and sticking it in the back.
Quote by Snake_42
Good luck getting a 4x12 cab on a bus. You'd probably be better off forking out for a taxi and sticking it in the back.

i just might. i probably can get the thing on the bus but i think there's a policy that doesn't allow big things sticking out in the aisle of the bus. *sigh*

gotta ask someone for a favor then
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Wire it up yourself. Seems pretty easy. The only soldering you are going to have to do is two wires on the plug. The wires on the speaker ends are just tabbed connectors.

Check this out... see the third option in the table.

http://colomar.com/Shavano/4x12wiring.html

Also, your not going to hurt anything plugging a 16 ohm cab into a 4/8 ohm head -you just lose some volume. It's when you go the other way, ie plugging a 4 ohm cab into a 8 ohm head that you must never do.
Last edited by 667 at Mar 7, 2009,
+1

I need to re-read this and look at the links but it sounds like the cab in question is run in series 2 x 8 ohm speakers = 16 ohms. If you were to wire it in parallel you'd get 4 ohms. Boom. Maybe find a friend who is handy with a solder iron if you are not. And good luck man.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1

I need to re-read this and look at the links but it sounds like the cab in question is run in series 2 x 8 ohm speakers = 16 ohms. If you were to wire it in parallel you'd get 4 ohms. Boom. Maybe find a friend who is handy with a solder iron if you are not. And good luck man.

well it's a 4x12 cab at 16ohms so i'm thinking it's 4 4ohm speakers running in series. and don't worry, i got some good soldering skills, just not sure on the wiring that's all

okay, i just didn't want to blow my amp. i don't mind a little volume loss, i'm mainly an at home player so it works out
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^oooops, sorry man. Hung-over and not paying attention FTL.

maybe you could re-wire it into 2 halves and run stereo?

no worries man not to sober myself

i probably will do that. as the ampeg handles 70w + 70w

but i really don't know what to do
i just saw a 4x12 fender cab with Celestions g12t-75's for the same price as the ampeg cab(250)
and a Randall 4x12 with vintage 30's for 350. but i'm broke.

i could get the randall assuming it's not sold but i'd be dead broke.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock