Im wondering what kind of guitar I should get next. Preferably within $400-$700USD.

Im thinking of either a Shechter, Jackson, or an Ibanez, but I need some facts.
Which one of these is faster in general for that price range? Which has the faster neck, able to lower action more, and faster playing in general?

Tone is more of an amp thing, But it has to be good for Metal. Could anyone give me some models or links to places where I could buy one? Tell me some Stores that carry your suggestion.

Ive heard good things about Jackson Warriors, but Any information is good.
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Mar 6, 2009,
Ibanez usually has faster necks, while Shecter have pretty fat necks for "metal" guitars.
*Insert witty boisterous relic of seemingly useless allegory for means of simply amusing a random personage*

My babies:

Epiphone Les Paul (Honeyburst)
Fender MiM Strat (Classic Black/White)
Epiphone Riviera (Wine Red)
My Jackson neck goes 300mph but my Ibanez is just behind with 295... Though the ibanez shifts strings .00003 seconds faster.
He called me a rapist and a recluse! Iam not a recluse!
-Mike Tyson
Sorry, but there really is no such thing as a fast neck. It's how you play that is suited to a certain neck.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Quote by continental
Speed depends more on the player than the guitar. A "fast guitar" is really subjective.

This.
A lot of people associate Ibanez or Jackson with "fast" guitars, but there are people that shred on Strats and Les Pauls.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
i gotta admit, when i have my guitar in my truck, i can get my guitar goin about 180kms/hr as long as i'm comfortable driving at that speed

as was said (very well i might add) here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=942688

you gotta learn to play slow before you can play fast...its not the guitar that plays fast, its your fingers after practice
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
I've heard that scalloping frets can be faster to push down, is it true?

I think what they mean by fast necks is that it's thin and easy to go up and down on.
Quote by MetaMegaMagic

I think what they mean by fast necks is that it's thin and easy to go up and down on.

Scalloping helps because you use less force on them so you can depress quickly after hitting a note.

It REALLY depends on what your used to, malmsteen has a scalopped guitar with the strings as high as the sky (Wierd no?) And most people like LOW strings for playing fast :S
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by MetaMegaMagic

no. that is called "action". the distance between the underneath of string to top of fret.

scalloping on the other hand is the removal of wood from the fretboard. it allows more grip on the string so you can do crazier, wilder vibrato.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
I have an old ibanez (not sure of the model) with a wizard 1 neck and its fast but, chaning strings is messy compared to my schecter omen-6. I find that the schecter is a nicer guitar overall and I can play it pretty fast. It does have a kinda thick neck however. It really depends on the player. The ibanez makes my hand cramp after a while too.
apparently ibanez wizard II necks are very "fast" and flat.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Jacksons are by far better
Jackson SLSMG With Blackouts
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Ibanez SA 260FM
Schecter Omen 6
Kustom K100C8 100w 4x10
Crate 40w
Epiphone Valve Junior
Quote by splamron
apparently ibanez wizard II necks are very "fast" and flat.

Yeah, all Wizards are. The II is 2 mm thicker than the Wizard found on RG550s. Thinner necks are usually preferable for faster playing, but some people use thick necks. Try some guitars and get one that suits you. Also if you're looking at scalloped necks, definitely try one first, they dont suit everyone.

Quote by rossdaboss
Jacksons are by far better

Your opinion. Not fact. Everyone is different.
I'll have my new jackson in a couple weeks and I prefer the neck for shredding over my Hellraiser, both are great guitars, but for fast lead playing you can't go wrong with a jackson.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Jackson, as it's not fat but not super thin.

And grab one in the $500-$700 range while you still can, they're changing the prices real soon.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Snake™
Jackson, as it's not fat but not super thin.

And grab one in the $500-$700 range while you still can, they're changing the prices real soon.

I agree, the DK2 series is a great deal, MIJ Guitars from 600-$750, tough to beat that.

Personally I'm getting a DK2S.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
I would go for Ibanez for the fast necks, but not the RG series, as I think it is not very well suited for metal. Try the X series, they look cool too!
A Jackson will be good too I think, haven't got a lot of experience with them...
It's all about preference. I can play certain things faster on my Tele than my PGM, for instance.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by MetalGrayFox
I would go for Ibanez for the fast necks, but not the RG series, as I think it is not very well suited for metal. Try the X series, they look cool too!
A Jackson will be good too I think, haven't got a lot of experience with them...

I would take an S Series myself, great neck, body shape and the ZR trem is great.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
The action and strings affect how fast you can play but it is also down to practice and finding a guitar that suits you.
There is no guitar that will automatically make you a fast AND accurate player, that part is up to you, a thinner neck may help you play faster but it will not make you a fast guitar player.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Quote by Necrophagist777
I would take an S Series myself, great neck, body shape and the ZR trem is great.

Yeah, but the pu's suck a$$ for metal, so you'll have to change them probably. Most ppl like the d-activators on the x series.
Well bro I think what you're looking for is Ibanez RGR321EX. Costs around 450-500$, has EMG pickups (sort of ) and has great playability. I took some 11 gauges and dropped it to C and I can tell you this thing can handle it. If you are on a limitied budget and you look for a metal axe, that's the way to go in my oppinion.
Quote by MetalGrayFox
Yeah, but the pu's suck a$$ for metal, so you'll have to change them probably. Most ppl like the d-activators on the x series.

My new jackson has a d activator in the bridge, its great.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by martinbg
Well bro I think what you're looking for is Ibanez RGR321EX. Costs around 450-500$, has EMG pickups (sort of ) and has great playability. I took some 11 gauges and dropped it to C and I can tell you this thing can handle it. If you are on a limitied budget and you look for a metal axe, that's the way to go in my oppinion.

My first guitar was an RG and I liked it, but now I realise that it wasn't very well suited for metal. Mainly because of the bodywood which is basswood. Most people prefer a mahogany or alder body for metal. And that RGR321EX has 'EMG designed' pickups, which aren't the real deal. But try the guitar, by all means. If you like it, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks about it.