so I'm thinking about modding my telecaster. What I was thinking was replacing the current bridge I have with a humbucker-spaced bridge for my Telecaster. However, doing this would make me need a new pickguard. For a humbucker, I was thinking of getting a Dimarzio Tone Zone, or something along the lines of that. I'm going to likely get the bridge of ebay, and the pickguard off of warmoth, since they can customize and cut the pickguard for free. What color scheme would you guys recommend? It's a natural finish, so the colors are 100% flexible. Also, how difficult is it to solder the new pickup in? I did a project or 2 with a soldering iron a couple years ago, so I have a little experience

tl;dr -- thinking about modding my tele, new humbucker bridge, new pickguard, new humbucker... color scheme suggestions? Also, how difficult would it be to install the pickup [have minor experience]
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar Ash
Bugera 333XL 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby >> Korg Pitchblack Tuner >> MXR Carbon Copy >> Boss DS-1
i was wondering. can you change your pick up with ANY other pickups??? cause of the shape and size ya know. i wanna change my humbuckers to emg pickups
I'm thinking of doing the exact same mod to a tele. I've built 2 guitars from parts bought on eBay and consider myself a novice when it comes to modding guitars, but I feel confident that I can do it.
All you need is a router to cut the original pickup route to fit a humbucker.
Because of the bridge hardware and pickguard, you dont have to be incredible accurate with the routing, it'll all be covered up. But be careful not to cut too big a hole that the hardware will not cover it. See the template thread to get a template for your humbucker.

Let me know how it turns out! Post some before and after pics if you can.

Good Luck!!!
•1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom, PRS Mark Holcomb Ltd Run, 2004 Les Paul Classic, Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Stndrd

•Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
•PRS Archon
•Kemper Amp Profiler
For the color scheme, I'm thinking of a blue pearl pickguard

with a green/black dimarzio tone zone

how do you guys think that would look with a natural finished tele?
Gear:
Bugera 333XL 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby >> Korg Pitchblack Tuner >> MXR Carbon Copy >> Boss DS-1
Last edited by trutrojan8 at Mar 6, 2009,
^hahahahah!

Definitely interesting! Personally I like my guitars BLACK!!!
I can see where you're going with it. Maybe the blue pickguard may go better with a yellow or white pickup?
•1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom, PRS Mark Holcomb Ltd Run, 2004 Les Paul Classic, Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Stndrd

•PRS Archon
•Kemper Amp Profiler
Quote by LTD-live
^hahahahah!

Definitely interesting! Personally I like my guitars BLACK!!!
I can see where you're going with it. Maybe the blue pickguard may go better with a yellow or white pickup?

Maybe, but I really really love the crazy color schemes of some of the jems, you know where they have like the pink and green pickups with the pink and green knobs? I think the uniqueness is awesome with those.
Gear:
Bugera 333XL 212
Yeah I hear ya...
Every ones tastes are different, none better or worse....

Here's a quick mock up of your mod. (i got curious)
Attachments:
modded-guit.jpg

•PRS Archon
•Kemper Amp Profiler
Quote by LTD-live
Yeah I hear ya...

reminds me of this telecaster a bit....
Attachments:
a786_2.JPG

•PRS Archon
•Kemper Amp Profiler
Quote by LTD-live
Yeah I hear ya...

thanks for doing that bro

I like it, how does everyone else like it?
Gear:
Bugera 333XL 212