So I'm thinking about getting a Valveking 112 to replace my Fender FM65 DSP. I need a pretty versatile amp that I can get everything from funk to metal out of. Any other suggestions, or is this my best option? If I push my budget, I might be able to spend around $800-$900, but I wouldn't go more than that.
Quote by DevilsDance76
rigeljs is on the money...

PRS 513 Mahogany>Fulltone Clyde Wah>Tonebone Classic>MXR Dyna Comp>ISP Noise Decimator>Boss TU-2>Mesa Lonestar Special
Push your budget.

Get a Mesa Mark III, ENGL Thunder, DC-5, F-50 or a Peavey Ultra or XXX. The VK doesn't get amazing until you invest $180 of upgrades in it (i.e. new speaker + eq pedal) Don't get me wrong, I love the tone now, but before it wasn't that hot.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Mar 6, 2009,
Quote by Raijouta
Push your budget.

Get a Mesa Mark III, ENGL Thunder, DC-5, F-50 or a Peavey Ultra or XXX. The VK doesn't get amazing until you invest $180 of upgrades in it (i.e. new speaker + eq pedal) Don't get me wrong, I love the tone now, but before it wasn't that hot.

I would have to agree!! Spend your cash on something a little better. I have owned a Valveking and it didn't sound that great until I swapped the speaker, put different quality tubes in it and an eq pedal. Trust me, there is better out there. Check a local guitar shop for used equipment too. You can find some really nice gems out there for your price range. Good luck!!
Epiphone Les Paul Custom(antique white, SD hot rod set zebra, no pickguard)
ESP LTD EC401(tobacco sunburst, SD Distortion pups)
Epiphone EJ 200(sunburst)
Fender DG100(natural)
Applause Strat (copy red)
Digitech RP500
Boss TU2 Tuner
I live on Guam, and we don't really have such great music shops out here, so I have to depend on things I hear and see on the internet.
What of those amps would you recommend the most?
Quote by DevilsDance76

PRS 513 Mahogany>Fulltone Clyde Wah>Tonebone Classic>MXR Dyna Comp>ISP Noise Decimator>Boss TU-2>Mesa Lonestar Special
$800-900 can get you some nice amps. the new peavey 6505 (if your playing JUST metal), maybe a marshall jcm2000 112 combo, spidervalve, Peavey classic 30, Traynor YCS50,
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
You're not going to get good funk tones and good metal tones from the same amp. Sorry.
Quote by Raijouta
Push your budget.

KI agree i bought an amp recently just cause i had the money in my budget. But If I had saved for like a couple more months I could've had an even better setup!
Dude if you have 900 dollars go for an old peavey 5150.
I loved it.
It has a great Metal Gainy Tone.
But I have to tell the truth: if you are also looking for clean its not the best.
But if you always use at least a little distortion like I do This is a Legit head!
My Guitars:
Epiphone Prophecy LP GX
(Scenic Painted) American Project Strat
LTD M-10

My Amps:
Peavey XXL
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960a 410

SELLING 360 $200USD obo
Ok, so right now I'm looking at a Mesa Mark IV. It's gonna take some saving, but I'm in no rush. Any reasons why this might be a bad idea?
Quote by DevilsDance76

Quote by rigeljs
Ok, so right now I'm looking at a Mesa Mark IV. It's gonna take some saving, but I'm in no rush. Any reasons why this might be a bad idea?

You'll be stuck with bad tone for awhile?

Maybe check out an Augusto Pedrone amp. They're a Brazilian company that makes Mesa, Soldano and Marshall clones for cheap. I believe their Mark IV clone runs about $800.

Then again, since you're in Guam, you might be better off waiting for a regular Mesa, although shipping charges on either of them will be a BITCH.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Last edited by Raijouta at Mar 7, 2009,
Quote by cnemi22
I would have to agree!! Spend your cash on something a little better. I have owned a Valveking and it didn't sound that great until I swapped the speaker, put different quality tubes in it and an eq pedal. Trust me, there is better out there. Check a local guitar shop for used equipment too. You can find some really nice gems out there for your price range. Good luck!!

What speaker and tubes did you put in it to make it better? I have a VK, and although I like it and use a foot pedal with it, I'm curious to mod it and wonder how much better it can sound. I like playing everything from country/blues to heavy rock/metal. I play it all. (One of the reasons I went with the VK in the first place).

Thanks,
Quote by imgooley
You're not going to get good funk tones and good metal tones with that kind of budget from the same amp. Sorry.

fixed. but that's probably what he meant.

Well I bet the options are a bit limited in Guam. I suggest you check as many clips as you can on the internet for different amps. Also, can you e-bay?

Edit: Unlike a lot of VK flamers, I find the amp quite versatile for what it is. Tube tone on a budget.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 7, 2009,
I have a Valveking 112 (stock, totally unmodded) and I find the sound to be perfect! I can't fault it! It gives me a great metal tone! If you want to boost it that extra bit, you can get a distortion pedal, but I like to play stuff from Kamelot to Metallica and it fits fine!

It also handles clean sounds well too! I think it would be a great amp choice!
I wouldn't recommend a VK to anyone. They're unreliable. Peavey makes some great amps, but cutting corners with the VK really shows.
Quote by Guitarmiester
They're unreliable

My VK is built like a tank. I don't experience tube rattle and have yet to change them after 9 months of owning it and traveling on bumpy Jamaican roads to various places (studios, school, friends' houses, etc) Never have I blown a fuse or otherwise had the amp **** up on me.

I do agree, though, that you do hear of people getting 'lemons' but I've heard of this happening with Mesa/Boogies, Marshalls and Fenders as well. It's certainly not as bad as Bugera's reliability track record either.

And for what it's worth the clean sound stock is pretty nice. The distorted tone is a step up from the Frontman too (even though the VK falls down here) but there's still better than the VK when your budget is in the 900s.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I bought a VK when they first came out only for it to die on me two days later. Returned it and didn't even bother having them replace it. I stopped at a local music store the other day while they were getting their shipments in. I was looking to try whatever heads they had in stock and they happen to get a 3120 and a VK in. I wasn't going to bother with the VK, but thought, "maybe it was just a one time thing. Peavey must have made some changes since the first batch of these amps being released about 5 years ago."

I left the amp in standby for a few minutes while I searched for a guitar that was anywhere near being tuned. Switched standby off and what happened? Heard nothing but an unusual loud crack noise and the amp died on the spot. I've never heard an amp make that noise in my entire life. The tubes appeared to fine while they were heating up. I turned the amp around to see what it came stock with.

Twice is more than enough to keep me from giving a VK another chance and enough to keep me from recommending them to anyone. Sure, plenty of other amps are faulty. Nothing is perfect. But, two VK's dying on me? Not exactly my idea of reliable.

No offense to VK owners, but even for a budget amp I'd keep away from a VK. Again, that's just my opinion.
i'm not an expert on what amp's better for what. but my valveking is built like a tank, and has a creat clean and drive channel. drive gets heavy enough for metal without going too overboard.
try a valveking
Well, I'm going to be in LA this summer, and probably will make several trips to the Guitar Center and Sam Ash on Sunset Blvd., so I was thinking about getting it then. But no to the Mesa Mark IV?
Quote by DevilsDance76

I'm gonna be that guy who recommends the amp nobody knows about, and say the Kustom Coupe 36. It needs volume, but it can do both of those pretty well, just get yourself an overdrive for hte real metal tones.
Those Kustoms are pretty nice too. Anyway, I'll be on the look out for all of these when I go to the mainland. Thanks again UG
Quote by DevilsDance76

Whatever you do don't get a valveking. Those amps are terrible man. I'd choose some pretty crappy solid state amps over the VK. Some Kustom amps are nice and most are nicer than the valveking. That double cross is really nice but probably out of your budget.
Your budget is pretty high, I don't really know why you are considering the VK112, unless you're going new?

Hell with $600, you could get a pretty decent amp used OR new. And, if need be, you said you'd have a few hundred left, you could pay for shipping.

I'd suggest a used Mark III or Mark IV, or one of those clones Raijouta was referring to. You could buy a Vypyr Tube and a Sanpera, although I'd personally recommend something that is NOT a modeling amp.

You never really specified what you play, and where you would like to keep your budget (besides under $800-900, but again you said "that's pushing it".
The most affordable and versatile amp I've played is the Laney TT50.
Save for that over the MESA
My Guitars:
Epiphone Prophecy LP GX
(Scenic Painted) American Project Strat
LTD M-10

My Amps:
Peavey XXL
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960a 410

SELLING 360 $200USD obo