So I thought I would start putting some stuff out there that I've built and I will use this thread to document previous projects I have done, as well as ones I will do in the future.

Light Boxes

So I had some friends from a local band called On Call Heros ( http://www.myspace.com/oncallheroes ) ask me to make them some lights that they could bring around to their shows, because they quiet often play in the dark and wanted to be seen. They also wanted to use these lights for some light effects.

So I set out to Rona, and bought a couple dimmer switches and some 500 watt work lamps. These things are bright, and hot. To keep people from burning themselves I built some boxes out of 1*12 pine boards, and covered them in spray on truck bed liner that I had left over from a guitar I refinished in it.

There are four boxes: A master control box that plugs into the wall, it has 3 dimmer switches and three outlets. Each dimmer switch controls an outlet.

There are two plain boxes with just lights in them.

And the oh so cool stomp box. This box stays off until you step on the top, which compresses a spring, which pushed a bolt down, and that bolt has nuts and large washers that push an on/off switch to the on position. Light then flows out of the top of the box, and through the bands initials that I cut into the front of the box. When you step off of the box, everything happens in reverse and the box shuts off.

The initials

The holes

Lights On

My Sophisticated switch

I've got some more stuff to go up, but thats good for now. Comments are welcome. But DO NOT ask me for the wiring on this. If you don't know enough about electricity to figure this out, you should not be playing with 120v wall power.
That footswitch is so Macguyver. I love it.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by chuckflan333
That footswitch is so Macguyver. I love it.

What ever works eh? It took forever trying to figure out how I was going to pull that one off.

8 inch open back speaker

At some point in time I ordered a bunch of parts from weber including an 8inch speaker. I was at the store and picked up some 1 by 8 maple board then chopped it up. For the baffle I just used some plywood I had kicking around and glued some thin board with a mahogany veneer on it. The box got several coats of Natural Danish Oil on it, which brought out a light grade z flame in the board which was neat. The baffle got coats of dark walnut Danish Oil. Everything is glued together and it rather sturdy. I didn't think a little cab like this would need anything excessive for strength. Over all I am very happy with the result of this.

Box after some oil.

Heavy duty clamping system applying pressure to baffle.

Random shot of the output jack.

Finished product.

Finished product rear-view.
212 and Vintage Tube Amp

So some time ago I was cruising the local used adds and ran across this little amp. A Lifco Model 630. It was manufactured by a Canadian company back in the 60/70s. It is all P2P hand wired and has 1 6AV6 for the tremolo circuit, 3 6AV6 preamp tubes, 2 6BQ5 power amp tubes and a tube rectifier. The controls are Tremolo, Volume, Treble and Bass. BTW, 6AV6 are functionally one half of a 12AX7 and 6BQ5 are EL84. The power tubes are also wired in push-pull configuration. I expect between 10-15 watts from this. Originally it came as a combo amp, but when I got it some one had changed that and put it into a shoddy make shift head enclosure. I have not yet had a chance to play this amp as I do not know what Ohm speaker I need to plug this into. I have the parts to figure it out, I just need to get there. I also expect that I will need to recap this to get it sounding good. If all else fails, I can build a new circuit in there.

I got a pretty killer deal on the speakers. A couple years ago, Long and Mcquade had a Christmas sale on, Celestion V30 speakers, buy one for $150 and get a $50 gift card. So I bought one, and used the gift card to buy the second. And kept the other card for some other time. The box has a 2by4 frame that is covered in 1/2 inch plywood. Because I bought cheep plywood the surface was never going to be sanded flat, so I started covering it in fiberglass resin to help smooth and level things out. I found this sweet looking wine red nogahide in a local store so I bought a bunch up and covered the boxes with it. All brass hardware was used for everything. On the back of the 212 I routed a small channel where I stuffed a thin brass bar for aesthetic reasons. The box weighs a ton so it is on casters. As a side note, the new face plate, and the plates on the back of the amp for the power plug, that was salvaged from a computer power supply, and the speaker jacks where all cut from a brace kick plate for a door.

The amp when I got it.

The amp guts.

Uncovered boxes.

The amp with a new faceplate.

Partially completed 212.

Vanity Square.

Amp in its new home.

Complete amp with a pair of guitars. I will bet a better pick in the morning.
That 2-12 and head is so beautiful.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I'm diggin those guitars, man.
Good work on all this stuff.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
very cool builds
Gear

Jarrett Custom Les Paul
Epiphone Les Paul
Ibanez Artcore AS73
what's the wiring for that?

holy **** though. That's amazing stuff man.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by guitarcam123
wow, very nice. What wood did you use for the 1 speaker cab?

The Box was just plain old maple and the baffle is a mahogany veneer on ply.

Quote by chuckflan333
That 2-12 and head is so beautiful.

Thank you. I was going for the whole classy understated look. Something I could imagine in the back corner of a smokey jazz club.

Quote by BD 425
I'm diggin those guitars, man.
Good work on all this stuff.

Thanks you to you to. I will post the guitar assemblies later.

Quote by josh15742
very cool builds

Thanks.

Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
what's the wiring for that?

holy **** though. That's amazing stuff man.

I knew some one was going to ask for the wiring on those despite my disclaimer. My band friends even questioned me on the whole wiring thing. They thought the boxes were going to catch on fire and burn the place down. They had reason to believe me though, I drafted up ideas as to how to build a flam thrower into a guitar. I haven't started that build yet, but it will some time. And thanks. I've got some more stuff, I'll get to that a bit later though.
Hi,
I have a Lifco 630; seems to work fine but have 2 questions: 1 what ohms speaker? the tremolo does not seem to do anything? Which 6LV6 creates it? Would have the circuit?
Thanks
Quote by rakos
Hi,
I have a Lifco 630; seems to work fine but have 2 questions: 1 what ohms speaker? the tremolo does not seem to do anything? Which 6LV6 creates it? Would have the circuit?
Thanks

I doubt you will find a response from the original poster. This thread is 3 years old after all. Here is a schematic for the amp from a quick google search of "Lifco 630 Schematic."

It doesn't show the correct speaker load, but a thread from my search said 4 ohms. I can't guarantee it, but that's what I've found.

http://web.ncf.ca/ac151/lifco630_2_Draft0.pdf