Page 1 of 2
I bought my amp, a Vypyr 75, in Nov., so the amp is out of the question. The only thing i can think of is basically a warmoth build. Problem is, I wouldn't have enough for what I want (Basically a Frankie with a neck P/U). Pickups seem like a good idea but I'll just get some duncans... only about $130. That leaves $370 out there. I'm in the middle of a squier refurb, but I may turn it into a partscaster by replacing the body.
Any ideas EG?
Thanks in advance
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 6, 2009,
Hardshell flight case?
Dunlop Wah-wah?
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
save up... dont just spend money just to spend it.
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Locking tuners, Strap locks, new nut. Whatever.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Problem is, what in the world to save for?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Well, this is just my opinion but id keep saving until I KNOW I really want something.

I do agree with pedals though.
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Nah, no pedals... don't need 'em! Hooray for good quality modeling amps.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
Nah, no pedals... don't need 'em! Hooray for good quality modeling amps.

Eww @ Modeling amps... Amps & effects should be separate >;@.
But meh.

Get a nice case, some nice pickups&electronics and then cool accessories, like straps and stuff.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Yeah, somewhat. Problem is I only have $500 and unequipped PC's.
Quote by Jesstaa
Eww @ Modeling amps... Amps & effects should be separate >;@.
But meh.

Get a nice case, some nice pickups&electronics and then cool accessories, like straps and stuff.

I disagree with the first part, but otherwise good ideas.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 6, 2009,
Get EMG 81/85s instead. Then get a lot of music. No downloading, don't be a twat.
Quote by MetalOblivion93
The Philosopher = Smart
The Philosopher = Win

Quote by sashki
Slayer wrote a negative song about you because you considered the possibility of them writing a positive song.

JOIN THE PS3 ALLIANCE GROUP
Actually, Duncan blackouts. $174, then I'll pay for the wiring. Should come out to about 150 for wiring. I haven't said this, but 2/5 of the money is from my aunt as a present. Probably will do the blackouts as that, then pay out of my pocket for the install.
This still leaves 175. Ideas?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I say save up for some concert tickets. Its a great time for a concert goer. The Kreator/Exodus/Belphegor tour, the Slayer/Cannibal Corpse/Behemoth tour, the Mayhem/Marduk/Cephalic Carnage/Cattle Decapitation tour, Absu/Glorior Belli, suffocation, black label society, meshuggah (I think).

Otherwise id say go for strap locks, a nice case, a nice strap, maybe get a kickass paintjob for you guitar?
hm, maybe a GFS body and a Gotoh/Wilkinson trem? $165.

Hey, when is another real metal band gonna be in Boston/Worcester? Gio?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I would say save it for when you really need it.

Whether it be an upgrade from a Squier to a Fender, a Epiphone to a Gibson, a new effect that you suddenly are dying to get, a sudden freak accident with your guitar resulting in your guitar needing a new -insert part-.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by (Metal)lica
save up... dont just spend money just to spend it.

I agree
Spending money just because you have it is a bad habit/idea.One day you may want some really nice piece of gear,and find yourself 500 dollars short,then you'll regret spending the money haphazardly.I speak from experience on this one,since I've done the same thing several times .

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

It's the whole "money burning a hole in my pocket" thing, you know?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
It's the whole "money burning a hole in my pocket" thing, you know?

Yeah,I know all too well haha.It's tempting to get *insert random thing* because you can afford it,but you have to look at the long run IMO.You could spend the money on pedals,which you may or may not use,or you could tack that cash onto your guitar fund in the future and get something really nice.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I would suggest getting a really nice OD, Analog Delay and MAYBE a wah pedal. With the OD and Delay, you should have enough left over to get your pickups, too. A Tubescreamer clone (the BBE, Digitech Hardwire and Maxon models are all amazing) should run you around $100 and a good analog delay (like an older Arion or Rockman unit or a Carbon Copy) should run you $75-150, leaving you with enough for a set of good pickups. Combine that with the Vypr, and you're at least on your way to getting amazing tone. Then the only thing in your way to better tone is the Vypr itself.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
If you're buying pedals, $240 for a Fulltone CSW Clyde standard wah, $60 for a Russian Big Muff, $100 on an Ibanez TS9, and $100 on an EHX #1 Echo.

If not, save a bit more and buy a custom Carvin?(I know you said no guitars, but a custom guitar can set you for life.)
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by necrosis1193
If you're buying pedals, $240 for a Fulltone CSW Clyde standard wah, $60 for a Russian Big Muff, $100 on an Ibanez TS9, and $100 on an EHX #1 Echo.

If not, save a bit more and buy a custom Carvin?(I know you said no guitars, but a custom guitar can set you for life.)

I don't know, necro. I know the TS-9 is a nice pedal, but... there are better pedals for the money that are far more versatile and offer the same tone as the TS9. Going Ibanez RI these days isn't the wisest choice, though I can't argue the Clyde wah and Big muff at all... those are fantastic pedals... but Ibanez doesn't do their own pedals justice anymore.

edit: I guess if you do replace the opamp and diodes in the TS9, it gets the spot on vintage tone, but... why not by a clone that does the job out of the box with more versatility.
Last edited by Thomme at Mar 7, 2009,
Do you have the Sanpera II footswitch for the Vyper yet?
Apparently it really makes the amp shine,
and its expensive as hell, so it'll cool that burning whole in your pocket.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Thomme
I don't know, necro. I know the TS-9 is a nice pedal, but... there are better pedals for the money that are far more versatile and offer the same tone as the TS9. Going Ibanez RI these days isn't the wisest choice, though I can't argue the Clyde wah and Big muff at all... those are fantastic pedals... but Ibanez doesn't do their own pedals justice anymore.

edit: I guess if you do replace the opamp and diodes in the TS9, it gets the spot on vintage tone, but... why not by a clone that does the job out of the box with more versatility.

Eh, I've been able to shift through the crap most of them are to find my TS9DX, much like Gibson nowadays it's just a matter of finding a gem(Each does sound somewhat different despite all saying "Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer"). That and if he's like me and can't solder for the life of him, he can't build one.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 7, 2009,
Quote by necrosis1193
Eh, I've been able to shift through the crap most of them are to find my TS9DX, much like Gibson nowadays it's just a matter of finding a gem(Each does sound somewhat different despite all saying "Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer"). That and if he's like me and can't solder for the life of him, he can't build one.

true... true. All three of my TS's sound fairly differant, but I can dial in the TS9 sound with my Bad Monkey and then some when it comes to gain. It's not a spot on perfect TS9 sound, but it does it. My TS-809 ( call it that cause I thought I meshed the best of both worlds) build that I did (while it worked... I can't solder too well, either) was just this nasty, raunchy OD that really pushed the limits, when I tried to dial is back, I jacked the soldering I'd done and I haven't fixed it since. My BBE, though, is much smoother and the most musical of the three. The TS9DX is a nice and versatile pedal though. I always forget about the DX model. I guess it's a matter of finding the model that most fits you. There are ALOT out there.
Hmm...true. Suppose I should replace "TS9" with "OD for $100 or less" then?

Quote by necrosis1193
Hmm...true. Suppose I should replace "TS9" with "OD for $100 or less" then?

I'd say more "around $100-150" actually... I haven't really played many OD's under 100 that pull off the tone well. I mean... the BBE goes for about $100, the Bad Monkey for $50, the Maxon for $120, the Digitech Hardwire for around $110. They all have fairly similar tones, but vary in certain ways... but a good OD is essential.

Quote by blind.quardian
TS - do you have a squier?

Epi plaintop Standard, 'cording to his profile. It's a good launching ground.
I know, but any more than $100 and with everything else you go over the budget. I'd lower something else, but the Fulltone is truly the best wah I've ever tried, the Russian muff, in addition to my liking it's tone more, it's the cheapest quality muff, and the delay, the #1 Echo is the cheapest delay I think'd work well(Not that it's bad, EHX just makes low-priced stuff in contrast to other things in their fields).

Quote by necrosis1193
I know, but any more than $100 and with everything else you go over the budget. I'd lower something else, but the Fulltone is truly the best wah I've ever tried, the Russian muff, in addition to my liking it's tone more, it's the cheapest quality muff, and the delay, the #1 Echo is the cheapest delay I think'd work well(Not that it's bad, EHX just makes low-priced stuff in contrast to other things in their fields).

I don't know, man. I've yet to find anything to rival my Arion SAD-1. The only qualm I have with it is that it isn't true bypass. I mean, you can get longer delays, but you can't really get anything that's a warmer, more natural delay... 'cept the Rockman this guy I used to play with had... damn him and his awesome rockman. The carbon copy is the closet new production I've found to the Arion, but it lacks the warmth. I gotta admit, that Clyde is a GREAT wah, though and the Big Muff is hard to surpass, but... the Big Muff (to me, at least) isn't an essential effect, but people have differing tastes and needs.
Man did you guys forget he is using a modelling amp? Buying an od would be a waste of money man, as would pickups because its a modelling amp, changing pickups isn't gonna make much of a change. I'd say keep it and save up for a new guitar/Gear in the future.
Quote by JoePerry4life
Man did you guys forget he is using a modelling amp? Buying an od would be a waste of money man, as would pickups because its a modelling amp, changing pickups isn't gonna make much of a change. I'd say keep it and save up for a new guitar/Gear in the future.

not true. I spent a summer playing on a Spider II and pickup changes and pedals did make a difference in tone. Though, not as much as I would see once I was playing on my tube amps, it still made a difference. Playing a duncan 59 through a well dial DS-1 into the Spider II sounded much better than then Spider II's built in distortion with the Inavder pickup the stock pups had. Modeling amps may not have the best tone, but they don't completely mask the tone of the guitar and pedals. The Vypr (though I haven't had the pleasure) is supposed to be far better than the Line 6 spiders. I'd imagine he'd see a much better response than I did.
Wah pedal. As for other pedals..do you really need them? the Vypyr is a modelling amp and has got enough of stuff you can use, and they sound pretty good. I suggest modding your guitar. New pickups, new nut, new tuners, new bridge even?
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
Last edited by the_wayward_one at Mar 7, 2009,
One of my mates got custom pickups, can't remember where from, i'll try and find out where, cause he said they put everything else he had ever heard, to shame
Quote by oneblackened
hm, maybe a GFS body and a Gotoh/Wilkinson trem? $165.

Hey, when is another real metal band gonna be in Boston/Worcester? Gio?

I don't really listen to metal anymore but YEAH BOSTON. That being said you should buy the sanpera II footswitch for your viper (or do the smart thing and save up your money)
UG's Prodigal Son
Well, I already have the Sanpera 1.
But yeah, probably will do an overhaul on hardware/pickups on my LP.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Page 1 of 2