I was listening to the sound samples of a Big Muff Pi Dist./Sustainer pedal on musiciansfriend.com and it sounded incredibly muddy and it was difficult to find what notes the guy was actually playing. I think it sounded like sh*t!

Is this HONESTLY what a Big Muff Pi sounds like!? For that price???
You must be new to fuzz.

Also: I think you sound like ****. That doesn't mean you do. See what I did there?
Quote by The.new.guy
I was listening to the sound samples of a Big Muff Pi Dist./Sustainer pedal on musiciansfriend.com and it sounded incredibly muddy and it was difficult to find what notes the guy was actually playing. I think it sounded like sh*t!

Is this HONESTLY what a Big Muff Pi sounds like!? For that price???

I just bought one. The point of the pedal is to sound muddy and undefined. Its my favorite pedal by far!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
first of all, fuzz is usually muddy. and the settings used make a huge difference. i have one and it sounds awsome.
But, if you want to hear it, go to a music shop and try it out yourself. Trust me, it sounds way better in person than with crappy recording software
I got one last week and I love it. Any time you hear something on your computer, it has been recorded and then played through your speakers. Chances are very good it won't sound anything like being live.
Big muffs have a tendency to be muddy on lower tone settings, but that why I love them so.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
i like the russian muff
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
I sold my big muff pi. It took me two years to decide to buy one after trying it many times and in the end I only kept it for a couple of months. I guess it is just not for me.
the USA version does sound muddy and crap for rhythm work imo. But it's my favourite thing ever for lead playing.

I've heard the russian version is a bit more defined sounding, though.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I tried the Big Muff out in my local guitar store. It sounds a million times better than on videos. Like Blompcube said, for rhythm it ain't that great, but for lead it's the best thing by far.
Muffs are great, but not for everything. They are kickass for stoner rock/metal and shoegaze. You just have to know when it is appropriate.
EDIT: That price? They are fairly cheap as far as commercial pedals go.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I just bought a Russian Muff and I love it. I play it through my Blues Jr with a TS9 in front and I can get an insane range of tones. I'm into desert and stoner rock but also garage rock and classic rock and with this simple setup I can do so much.
If you look at it contextually in the realm of sound reinforcement effects for a guitar, fuzzy and muddy are pretty much synonymous. So there you go.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Well they are fuzzes and are kinda meant for that sorta sloppy, messy, crazy sound.

I just played a USA at GC today, Fender Mexi Strat to a Fender Blues Deluxe (I think) sounded awesome, I really want one even more now
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Sorry for being a pedal n00b but what's the difference in tone between the Russian and the USA model?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by imgooley
You must be new to fuzz.

Also: I think you sound like ****. That doesn't mean you do. See what I did there?

100% correct and 100% agreed. As usual Gooley proves his awesomeness.

Quote by oneblackened
Sorry for being a pedal n00b but what's the difference in tone between the Russian and the USA model?

Russia model has easier battery compartment access, no AC power jack though. It's also smaller. Tonally it's smoother. Your call really.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
i've played both (albeit the russian, or sovtek, one pretty briefly) but what i heard was a little less fuzz on the russian model, and a little less bass too. this could have just been me, or the fact that i was playing a totally different rig and guitar than my own, but that's the conclusion i got.
i play noisy hardcore in the vein of coalesce interrupted by lots of isis-esque riffage and ambience, with a healthy dose of screamo dynamics ala funeral diner. it even sounds good sometimes!
Quote by jacobthesnakeob
i've played both (albeit the russian, or sovtek, one pretty briefly) but what i heard was a little less fuzz on the russian model, and a little less bass too. this could have just been me, or the fact that i was playing a totally different rig and guitar than my own, but that's the conclusion i got.

The Sovtek actually has a lot more bass response. It's a widely-used bass distortion pedal for that reason.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
Quote by VisionaryTics
The Sovtek actually has a lot more bass response. It's a widely-used bass distortion pedal for that reason.

Aye, sounded brilliant when I used it on the bass I played at band on Saturday.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Uhm... I assume you aren't aquainted with fuzz pedals?

Anyways, the USA Muff is a little muddy for me... I'm a treble junkie and need my tone to soudn like it could cut through diamond. The Russian Muff is much more pleasant to my ear, and has much clearer tones.
It's a pedal that does well when applied to the right situation. I like my Russian Big Muff. I used it in the mp3 clips... "Streetwise" and "Loop Noodle Soup" in my profile.