Page 1 of 2
I recently watched a very disturbing video on youtube of this guy who basically went on and on about how thrashers are close minded people and how we need to learn and search for more styles, such styles as like folk metal, viking metal and all that jazz, dont get me wrong im pretty flexable when it comes to metal I like most of all the types but this really pissed me off because thrash is prolly my fav and is where alot of the folk and viking stuff all came from. What are your guys thoughts?

KEEP IT METAL!!! \m/\m/
I listen to thrash. And folk, and Viking metal. I'm closed minded?
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
i like just about all metal
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by flamedragon88
I recently watched a very disturbing video on youtube of this guy who basically went on and on about how thrashers are close minded people and how we need to learn and search for more styles, such styles as like folk metal, viking metal and all that jazz, dont get me wrong im pretty flexable when it comes to metal I like most of all the types but this really pissed me off because thrash is prolly my fav and is where alot of the folk and viking stuff all came from. What are your guys thoughts?

KEEP IT METAL!!! \m/\m/

There's your problem.
You were really disturbed by a guy saying metalheads are close minded? Who the **** actually cares what anyone says on youtube, its infested with retards.
I saw a video on youtube about a guy who was responding to a video on youtube and he was talking about atheism. He was going on and on about how ur dum. Long story short, he's wrong, the distinction between weak atheism and strong atheism is a distinction made by agnostic pussies. We're all godless heathens, let's just accept that and move on.

This is a thread about people spewing their worthless opinion in youtube videos, jah?
They probably mean completely other styles not sub genres of metal. Most metal heads dabble in all forms of metal, but i love folk and heavy stuff like falconer and bathory and stuff like that. Then again blues is sexy as hell and so fun to play. Jazz is complicated and i dont know much about it to be honest =/ but rock and stuff like that is cool. I recognize the music for the music not the genre.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
haha wow, ive never heard that...
i listen to thrash, blues, rock, classic rock, standards (frank sinatra)
Quote by M Power
WTF is viking metal lol

basically a type of folk(ish) metal with viking lyrics.
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
YES, THRASHERS ARE CLOSED MINDED. or at least the ones i know. I like metal but these guys make a mockary of it. They listen to like 2 underground bands and say that everybody else sucks. They play guitar very very badly and think they're amazing. They say they play "progressive thrash metal" but it's horrible.
I saw a video on youtube of a guy kicking himself in the head...

maybe it was the same guy
you need to leave
Edit: to guy above fowles
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
Quote by boyan89
Anybody can be close minded.

True. But **** that guy. I'm a thrash kinda guy... and i'm not close-minded at all. Atleast I don't think so.

Hell, I'm a blues fan too. they're like polar opposites...
Quote by enselmis
YES, THRASHERS ARE CLOSED MINDED. or at least the ones i know. I like metal but these guys make a mockary of it. They listen to like 2 underground bands and say that everybody else sucks. They play guitar very very badly and think they're amazing. They say they play "progressive thrash metal" but it's horrible.

anyone who thinks that everyone who listens to a certain genre all thinks the same is close minded.

not to mention a fucking hypocrite in your case.
Quote by enselmis

GTFO!
ha, fowles owned you
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
I'm a mega thrasher, and I'm listening to Amon Amarth right now lol. But we're defiantly not close minded. And I think I read somewhere recentlyish that Dave Mustaine listens to a bit of Jazz. So... Nerr.

No Dave/Megadeth bashing, kay?
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
i think whoever said that is closed minded because they only listen to metal. seriously, viking metal? folk metal? its all good music but they're both so similar and it appears that's all they listen to! they need to open their mind to classical, jazz, blues, rock, everything that led to what they listen to. also progressive, shred, ambient/atmospheric kind of stuff. if they would open their mind and look around they would see that there's tons of great music out there spanning many genres.
Quote by cloud041089
i think whoever said that is closed minded because they only listen to metal. seriously, viking metal? folk metal? its all good music but they're both so similar and it appears that's all they listen to! they need to open their mind to classical, jazz, blues, rock, everything that led to what they listen to. also progressive, shred, ambient/atmospheric kind of stuff. if they would open their mind and look around they would see that there's tons of great music out there spanning many genres.

I think we all listened to classic rock, blues and all the stuff leading up to metal.

Hardly anyone goes from lullabies to Dying Fetus....
I can see why someone might draw the conclusion that thrashers are closed minded, but it's not because of thrash and it's not because of thrashers.

It's because thrash is probably the largest and most "mainstream" subgenre of metal and it has the largest following. If you skimmed the surface of people who listen to metal, most of the people you'd find would either listen primarily to thrash or tell you they started out with thrash. Most people who get into metal start with thrash, it's like the gateway. As a result, thrash is huge. The reality is not that thrashers are closed minded, it's that there are more thrashers than anyone else so there appears to be a larger percentage of closed minded people within the subgenre's following.
Last edited by madbasslover at Mar 6, 2009,
Quote by ThyHorrorCosmic
IMO it's not called closed minded, it's called listening to music you enjoy.

and refusing to listen to anything else?
Quote by madbasslover
I can see why someone might draw the conclusion that thrashers are closed minded, but it's not because of thrash and it's not because of thrashers.

It's because thrash is probably the largest and most "mainstream" subgenre of metal and it has the largest following. If you skimmed the surface of people who listen to metal, most of the people you'd find would either listen primarily to thrash or tell you they started out with thrash. Most people who get into metal start with thrash, it's like the gateway. As a result, thrash is huge. The reality is not that thrashers are closed minded, it's that there are more thrashers than anyone else so there appears to be a larger percentage of closed minded people within the subgenre's following.

Eh, the leading American bands certainly had more success than the rest, but I wouldn't say that the genre itself is the most mainstream. More people probably get into metal via The Black Album or Countdown to Extinction than via Master of Puppets or Peace Sells.
Quote by fowles06
I think we all listened to classic rock, blues and all the stuff leading up to metal.

Hardly anyone goes from lullabies to Dying Fetus....

as far as metal goes i started with stuff like linkin park and breaking benjamin to slipknot and korn to children of bodom and in flames. i've always loved japanese rpg music (lots of classical) and once i got really into neo-classical shred/metal i worked my way down to actual classical. and just recently classic rock.
Quote by HamburgerBoy
Eh, the leading American bands certainly had more success than the rest, but I wouldn't say that the genre itself is the most mainstream. More people probably get into metal via The Black Album or Countdown to Extinction than via Master of Puppets or Peace Sells.

When I say mainstream, I don't mean "radio friendly" mainstream. I mean it gets the most exposure and it's the one that most people start with. I got into metal through Slayer. I moved on to (in my opinion) bigger, better things, but a lot of people stick with thrash after they get into it.
Im a thrasher through and through, but Im huge into Death metal and starting to get into black metal now. It's my need for that heavier, darker, faster sound, you know?
Quote by MetalOblivion93
The Philosopher = Smart
The Philosopher = Win

Quote by sashki
Slayer wrote a negative song about you because you considered the possibility of them writing a positive song.

JOIN THE PS3 ALLIANCE GROUP
u know a metal band is mainstream when you ask a 15 year old girl "whats metal?" and she says Metallica.
Quote by madbasslover
When I say mainstream, I don't mean "radio friendly" mainstream. I mean it gets the most exposure and it's the one that most people start with. I got into metal through Slayer. I moved on to (in my opinion) bigger, better things, but a lot of people stick with thrash after they get into it.

I wouldn't say it gets the most exposure. Well, not what I would classify as thrash metal anyway (Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica, Testament, ect.), I know a few metalheads, and they either have very little knowledge of them, or none at all. So Thrash definitely isn't the most mainstream/popular genre in Metal... I'd say the newer genres/death metal are. For example, I know of like 20+ death metal bands in my area, but no thrash bands.

Edit: Also, when you mention metal these days, everyone just thinks death metal. So I'd say death metal is the most mainstream genre.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Mar 7, 2009,
I know some metal heads who like thrash, but not much else because the other subgenres aren't metal enough : /
I've noticed UG's had more pseudo-open minded douchebags lately...
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by Shrexter
You were really disturbed by a guy saying metalheads are close minded? Who the **** actually cares what anyone says on youtube, its infested with retards.

Here's a new one...Youtubers are close minded.
I think when we say mainstream we don't mean the metalheads...cuz how many people who listen to metal are actually metalheads?

like 90% of my friends who dont like metal...listen to thrash.

and about the deathmetal bands in your area...obviously people who are in a band are going to be in a death metal band. People who are in metal bands are true metalheads, and not just the occasional thrash listener (not saying that thrashers arn't true metalheads)
Quote by fowles06
I think when we say mainstream we don't mean the metalheads...cuz how many people who listen to metal are actually metalheads?

like 90% of my friends who dont like metal...listen to thrash.

and about the deathmetal bands in your area...obviously people who are in a band are going to be in a death metal band. People who are in metal bands are true metalheads, and not just the occasional thrash listener (not saying that thrashers arn't true metalheads)

This is the sort of thing I was trying to get at with what I said.
Page 1 of 2