So I am looking at pedals under $100. I think it comes down to the

Boss obd-3
MXR El grande fuzz
EHX bass big muff pi

All of my guitar pedals are Boss so I kind of want to stick with boss but I also would like to give something else a try. I dont think I need super heavy distortion, but I would like something versatile. What do most of you guys use? I honestly think I will be playing mostly clean but would still like dist/od. I play mostly rhcp type stuff.
I'm pretty sure Flea uses an ODB-3. Still, try diversifying.

Also, read my sig.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
The Boss ODB-3 is probably the worst pedal in existence. You can either have a muddy, fuzzy rumbling or ear-shattering screech. It's pretty horrid. AVOID!

And the other pedals you mentioned are Fuzzes (sp?), out of them I find the MXR one is excellent, the Muff, even with the added low end, still leaves alot to be disired. IMO.

If your looking for more of a hard distortion look at the MXR Blowtorch or AMT Communist Pig.

Check ebay for some deals. **** man, right now there is a Fulltone Bass Drive going for 57 bucks.
Quote by bboyjon
So I am looking at pedals under $100. I think it comes down to the

Boss obd-3
MXR El grande fuzz
EHX bass big muff pi

All of my guitar pedals are Boss so I kind of want to stick with boss but I also would like to give something else a try. I dont think I need super heavy distortion, but I would like something versatile. What do most of you guys use? I honestly think I will be playing mostly clean but would still like dist/od. I play mostly rhcp type stuff.

On it's own, the ODB-3 is very flexible, but if you actually like any of those sounds is another thing. On it's own, I think it is horrible, but I have found that in the effects loop of my Q-tron+ it gives a very synthy fuzz.

The other two are just different sounding fuzzes, and IMO and limited experience with both, I would say both leave a fair bit to be desired. Niehter sounds bad, and neither has any glaring design flaws (although the BBM does cut mids a bit, that is part of the "muff" tone), but neither would satisfy me for fuzz needs.

Really, you will simply have to have a very sensible trial of as many as you can get hold of. I say sensible, as you will need to be very objective, about the sounds you are getting, rather than simply getting the crazy sounds out, buying, and realising it sucks for anything besides noise making.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Dunno if you can get one for under $100 or not, but everytime this sorta question comes up, I have to point out how Awesome the Ashdown James LoMenzo Hyperdrive is
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I like the odb-3. I rarely use it for anything but fairly subtle OD, or as a boost pedal. Sometimes i combine it with an octaver, and make a synthy fuzz sort of sound. I would say try them all if you can. But if you only want subtle stuff, the other two wont do it imo.
Check out the SansAmp Bass Driver, it's a $200 pedal but I'm sure you can find it for much cheaper on Ebay or something similar.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
I have an MXR Bass Fuzz and think it's great. I'm really impressed by it. However, I run a BBE Sonic Maximizer in my loop as a low-end boost and treble tamer, and it's my secret weapon. Absolutely insane tones from that pedal, being used in ways completely contradictory to ways I thought.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I use the Boss ODB-3 and love it. But as you can see from this page, it's a very hit or miss pedal. Lots of people love it, lots of people hate it.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
i just got the ehx bass big muff and its pretty cool. the distortion is really thick and low
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
I have the bass big muff pi and i realy like it. You can get alot of different sounds from it. But i have also heard good things about the other effects. So try them out and see witch one you like.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
I use the Boss ODB-3 and love it. But as you can see from this page, it's a very hit or miss pedal. Lots of people love it, lots of people hate it.

I use mine to get a bit of a raw edge in my blues group, but it does take a considerable amount of tweaking to get the right tone. Its really more fuzzy than distorted.
im a noob at bass, but im an expert at guitar. but if it matters i DID see this in action on a review and it sounded great. and its only 74 USD

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Electro-Harmonix-XO-Bass-Blogger-Distortion-Effects-Pedal-528001-i1421999.gc
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
The ODB-3 is ****. Boss pedals as a whole generally are, to be honest. My girlfriend uses an MXR El Grande, and it sounds amazing, but I personally prefer the Bass Big Muff... as with every "which [...] should I get" thread, it really comes down to having to try all of the products you're considering and choosing based on your preference.
dont get an ODB3 whatever you do! The MXR pedal is great, but the bass big muff loses less low end. So i'de probably go for that. + You can always rely on EHX pedals!
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
go play them all, see which one you like the best. I would recomend the Bass Big Muff though, I love mine
None of these. Save up and get a Wounded Paw Attack Goat. My friend owns one and I got to try it. Amazing.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by lorrythebassguy
dont get an ODB3 whatever you do! The MXR pedal is great, but the bass big muff loses less low end. So i'de probably go for that. + You can always rely on EHX pedals!

The MXR can add more low end. It can make a bass sound like a jet engine.
I use a Boss-ML2 Metalcore, it gives me really heavy distortion without cutting too much of my low end. It only cost me about 108 dollars. Though if you're not playing you might get a little feedback, but that can be solved by turning the distortion down a little.
I realized I was god when I prayed and saw that I was talking to myself.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
None of these. Save up and get a Wounded Paw Attack Goat. My friend owns one and I got to try it. Amazing.

that...is the most epic name of a pedal i have heard thus far.
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
^ ya. Bassfuzz.com has a great review of it, BTW.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Personally, I like the EBS Valvedrive. It's an actual tube overdrive pedal/pre-amp. It's a bit pricey, but totally worth it in my book. I've been meaning to put recordings of it in use on my profile but haven't gotten around to it. I will eventually though.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
The Ashdown Hyperdrive is consistently highlighted for value for money, check it out on bassplayer.com under TV, under James Lomenzo, or the bass guitar magazine review (if you dont trust James Lomezo's unbiased opinion) on their website.

^ Indeed. Some serious dope smoking went into that marketing department. But I am tempted to discover quite what an 'Attack Goat' is...