I've been getting by using a vox tonelab through a fender stage 160, but the time has come for a nice tube combo amp.

I want a good raw distortion sound, preferrably EL-34's (a 'rise against' type sound) and a nice clean channel that I can run very clean or bluesy-dirty. (Think hard punk-ska stuff)

I have a half stack and it is ridiculous to haul around, so I want this one to be a combo amp (2x12"s) and at least 50W (we play loud).

Finally, I want an amp that has some decent bass response (because my fender has none-even with an EQ), our other guitarist plays through a line6 flextone II XL and that thing puts me to shame! It sounds pretty damn good to me, so I want something that can offer a similar amount of 'thump'.

This will be my band practice and gigging amp. I want to spend a max of $1000, probably used, and cheaper is better.

Suggestions appreciated!!
peavey jsx? marshall dsl or tsl? bugera 333xl-212?

any of these are worth a look. pretty sure the bugera comes with el34s. its 120W too, and its cheaper than the other two (i think... they are in aus anyway)

all 3 should be within your budget, even new

people will flame me for bugera, but really, the reliability issues are not as big as people make them out to be
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Last edited by Bob_Smith at Mar 7, 2009,
I recommend the Bugera 333XL if you're looking to save a couple of bucks, I have the halfstack and it's amazing. Although, the "dirty bluesy clean channel" doesn't really apply here, the Bugera's clean channel is clean until you crank the channel volume up and then it only even distorts very slightly. Toss a Bad Monkey or Tubescreamer in front of it and you'll be good to go, though.
someone agrees with me
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by voxAC30TBguy
mesa road king 2x12 or a used marshal jcm800 combo 2x12.

ive never really listened to any rise against stuff, but id say that the jcm 800 isnt gainy enough. not sure about the road king
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Easy.... Peavey 3120. It's going to give you the el34's it's going to give you a tight lead channel and a good clean channel. A good crunch channel for the blues. Perfection. It's 999 bucks too. You can get it for 899 at guitar center I think right now. I believe theres a 10 percent off coupon somewhere.
Is the Peavey 3120 coming out as a combo? I've only seen it as a head.

I'll have to give the Bugera a try.

Would a Peavey 5150/6505 2x12 combo suite my needs? I've only heard good things about them.

Thanks for the suggestions!
One side comment, I'd vote stick w/ a 50 watt...the perceived volume difference between 50 watt and 100 watts is about 12% actually (you ears don't hear things linearly), so you MIGHT be able to start to overdrive the PA in a 50 watt, amp...a lot more likely than in a 100 watt amp. Costs more to retube a 100 watt, it's heavier and bulkier, etc.

Not saying you shouldn't if you find something that fits your style, just something to keep in the back of your mind.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
check out some carvin combos aswell as traynor
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
I agree with 50W, I don't want to drown out the rest of the band at practice.

I have a JCM900 100W halfstack (way overkill and I don't want to haul it around), maybe an 800 combo would do well.

I would LOVE a 2x12 road king or roadster combo, but I doubt I'll find one for less than $1000.

I will def. give the Bugera a try, but reliability is big with me, nothing worse than having an amp go down.

Again, I've only seen the 3120 as a head, is this out as a combo??

To those who suggested carvin or traynor, what models would fit this well, and does their distortion channel hold up to something like a marshall?

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Quote by placeboeffect81
I agree with 50W, I don't want to drown out the rest of the band at practice.

I have a JCM900 100W halfstack (way overkill and I don't want to haul it around), maybe an 800 combo would do well.

I would LOVE a 2x12 road king or roadster combo, but I doubt I'll find one for less than $1000.

I will def. give the Bugera a try, but reliability is big with me, nothing worse than having an amp go down.

Again, I've only seen the 3120 as a head, is this out as a combo??

To those who suggested carvin or traynor, what models would fit this well, and does their distortion channel hold up to something like a marshall?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

No the 3120 is not a combo and it doesn't come in 50 watts. But I mean theres barely any volume difference in 50 watts and 100 watts and I think 120 watts sounds perfect in my situation. I turn it up to the correct level with my band and it sounds awesome. I don't drown anyone out. It fits perfect.