i recently aquired a vintage elk 30 stageman amp, this is practically a fender princeton clone. my problem is that it has a blown fuse but it does not give any clues to what to look for in a replacement except that is 250 volts.

can anyone help me with this?
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Can you post pics of the fuse?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
Jackson DKMG

Amps:
Peavey 5150 212
Pedals:
BBE Grean Screamer
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Electroharmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Korg Pitch Black
my camera isnt working, but one end of the fuse say 250 volt and the other says bussagc3, and to add right underneath of the fuse holder it says fuse 1A.
That's a good start with the voltage and amperage specs. It's a 1 amp fuse rated at 250v. BUSSAGC3 might be the manufacturer's part number. This is important because fuses come in many types. It could be a slow blow, or regular, etc. Try researching that to see if it is in fact a part number.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
Jackson DKMG

Amps:
Peavey 5150 212
Pedals:
BBE Grean Screamer
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Korg Pitch Black
http://www.thefind.com/garden/info-250v-fuse
Check this site and see if any of them match. The important part is getting the voltage and amperage specs matched. And the size. Look at the pics and see if any are compatible.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
Jackson DKMG

Amps:
Peavey 5150 212
Pedals:
BBE Grean Screamer
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Korg Pitch Black
thanks for helping, u have helped alot by the way

kay, this elk amps are very rare because the company went out of business in the 70's, but i was able to find an schemtic for the amp http://www.drtube.com/schematics/elk/es-30.gif

what would the diffence between a slow blow and fast acting fuse be, and which is better for an amp
Well, the slow blow is basically as the name says, it takes longer due to the coating on the filament. With an amp, I'm pretty sure the industry standard is fast acting.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
Jackson DKMG

Amps:
Peavey 5150 212
Pedals:
BBE Grean Screamer
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Korg Pitch Black
Yeah that's your best bet. Most fuses of that rating are all the same size for the most part. Should be an exact fit. And they are fairly inexpensive.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
Jackson DKMG

Amps:
Peavey 5150 212
Pedals:
BBE Grean Screamer
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Korg Pitch Black
thanks alot man !!!!! ive herad this amp play and its beautiful after i get the fuse , im thinking of getting it a cap job and and a tube change..
Not so fast there. The industry standard for guitar amps is not always fast blow fuses. I know the 1963 Fender Deluxe that I had used a slow blo fuse. Most tube amps probably use slo-blo fuses as they are less likely to blow almost instantly if you have momentary larger current draw. I'd get a 1 Amp slo-blo fuse.
Another piece of advice:
Buy extra fuses. I worked in the electronics field for 6 years and I recommend this for 2 reasons:
1) It could blow again for no good reason
2) There could be something further down the circuitry feeding the overcurrent back to the fuse. If I had a dollar for every time I had to deal with that. You'll need more fuses to figure out what's causing it if that does happen to you. But for your sake I hope it's just a bad fuse. Also, like I tell all of my fellow tube players...go here for your tubes:
www.eurotubes.com
Click on Shop Online it has everything you need. And feel free to email them for advice and help, they're great guys.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
Jackson DKMG

Amps:
Peavey 5150 212
Pedals:
BBE Grean Screamer
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Korg Pitch Black
Quote by guitar_slinger8
well this amp is a 1968-1979 princeton clone so should i go for the slo-blo then

Yeah, most modern tube amps also use a slo-blo fuse in the power section. If you use a fast acting fuse it may blow as you start to crank the amp. Every power fuse I have ever seen is a slo-blo in a tube amp.
hey okay then ill go for the slow blow 1 ampere 250 volt fuse then.....do u guys know how much a cap job by a tech would cost me?
Last edited by guitar_slinger8 at Mar 7, 2009,