Okay, this is my first post/first thread. I have bought and learned the entire BTBAM Colors Tablature book (and converted into Powertab) a little more than a year. I can play just about anything that I try to learn. I'm trying to find something to progress my playing with, but I really have no idea where to go. If anyone could point me in some type of direction to better my playing, I would be extremely grateful. I'm also sorry if I have posted this in the wrong forum.
I want to learn everything. I've learned a lot of different styles from classical to jazz to pop and so on and so forth. I've gotten into theory a little, but I don't know where to go to progress further into it. I'm basically just looking for some new techniques to learn. I've got tapping, sweeping, hybrid picking, finger picking, flamenco, sweep-tapping, and just about any other technique down. I haven't ever learned how to tap bass melodies with my right hand while playing higher melodies with my left hand yet. I've been wanting to learn that technique but don't know where to find anything to teach it to myself.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by z4twenny
if i wanna fart into a mic, run it thru delay and an auto tuner set to the key of E and set it to a drum beat i can and its music.
Quote by DrPeppler
I've gotten into theory a little, but I don't know where to go to progress further into it.

This should be your first port of call IMHO. There's no point learning all that music if you're just playing it and you don't understand it. Go to the columns sction of UG and check out Josh Urban's "The Crusade" series; it's got a huge amount of stuff to learn. The key is to take it slowly and make sure you understand all of the section you're looking at before you move on. Most, if not all, theory is built on a solid foundation of basics.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
This should be your first port of call IMHO. There's no point learning all that music if you're just playing it and you don't understand it. Go to the columns sction of UG and check out Josh Urban's "The Crusade" series; it's got a huge amount of stuff to learn. The key is to take it slowly and make sure you understand all of the section you're looking at before you move on. Most, if not all, theory is built on a solid foundation of basics.

Thank you! That is exactly the kind of advice I was wanting to get.

Quote by z4twenny
if i wanna fart into a mic, run it thru delay and an auto tuner set to the key of E and set it to a drum beat i can and its music.
Quote by DrPeppler
Thank you! That is exactly the kind of advice I was wanting to get.

Oh and one other thing: play with other people as much as possible! There's nothing that will improve your playing quite like trading blues solos with a friend. You'll find that you pull some really unexpected stuff out of your ass if you build up a slightly competitive vibe with whoever you're playing with.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I play with a few of my more experienced friends every now and then. We don't really do any type of blues improv or anything like that. We mainly just write our own stuff and covers of other bands that we like. I'm having trouble finding that thread you were talking about. Can you give me the link please?

Quote by z4twenny
Quote by DrPeppler
I play with a few of my more experienced friends every now and then. We don't really do any type of blues improv or anything like that. We mainly just write our own stuff and covers of other bands that we like. I'm having trouble finding that thread you were talking about. Can you give me the link please?

Columns, dude, columns

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=the+crusade&w=columns

There you go.

Either way, it doesn't have to be blues but the point is you should trade solos over something; really jam it out, that way you build up that slightly competitive vibe between the two of you which really pushes your playing both technically and musically.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Either way, it doesn't have to be blues but the point is you should trade solos over something; really jam it out, that way you build up that slightly competitive vibe between the two of you which really pushes your playing both technically and musically.

Word.

I'd also recommend looking at Jazz, too. Learning how to play all those annoyingly complex chords and improvise over them has helped me out a ton.
Quote by Retro Rocker
Word.

I'd also recommend looking at Jazz, too. Learning how to play all those annoyingly complex chords and improvise over them has helped me out a ton.

...I still need to learn to do that

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
...I still need to learn to do that

I need to learn how to do it fluently

To TC:
Acquire yourself the mp3 and backing track to 'Endless Rain' by Joe Satriani.
It modulates though every key and has a LOT of tasty chords.
Once you have the chords done, try improvising over it.
It's only 24/25 bars long IIRC, so each key has precious little time to shine; once you can actually think about whats going on underneath and then play something coherent over the top, you know you've made some excellent progress

It's bloody hard though
Quote by Retro Rocker
I need to learn how to do it fluently

Well that's what I meant by "do it" really; I can do it on a veeeery basic level but it needs some serious polishing to say the least.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.