Now I know there are a lot of people on UG that are packed full of Ibanez knowledge,but does anyone know anything about the J Custom timeless timber series?

These were apparently a limited run in Japan in 2001.Ibanez contacted a company called Timeless Timber that salvages old growth logs that are submerged at the bottom of the great lakes and other bodies of water in the US.Back during the logging boom they'd occasionally lose logs due to ship wrecks or accidents when floating them in big piles on the water.So these logs have been sitting on the bottom of some lake for 100 years or longer,and Ibanez decides they want to make guitars out of them,so they contracted the company and had them salvage enough wood for a limited run J Custom line.Now,that aside,what make this guitar really odd is the fact that it's an H-S-S neck thru RG with a Pau Ferro fingerboard,which I have never seen before.Anyway,I just figured I'd share some random and obscure bit of Ibanez trivia and get some thoughts on the model.What do you guys think of the salvaging idea and the guitar itself?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

The salvaging sounds pretty cool, and that guitar is sexy! I cant find any info on it though, not even on Jemsite. Probably because they're Japan only, and there was only 200 made.

EDIT: Its HSH: single sized hum in the neck, although someone could have modded it.
Last edited by littlephil at Mar 7, 2009,
Quote by littlephil
The salvaging sounds pretty cool, and that guitar is sexy! I cant find any info on it though, not even on Jemsite. Probably because they're Japan only, and there was only 200 made.

Yeah,it's a very rare model.I guess they went for around 3000 USD back in the day,and supposedly play and sound godly.I'm considering getting one,I found the one pictured for about 1900 USD,which is actually cheaper than a standard J Custom now.

EDIT: Forget the whole buying it thing,I just found it and it's already sold

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Mar 7, 2009,
Quote by Pr0gNut
Yeah,it's a very rare model.I guess they went for around 3000 USD back in the day,and supposedly play and sound godly.I'm considering getting one,I found the one pictured for about 1900 USD,which is actually cheaper than a standard J Custom now.

BUY IT!!!!!!!!
Quote by Pac_man0123
The salvaging thing seems pretty sweet... i dunno if it has much of an effect on tone. But, damn... that guitar....

Well, theoretically speaking,it would sound better due to the woods age and the fact that it's old growth as compared to the farm raised timber used in conventional building that is harvested early and specifically for guitars.From what I've read the old growth trees were hundreds of years old when the were logged,and thus had much more time to build up a large core of "heartwood",which is the sap heavy and very dense core wood of a tree.This wood would have better tonal properties, in theory, than farm raised wood,and added onto the fact that it was submerged and preserved for 100+ years in cold lake water,it most likely would build a phenomenal sounding instrument.

Too bad the thing sold like a day after it was listed

Words can't express how truly pissed off I am that this one got away

I want one!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO