G'day I have a bass guitar that seems to buzz uncontrollably, especially when i touch the strings or bridge. It's a school one so I thought I'd give it a go at fixing it.

Upon examination, I found that some of the wires were loose, so I lugged them up and presto! should work.

Or not. The buzzing is still there. Is it worth it just taking it to the music shop and seeing what they think (especially since its a $150AUD guitar) or just buying a brand new one. The brand of the guitar is SX so it's a generic P-bass copy. If it's terminal, I'll use it to make a project bass (WOO) so any option is cool with me.

Cheers
honestly? Check out the wiring diagrams as seymour duncan and wire it up like that. Should solve most buzzing issues. I've never had an issue with any "humbucking" pickup giving me buzzing problems, 'specially in a P-bass. Probably just not sending the ground to actual ground.

I might also suggest digging a screw into the body in the cavity and ground to that as well, just to make sure your ground goes to ground (does that make sense?)
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Haha no my music teacher bought it at Dicksons Music in Sydney I think

But cheers for the help anyways
your wires are reversed on the output jack. (That's the most common case when this happens...) Switch the shield to ring and hot to tip.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Sounds like a grounding problem, not sure, but thats my guess.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA