I've got 2 squiers now, learned on one and bought another a couple of years ago. I've always played them straight out of the box and have been fine but loads of people are saying that squier need a new set up before they have any real potential. I just want to know what this means? Is it the action? Like I said I've always played mine out of the box and been fine. The biggest difference has been putting on better strings and when I upgraded my amp.

What should I be doing to them after buying?

I have a standard tele (think its an early 90's one, i got it second hand)
and a tele custom which now has a P94 at the bridge
A set-up usually inolves setting action, intonation and making truss rod adjustments where applicable. People like to get them because factory setups aren't usually great, especially on lower-end guitars like yours. So I say, get 'em both done!
Or learn to do them yourself. It's not that difficult and it'll save money in the long run.
If you're happy with the way they play, no need to mess with it! Otherwise it's pretty easy to learn, you'll only need a screwdriver or two and a few hex keys to set up any guitar to your liking. Try projectguitar.com, they've got some great tutorials.
It is really easy you can do it yourself
the neck on my squier started to bow after a few months so adjust the truss rod
Quality control standards are a bit lax at Squier. That doesn't mean that every guitar, or even most guitars, that leave the factory need work.

The instability of wood due to humidity means sometimes even high-end guitars need adjustment. The guitars set at a factory on one side of the world might tweak out of adjustment by the time it makes it to its final home; that's not necessarily an indication that the guitar is junk.

Guitars go through some pretty severe temp/humidity changes during shipping. GC might have high end acoustics in a humidity controlled room, but Fedex likely wasn't so gentle. Further, guitars might hang on the wall at the store for a year or more before they are sold. I always liked Squier. They aren't the same as a MIA Fender, but Fender never claimed they were. What those guitars are, is a low cost replica that has similar qualities, no more, no less. Having owned dozens of them, its not that unusual to buy one that needs no tweaking at all. THERE IS NO POINT IN ADJUSTING ACTION, INTONATION, OR TRUSS RODS IF NOTHING IS WRONG WITH THE INSTRUMENT! If your guitar feels good in your hands, enjoy it, smile a bit about not having to do any work or paying someone else, and rock on
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

I find having the guitars setup by a good guitar shop is well worth the money as it makes them more enjoyable to play. After that all you need to do is minor adjustments now and them. My Squire is OK setup but needs to be done properly at some point. My Fender and PRS SE are well set up and great to play.