Page 1 of 2
Tones i want : Incubus, Lostprophets, Pearl Jam, RATM other not-so-high gain things.

Basically, i already have a high gain distortion (Grunge) for things like Opeth, Thrice, heavier stuff.
So i want a nice distortion/od to cover the lower end of the gain spectrum.

I was thinking something relatively low priced but still decent like the Boss OD's and stuff.

More specifically, the DS1, SD1, Bad monkey.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Would the pedals i mentioned be able to do medium gain like things off Light Grenades or Morning View?

My amp is irrelevant as im getting a gig pedalboard setup and id probably use the venue amps.
I already have a DigiGrunge, a Phase 90, a Fish n Chips.

Help please!
Last edited by unet at Mar 7, 2009,
Whts so good about the RAT anyway?
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
an ibanez tube screamer would work well imo.....

as long as the venues amps are tubes OD pedals will work... if they are SS, not so much...
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if you're in the 8% that still listens to real music.
I say put in more money for an Ibanez Tubescreamer.

It is the best overdrive I have ever heard.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
BOSS has very nice overdrive/distortion pedal. If your worried about availibility, you can find that pedal at GC.
I have access to any Boss/Digitech pedals.
Also, AMT, MXR etc.

Can the tubescreamer or Bad monkey do Incubus and light Lostprophets?
I mean songs like Light Grenades (Incubus) or maybe Can't Catch tomorrow by Lostprophets.

And are the DS/SD any good?
Quote by demitriv
Whts so good about the RAT anyway?
The tone. I put an MP3 clip of my ProCo Rat in my profile.
Last edited by fly135 at Mar 7, 2009,
I'm not getting what you think an OD is going to do. Plus you don't even know what amp. If you use an OD without a tube amp all it will do is add pre gain and you can make the volume boost a little. That's it... I mean not worth the money at all. On a tube amp of course it's much different but different amps take different od's better. You need to get your own amp and setup so you can have a good tone and know what you want. Running it all from pedals sounds like crap.
Quote by hcsn2008
If you use an OD without a tube amp all it will do is add pre gain and you can make the volume boost a little.
Every OD I've used supplies it's own dirt, and only adds gain if you up the level control.
Quote by fly135
Every OD I've used supplies it's own dirt, and only adds gain if you up the level control.

That is what I just said isn't it? All it will do is add gain. What else do you think it will do using it without a tube amp? The only reason to ever use one is if you have a solid state amp without enough gain. There are no preamp tubes to drive. I imagine this guys rig sounds very badly.
OK, after re-reading I see you are calling distortion "pre-gain". As opposed to pre-gain as in driving the front end of the amp harder. The gist of your statement is that the dirt you get from the pedal is going to sound bad if it's not coming from a tube amp.

I run my Peavey Classic 30 on clean and get all my dirt from the pedals. You could do the same thing with a JC-120. Just because it's SS, it doesn't make an OD pedal pointless.
I wouldn't get the DS-1 unless you're planning to get it modded. Stock, it sounds too fizzy/muddy, even with the gain down. I got it modded by Monteallums and it's bliss. I can get OD low gain to high gain distortion by rolling back on my volume, and it still sounds clean. Anyways, the DS-1 sounds similar to the Grunge you have, albeit fuzzier.

Even if you wanted to get the SD-1, I'd suggest getting it modded. Monteallums' GT mod has some serious options. For an extra $50(23.99 if you mod it yourself) you can have it sound really good.

The Bad Monkey is a good bet if you're on an ultra low budget.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Last edited by leondb at Mar 7, 2009,
Quote by fly135
OK, after re-reading I see you are calling distortion "pre-gain". As opposed to pre-gain as in driving the front end of the amp harder. The gist of your statement is that the dirt you get from the pedal is going to sound bad if it's not coming from a tube amp.

I run my Peavey Classic 30 on clean and get all my dirt from the pedals. You could do the same thing with a JC-120. Just because it's SS, it doesn't make an OD pedal pointless.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I think he's expecting it to do something it doesn't. What im saying is on a solid state amp all an od pedal will possibly do is add more pre gain to his set up which he probably does not need anyway.... On a tube amp it does the same thing but it's pushing the preamp tubes harder and a lot of people think it makes it sound tighter and it adds pre gain to it. Which is why when boosted a lot of people turn their gain lower than normal. The point is... Why use one with a SS if you have a distortion pedal that is giving you the gain you need? An od really pushes it further. It works with the gain of an amp and they work together. Go look up OD pedals and how they work on google.

So yes it will work but what I'm saying is it's not even worth the money. It's not going to do what he thinks.
I would definitely avoid BOSS pedals for OD unless you get a modded one. For awesome OD for a relatively low price, I'd suggest the Bad Monkey, or if you want to spend around $90, go for the Tubescreamer. I love mine.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Quote by mcrfobtai
I have a Pro Junior.
Almost the same thing. Sort of.

But I do love BJ's. Great amps.
Everyone likes BJ's.

EVERYONE!!!!
In other words basically.... He wants tones like incubus and opeth... Do you think adding an OD pedal will do this? no... With his set up it's barely going to even change anything. It won't sound much different without one. With one all he's going to notice is a little more pre gain.
Quote by hcsn2008
That's not what I'm saying at all. I think he's expecting it to do something it doesn't. What im saying is on a solid state amp all an od pedal will possibly do is add more pre gain to his set up which he probably does not need anyway.... On a tube amp it does the same thing but it's pushing the preamp tubes harder and a lot of people think it makes it sound tighter and it adds pre gain to it. Which is why when boosted a lot of people turn their gain lower than normal. The point is... Why use one with a SS if you have a distortion pedal that is giving you the gain you need? An od really pushes it further. It works with the gain of an amp and they work together. Go look up OD pedals and how they work on google.

So yes it will work but what I'm saying is it's not even worth the money. It's not going to do what he thinks.
I hate to tell you, but you are off in the ozone. An OD is just another distortion pedal. He already has a Grunge. He want's an OD to give him some different tones. Just because he can get lots of distortion from his Grunge, it doesn't mean he has to be limited to that particular sound.

It has nothing to do with the amp. And overdriving a tube amp is not all that OD can do. They provide their own distortion tones apart from any you get from whatever amp you have.

Aren't you the one with the Vypyr 60? I also hate to be the bearer of bad news. But most of the tones you get from your amp come from digital distortion.
Quote by unet
Basically, i already have a high gain distortion (Grunge) for things like Opeth, Thrice, heavier stuff.
So i want a nice distortion/od to cover the lower end of the gain spectrum.

I was thinking something relatively low priced but still decent like the Boss OD's and stuff.

More specifically, the DS1, SD1, Bad monkey.

He wants an overdrive I think...
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Quote by fly135
I hate to tell you, but you are off in the ozone. An OD is just another distortion pedal. He already has a Grunge. He want's an OD to give him some different tones. Just because he can get lots of distortion from his Grunge, it doesn't mean he has to be limited to that particular sound.

It has nothing to do with the amp. And overdriving a tube amp is not all that OD can do. They provide their own distortion tones apart from any you get from whatever amp you have.

Aren't you the one with the Vypyr 60? I also hate to be the bearer of bad news. But most of the tones you get from your amp come from digital distortion.

I think you just said exactly what I said.

And my vypyr 60 is my practice amp. I do not use an OD pedal with that amp and wouldn't it would be pointless. And the preamp does have digital processors in it. The power amp is an all tube power amp so the volume and power amp tone I'm getting is all tube. There is no digital in their power amp unless you have the solid state version.

I have used an Od pedal with my rectifier and 6505 for years but now I don't. But atleast there was a point in using it.

And you just said what I said... it works with the other distortion you are using. It is pointless to run an OD pedal after a distortion pedal. All it's going to do is add more gain. Just TURN UP THE GAIN on the distortion pedal it will barely alter the tone. Hell on my 6505 and rectifier it barely changed the tone. I think people think it's going to give them a totally different sound.

Now on the green channel of my 6505 I used to use it to boost it into a lead channel which makes sense. That would be a reason to have one.
You don't need to use an OD with your amp because it already models all that stuff.

Like the guy before said.... "He just wants an overdrive pedal" Bada bing bada boom!

Nobody said anything about running an OD after a distortion pedal. You just made that up because in your head there is a separate argument and rationale going on. Maybe he's going to run it into a cabinet sim/direct box and feed it to a PA. Who knows and who cares.

His question had nothing to do with the virtues of overdriving a tube amp.
Give peace a chance yo...
Okay maybe i wasn't making things clear...

I have a Vox AD30VT. I use it to practice at home and iot has all the effects i would need.
Unfortunatyely, for things like band competitions, the venues make you use the amps already set up, not your own. Now these amps could be a Laney GH100L or a Marshall MG100 or anything else.
My point is, i want a pedalboard that can cover all my bases reasonably well. My Digitech Grunge is for high gain applications. That's it. It does not do low gain and i can't be arsed to change gain settings on stage and whatnot.

I want a pedal to give me less gain ie. gain for things like alternative or hard rock at best. Like Incubus or Lostprophets (since we cover these bands a lot).
I will be running this pedal by itself....no Digitech grunge.

Would a standalone overdrive have enough gain to do this?
(because i like how overdrives sound...kinda bouncy and ringy when played right.)
or would i need a distortion pedal like a DS-1 (i can mod it....hopefully not a problem).

leondb
Would the SD-1 have enough gain (on its own) ?
Does it sound decent enough unmodded?
The SD-1 sounds great. It sounds better then a Bad Monkey to me. To tell you the truth, I don't listen to Incubus. I used to have one that I played some of our covers with. Cold Hard Bitch by Jet, Train Kept a rollin' by Aerosmith, a couple of The Cult's songs we do, and before I got a fuzz pedal, Rock n roll by Zeppelin, and Dig In by Kravitz. I eventually found a Ibanez TS9DX for super cheap and gave the SD-1 to my buddy. I wish I kept it and got the GT mod done though.
IDK, maybe, but I think a better bet would be a Boss OS-2. It has a knob that changes the sound between overdrive and distortion, and you can sort of blend. You should test out a few of these pedals at shops.
I guess i could.

I'll try the OS-2 out.
Thanks!

Edit: Just youtubed it and it sounds great!
Last edited by unet at Mar 8, 2009,
The GT-OD sounds nice but im really liking the tone of the Distortion III.
Plus, it would sound better on an SS amp than a GT would.

Hey im okay with distortion pedals too, just as long as they can do softer settings.

Which is why i mentioned the Distortion III. I love MXR.
Last edited by unet at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
i'd say a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive would be good for you.

This is, hands down, the best suggestion in this thread so far.

When you start needing a mid-gain overdrive pedal, the sound you're probably thinking of is that of an 808 Tube Screamer. It has more definition and versatility at lower gain settings than the TS-9 Tube Screamers. That said, pretty much any Ibanez/Maxon 808 or suitable clone should get the job done swimmingly.

The great thing about the Sparkle Drive is that it's an 808 clone that's built better than an Ibanez 808 and costs less. In addition, you get true bypass, and a blendable clean boost. This gives the pedal a remarkable amount of versatility over most other overdrives, allowing you to achieve some very nice "in between" tones that are impossible with other pedals.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I'd agree if i was using a nice tube amp. The demos sound fantastic.

But unfortunately, dirt pedals don't sound too great through my ADVT30.
I mentioned that i'd need this pedal for live purposes and amps in venues can range from MG200000's to GH50L's so i want to make sure it would work well anywhere.

I figure a slightly lower gain distortion should do the trick.
That's why i was considering the MXR Distortion III [seeing as its relatively well priced and would sound good on most amps.]
^that's probably hard to do, since they're pretty sturdy with their die cast metal enclosures and all

I'd say timmy/TO though, that sounds like what you want

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
If I find time today, I can get you a clip of my SD-1

That Sparkle Drive looks REAL nice though, man, I might have to look into one myself.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Okay...im going try and get a clip up soon of the tone i'd vaguely like to achieve.

Mind you it's a bit more fizzy and gained up than i'd like.
Page 1 of 2