So, I went to guitar center and told the guy my story:

Looking for a guitar around 1k, but am flexible either way if it means a better guitar. Ultimately he just ended up showing me guitars for 1k, so i don't know how much i trust his judgement (and wether they show on commission etc.). I am looking for something, maybe on the bigger side as I am tall and have big hands..and preferably an acoustic electric to play (but I can just buy electrics after). I like to play anything from classic rock to classical. I don't really know what im doing when im buying a guitar, so I need as much help as possible.

He did show me the the Taylor 214 CE, which I really liked...
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Taylor-200-series-214CE-Grand-Auditorium-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar?sku=514497

Anyone else an owner?

Also, would you recommend any other guitars? Again, i'm flexible on price if it means value.

Thanks!
Last edited by chknpotpie at Mar 7, 2009,
look into breedloves, alvarez, and takamines
they all make great guitars for their price
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
I don't have one, but I tried a couple of taylor's out at my local guitar centre, and I have to say, that to my likings they're awesome guitars:p especially that model, not that it was something I was considering buying as it's way too expensive for me, but I tried it and it was really nice
try them all out in that price range
find what feels best to you (body, neck, tone)
Gear's : Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube | MicroCube | Noisy Cricket | Ibanez S470DXQM Blue Burst | Takamine EG440C
Pedals : MXR M-108 EQ | Digitech Bad Monkey, Sanpera I, GFS Tuner

Seref : Cali would put a health warning on celery if they could
bump,

also, any guitars that i absolutely shouldnt even look at for being overpriced or what not? i don't really trust my ears too much, so i dont want the dude to talk me into buy some piece of ****
Quote by chknpotpie
bump,

also, any guitars that i absolutely shouldnt even look at for being overpriced or what not? i don't really trust my ears too much, so i dont want the dude to talk me into buy some piece of ****

*flame shield up

If it doesn't say Martin on it, it is overpriced. Guaranteed.

Nah, just an opinion. You mentioned you are taller, you might want to check out a jumbo from Gibson. Killer bass and tone; they are a bit "chunky" for me, as are most Gibsons. They are great for banging out a country boom chuck rythym, but they just don't appeal to me when I unleash the softer side on fingerpicked ballads. That said, both Gibson and Martin (solid tops) hold value well, and as years tick by they tend to escalate.

Whatever you buy, make sure it is solid top. Solid wood is better (meaning back and sides as well as top), but at that price insist on solid top. Do not be fooled! Some less than ethical dealers (Musician's Friend--bastards) use phrases like "Genuine Spruce"; that is not the same as solid wood.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

^ Taylors, Gibsons, and Martin are all a bit overpriced, imo. But they're all still generally well built, which is why they all have a great reputation(or at least that's part of it).

If you like the 214ce then go for it. I found my friend's Taylor 214ce to sound like a bad joke though. It had so little tonal complexity to it. Sounded like a toy to me, but that's just my opinion. If you like it then all the more power to you! It's still a well built guitar.

Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.