Right then, so I've got a bit of money saved up for an amp, but I haven't got a clue this time what to look for, for this bit of money I'm thinking a valve amp would be nice, although I have been tempted so much in the past by the pod xt lives (and SS amps such as kustoms etc)

The only ones I have on my list at the moment are:

Valveking 112
Bugera 333xl or the 6262 (yes it's a huge stretch on my budget)
Some marshall amps, I've honestly lost track with the models.

So yeah, I'm not really that fussed about the clean settings although I do end up playing a bit of light jazz and whatnot on the occasion, my main preference is metal and I really want a hard hitting distortion.
It's mainly to play the likes of metallica, megadeth, testament etc, and maybe some meshuggah, it's just to give you guys an idea of what I want to get.
It has to be loud enough to be heard over drums, but I'm not too fussed about live use - it's an afterthought. I was thinking around 40w (kind of pushing it with valve amps in my case myess) would be sensible.

Am I being a bit of an idiot for looking at valve amps or should I have my mind set on ss? And which ones, throw some suggestions and I'll look into them.
Last edited by mansoor.h at Mar 7, 2009,
line6 Flextone III methinks

the VK is mediocre tbh but the bugeras are a decent choice

look at randalls too, im sure they do a tube combo for £350
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Cheers, I'll look into the randalls.

Thing about line 6 amps is that I'm really scared after buying a box of **** called the spider III, not sure if I want another modelling amp you know? I already own 3 (I'd call the mg an imitation anyway, the bheringer vamp2 is decent for the price mind)

Anyone have any other suggestions mind?
Quote by mansoor.h

Thing about line 6 amps is that I'm really scared after buying a box of **** called the spider III, not sure if I want another modelling amp you know? I already own 3 (I'd call the mg an imitation anyway, the bheringer vamp2 is decent for the price mind)

i know where youre coming from but line6 is actually capable of decent amps, the spider is the exception to the rule
Quote by mansoor.h

Line 6 is one of the best companies who makes strictly modellers.

The Spiders (excluding the Spider Valve) are their only real ****up in their production line.

I think you should listen to stevo. The Valveking is pretty meh, and the Randalls are quite nice.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Thanks alot guys, I'll give line6 another chance, the veta models I'm presuming?

The randall amp I've found is this one:

RANDALL RX75RG2 75

It's SS but I've heard good things about it, although comparing prices the vetta seems a bit out of my range, I'll see if I can shop around on it.

What about the marshalls? Am I just paying for the name with my budget or am I going to get something decent?
Quote by mansoor.h
Thanks alot guys, I'll give line6 another chance, the veta models I'm presuming?

The randall amp I've found is this one:

RANDALL RX75RG2 75

It's SS but I've heard good things about it, although comparing prices the vetta seems a bit out of my range, I'll see if I can shop around on it.

What about the marshalls? Am I just paying for the name with my budget or am I going to get something decent?

i think the randall RG are tube but their SS are supposed to be thoroughly decent

youre not going to get a decent marshall for less than £700, below that theyre just whacking their name on crap
Thought so, I'll try get my hands on the rg to play around and see if I like the sound. Reckon it'd be worth paying for a pod xt live? I used to be crazy for one, but right now I'm a bit meh, I know they'll sound nice but how much better than an amp for the same price eh?
IF you want a diverse metal sound get a Line 6 flextone, there the best metal amps out there.

Flextones baisicly use Vetta tech but are lower wattage, less versatile, but still offer the same great tone.

definately get one especially with that budget.

I wouldnt touch bugera with a 10 foot poll beacause of all the horror stories.

look into a B-52 if you want tube.

in any case a B-52 or a flextone would be better than a vlaveking if all your into is metal.

anywho id take a flextone over a B-52 or a valveking any day.
I would save for a vetta over a flextone, but the flextones are still really decent.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
I hear Meshuggah use vettas live and pod xt's in the studio. I'll look into them, the flextone seems nice for my budget but I wonder if I will get more out of a podxt live for the price.
I don't know why but whenever I see an rg model as I remember looking at them in the past, I just think "meh..." I'm gonna try them out anyway though.
I kind of feel guilty looking for a metal amp now..I don't know why, I know I'll be playing metal almost always, but I'll have that niggling doubt that it sucks ass for other things it's hurting me
Meshuggah use Triple Rectifiers, Line 6 Vetta's and POD XT's to achieve their tone.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by mansoor.h
I kind of feel guilty looking for a metal amp now..I don't know why, I know I'll be playing metal almost always, but I'll have that niggling doubt that it sucks ass for other things it's hurting me

well all around the flextone is probly the best amp, other than a Carvin V3.

blues, rock, punk, metal, alternative, you name it the flextone can do easily and sound good doing it to.

but it definately excels in metal tough.
I'm gonna go out today and try them out. If I was in the situation of choosing a pod xt live vs a flextone, which one do you reckon I should get?
Perhaps, I've seen them for about 200 quid on ebay so there's something to look at. I've also seen pods sold for alot cheaper on ebay so I could get a pod xt live and a pre-amp, worth the dosh?
I'm itching for a chance to try these amps and stuff out. What about the blackstar ht-5, reckon the 5w of tube power will be enough to over power drums? Also any good?