I recently refinished a MIM Fender strat. Everything is great, but when I plugged it in, it was barely audible. It could only be heard if the volume on my Crate V18 was half-way (blow your ears off if sitting right next to it with my other guitar) and it was just really quiet. Also, it worked better with the pedal, but it wasn't as loud as it should be. I plugged in my Ibanez RG370DX with the same settings, and it was quite loud both with a pedal on and without it on.

What could be the problem? I solder a few wires, and I'm pretty sure they're right. All of the pickups work.

Thanks
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Quote by professorlamp
'and I'm pretty sure they're right. '
This is the problem
You should be positive of what you're doing.

Well, I taped them with labels and also took pictures of it before I disassembled it. So unless someone hacked my computer and photoshopped the pictures, the wires are right.

Quote by Psalm 150:4
Well, I taped them with labels and also took pictures of it before I disassembled it. So unless someone hacked my computer and photoshopped the pictures, the wires are right.

well you never know these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinsk8r91
practice young padawan and your fingers strong they will one day be, HMMMmmm.

this
Does anyone have a serious answer? I don't want to have to get a setup, but I will if I can't figure it out with you all's help..

COuld be defective pots, pickups or cold solder joints. Hard to say. Do you know anyone that has a DMM and knows how to use it?
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
COuld be defective pots, pickups or cold solder joints. Hard to say. Do you know anyone that has a DMM and knows how to use it?

My dad does. We've already tested the wires, and the volume and tone knobs are correct in the voltage.

Measure the resistance of the Pickup coils. For single coils I think they're around 7KOhms or so!

Also, just a stupid thought but how far from the strings are the pickups? Fret the last fret on the neck and measure between bottom of string and top of PUs. (I don't think anyone's asked this yet!)
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Measure the resistance of the Pickup coils. For single coils I think they're around 7KOhms or so!

Also, just a stupid thought but how far from the strings are the pickups? Fret the last fret on the neck and measure between bottom of string and top of PUs. (I don't think anyone's asked this yet!)

Ok thanks! The pickups we raised to the factory settings, and it made not difference. (The bass and treble sides are different heights) but I'll try measuring the resistance of the pickup coils. Thanks!

Upon more thought, it occurred to me that if all three PUs are weak, it most likely something other than the PUs themselves.
I really have to take your word that the wiring is good but anyway you can post some pics of the wiring?
Moving on.....