Sorry for my ignorance on this....can someone educate me a little on effects equipment (such as, I believe, the Roland VG-99?) that supply alternate tunings? I'm stupid on this. Are the alternate tunings actually heard through headphones/amps or are they just for recording? You play a note and it is heard from the guitar as one note but another thorugh the amp/phones? Also, what choices in multi-effects equipment are there that supply amp modelling, effects and alternate tunings. I'm looking for a desktop or mobile unit..maybe rack mount not a floor box/pedal. I'm not able to find very much on them...but then again...I are purty stupid on this. Any thoughts/comments appreciated.....
Last edited by hdsteele at Mar 7, 2009,
1. Sure.

2. Depends on what you use. For instance the Digitech Whammy and Boss Super Shifter are heard through the amp.

3. Yes.

4. Line 6 POD, Line 6 TonePort, DigiTech RP series...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
can those things actually pitch shift then? surely it would end up sounding a bit weird?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
1) Thanks.

2) Line 6 Pod gives you alternate tunings? How did I miss that...?

3) Not hearing good things about the newer Pods X3 I believe... XT seems to get better reviews. Any comments on the alternate tunings supplied by Line 6? Does the "quality" of the alt tun effect vary from unit to unit or manufacturer?

4) Thanks again.
downtuning on digitech whammy effect sounds fine, if you want to play in a lower tuning.

but uptuning sounds wierd. its all crackly and stuff, unsuitable for playing. listen to rage against the machine's renegades of funk. you get more of that the higher you shift.
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (WTS)
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Boss HR-2
Compressor (open to suggestions)
Most units do not offer alternate tunings, but offer pitch shifting which isn't exactly the same. I haven't used my Digitech Whammy in a while, but I remember there being a drop setting that takes your original signal and drops it a whole step. One note lines sound ok, but it still sounds warbly and introduces those stray notes in the background.

Your best bet is to pick up another guitar for alternate tunings or, if you have the money, there's the Fender VG Strat that has various alt. tunings with the turn of a knob.
Quote by xwearesinking
Get a tuner and stop being lazy.

Oh man....just cruel.... I finally have money and you want me to expend energy? I would love a VG but howdy neighbors, can you say "left handed"? I knew you could. There is the Variax as well but the only model is the 500 that is a lefty and I'm not sure it even has alt tunings. I know the difference between dropping the tuning and an actual ALTERNATE tuning. I don't want everything lower/higher, I want it DIFFERENT. I guess I am hearing what I thought I would hear. Sounds nice on paper but the reality of electonically created alt tunes is another thing.
Quote by JungIe
downtuning on digitech whammy effect sounds fine, if you want to play in a lower tuning.

but uptuning sounds wierd. its all crackly and stuff, unsuitable for playing. listen to rage against the machine's renegades of funk. you get more of that the higher you shift.

the whammy pedal isn't designed for more than one note at a time though.
Quote by hdsteele
Oh man....just cruel.... I finally have money and you want me to expend energy? I would love a VG but howdy neighbors, can you say "left handed"? I knew you could. There is the Variax as well but the only model is the 500 that is a lefty and I'm not sure it even has alt tunings. I know the difference between dropping the tuning and an actual ALTERNATE tuning. I don't want everything lower/higher, I want it DIFFERENT. I guess I am hearing what I thought I would hear. Sounds nice on paper but the reality of electonically created alt tunes is another thing.

What?

Why wouldn't you be able to use alternate tunings? My SG does everything from E Standard to DbAbDbGbAbDb.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by xwearesinking
What?

Why wouldn't you be able to use alternate tunings? My SG does everything from E Standard to DbAbDbGbAbDb.

Electronically? You mean manually, right?
Yes. I don't really understand why you'd want to do it electronically, no matter what you use it'll sound worse.

edit: Maybe not worse, but certainly not "real".

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Honestly are you trying to say you want one of these effects that allows you to change the tuning without actually changing the tuning of your strings on your guitar? This will not sound like you probably think. It won't sound good at all.

Simply downtune your guitar if you want alternate tunings. Don't try to get an effect to do it for you. Of course you might not even be saying this I'm confused by your post. What tuning do you want to tune to? It's pretty simple...

I tune to drop c... so on a tuner it's just CGCFAD.
No, you got me right..thats what I was asking about. Electronically created alternate tunings. I can't imagine that it would sound right so I thought I'd ask the experts. I'm hearing what I thought I would hear! Thanks for the comments...
Well, if you REALLY wanted to do it electronically, you could get this:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Eventide-H8000FW-8Channel-UltraHarmonizer-Effects-Processor?sku=183118

That would be probably your best option.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Now I'm really frustrated....they only have one of those in stock and I need two of them. I always try to have a back up... I did see the Roland VG-99...it provides alternate tunings. Again, I just can't imagine that they sound "right".
I was joking....the price for one is over $5000. Slightly high for my amateur needs!