Page 1 of 3
So when bands like The Beatles were making headlines everyday back in the 60's, were they loved by people back then as much as their legacy has been? I mean, whenever bands are constantly in the "mainstream headlines" nowadays, there's always a flurry of hatred from certain people who find that annoying, so were there similar attitudes back then towards bands like the Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc, that were extremely popular during the 60's, 70's, etc? This probably will help if you asked your parents or whoever from that generation.
Probably because back then, no-one had the internet to bitch about bands.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Since everybody hates the popular mainstream bands....

I like some mainstream bands.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
The beatles and rolling stones and other big names actually did new things and even though it was popular music it wasnt 'pop'. For example: Elvis was popular but it was still rock and roll. Britney Spears is popular but its 'pop music' as a genre.
These popular mainstream bands are popular because people like them. Most of the people on here are different demographic, that is opposed to pop and stuff. You're getting an extremely biased view on here. But on the other side,

1. There were plenty of people who hated the Beatles.

2. No, there wasn't really a place like the internet to voice hate like that.

3. The Beatles were better.

Case closed. Send the check to my PO Box in front of the castle.
Quote by the strikes
Banned for giving me a laugh!

Quote by nrc141
another fine example of natural selection not quite working fast enough...

Quote by Twist of fate
Oh Jesus haha
I can't wait for the day we can make superbombs from amp

^You player twist of fate!
the reason those bands have left such a mark in history is because they were the mainstream bands that people actually liked.

Nowadays bands can't seem to balance great music with commercial success i.e. bands with great music tend to be unsuccessful and the bands with more commercial success and radio play are generally making crap music.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
My dad didn't like The Beatles. He said they were for teenage girls, and he preferred Rolling Stones instead.
TRANSFORMICE

Quote by Johnny Trash
the reason those bands have left such a mark in history is because they were the mainstream bands that people actually liked.

Nowadays bands can't seem to balance great music with commercial success i.e. bands with great music tend to be unsuccessful and the bands with more commercial success and radio play are generally making crap music.

Then there is Lamb of God, who have a balance. Thier new album is #2 on the Billboard 200 and Jonas Brothers are #3
Last edited by RPGoof at Mar 7, 2009,
My girlfriend's great grandmother HATES the Beatles. I think the attitude was the same, popular music is always going to be hated on.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
Quote by Tomosaurus
Because The Beatles were awesome.

Most bands today, are not.

this.

to TS: hm, so u want to compare mainstream music?
You get the choice of the 60's Beatles hit Day Tripper
or u can listen to todays hit Gettin Low In Da Club...

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
It seems like a lot of mainstream bands today are like FOB, Kayne West, Jonas Brothers, Katy Perry, Lil Wayne, ect. You all know them. Those styles aren't exactly the favorite styles of music people here like to listen to. It's not really hating mainstream music; but, more of disliking what current bands are mainstream. I'm sure if a bunch of metal bands (that people here like) got a lot of mainstream attention, I'm positive people here would not start to hate them because they are mainstream.

Also, The Beatles got a lot of attention. The chances are, when a band gets a lot of attention there will be more people who like and dislike them. The greater the amount of people who hear them will make a greater amount of varying opinions on their music.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Last edited by Ticket48 at Mar 7, 2009,
I'd say it's because 'mainstream' bands back in the day were actually musicians. They actually made their music, rather than ****ty Miley Cyrus or the Jo' Bro's who do **** all except look pretty and get a contract with disney, who then make what they think the target audience (in this case 12 year old girls) want to hear, rather than what they want to play. Old 'pop' music was about the music, these days it isn't even music, it's just profit.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
But people like the Beatles revolutionised music, and to some extent popularized, if not created a new genre of music.

Bands nowaday just recycle old crap and use 3 chord progressions and a whiny relatively ''hot'' vocalist.

That's the difference.

The 60s were the Rock 'n Roll era.
70s more hard rock
80s heavy metal
90s grunge

and the mainstream musicians nowadays haven't actually done anything special.

... just for the record, who missed me?
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
^I noticed you were gone. Were you banned or something?
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by jgbsmith
^I noticed you were gone. Were you banned or something?

Naww. I was in Japan fighting the Legendary Shinobi Ninjas.

We moved house and our ISP were assholes.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
1)
Quote by Tomosaurus
Because The Beatles were awesome.

Most bands today, are not.

2) There were probably Beatles/Rolling Stone haters that were elitist jazz/doo-wop listeners.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Music is no different now then it was 50 years ago. All those bands that people hated back in the day aren't talked about because they sucked.

For every band, there will always be people who hate them.

For the record: I hate the Beatles. I respect what they did, but that does not mean I have to like them.
The Beatles were the big generic pop band of their day. They had plenty of critics.
Quote by Inimical

For the record: I hate the Beatles. I respect what they did, but that does not mean I have to like them.

That.

But then again, I also hate the Stones, Zeppelin, AC/DC and a bunch of other bands that people fellate on a global scale.
Since everybody hates the popular mainstream bands....

No, they don't. It's why it's mainstream; because people love it.
well, like oodles of people have said before, at least "pop" music back then was about the music, and today's mainstream music is all bout the $$$$$s. I think non-elitist musicians would appreciate mainstream bands, if they were about the music instead of the money. I wish there were pop groups that i like these days, but sadly, there isn't.

*sigh*
I don't hate mainstream music. I hate pop music. That's what is mostly mainstream. That disposable garbage. It's all just short little songs for the radio about pointless, vapid shit. Songs that people like because of a catchy hook until it gets old. Then they forget about it when something new comes along. Even the hip hop stuff that is mainstream is mostly pop. I hate it all.

It's cheap, empty and disposable.
like said above.. the bands back then were actually good and worth listening to so there was really no need to hate them, though of course theres always certain ppl who would, but the majority of ppl loved them bc they actually made real, good music
I pressed her thigh and death smiled

Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
-John Lennon
Quote by Fiddelers elbow
I like some mainstream bands.

+1

Sweeping generalisations ftl.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
But people like the Beatles revolutionised music, and to some extent popularized, if not created a new genre of music.

Bands nowaday just recycle old crap and use 3 chord progressions and a whiny relatively ''hot'' vocalist.

That's the difference.

The 60s were the Rock 'n Roll era.
70s more hard rock
80s heavy metal
90s grunge

and the mainstream musicians nowadays haven't actually done anything special.

... just for the record, who missed me?

err that's pretty much the early Beatles.

And who says that they weren't hated? People hate Fall Out Boy because they're not Led Zeppelin. In the 60's, I'm sure alot of teenagers fellating Charlie Parker and other bebop artists thought The Beatles were cheap, disposable pop garbage.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
I like Kings of Leon, I don't like Fall Out Boy. I don't think it's just about whether mainstream or not, it's more about whether the music is good or not.
also i think at the time it wasnt allowed to get blowjobs from old ladies in the subway
If you see a poor child, don't give a fish, give him a guitar.
You cant put the beatles into a comparison.

DUH? haven't you ever seen a beatles video with millions of fans chasing them. They couldn't play concerts because they had too many screaming fans. They were loved probably more then than now, but they are still loved and considered the greatest band of all time.

edit: What are you trying to get at?
Now music honestly isn't very good. After just listening to Pink Floyd's PULSE, nothing compares to that. The only decent band that is still producing is the foo fighters. They are actually rock and roll.
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Mar 7, 2009,
Popular 60-70-80 music (blues, rock and roll, hard rock, metal, etc) was played with heart.

Nowadays popular music (pop, dance, house, rap, techno, etc) is played for money. Sometimes it's not even played: just playback and a backing track with 2-3 chords or notes.

That's the difference.

And no, I don't hate mainstream bands. If a metal or rock band I like becomes mainstream I would be happy for them, and still listen to them if they continue to do their music without becoming commercial.
Last edited by Poglia at Mar 7, 2009,
I don't hate mainstream bands because they're mainstream...I hate them because mainstream bands usually suck. mcrjonasbrosa7x
Quote by Turkeyburger
It's not cool to make fun of people with disabilities.....

(Being Norwegian is a disability)

Quote by BK202

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
You cant put the beatles into a comparison.

DUH? haven't you ever seen a beatles video with millions of fans chasing them. They couldn't play concerts because they had too many screaming fans. They were loved probably more then than now, but they are still loved and considered the greatest band of all time.

That

No one will ever go back and look at the lil wayne CD decades from now and comment on it's brilliance. That is the difference between mainstream **** and true music that people love. Nobody ever looks back on the New Kids and says " damn, those guys were some great artists". No, they only think of New Kid mania and how it was a great marketing idea. Then you have Micheal Jackson who's " Thriller" is considered one of the greatest pop albums of all time and one of the most selling albums period. It just depends on how you look at it.
Page 1 of 3