Okay, I've been using ProTools in school, and I'm really satisfied with the program, so I'm thinking of purchasing it myself. Thing is, I've heard you need a good computer in order to make a decent recording. Is my computer good enough? It's an iMac and here are its specs... :

Processor: 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X1600 128 mb video memory
Hard Drive: 250 gb (about 3 gb free though xD )

So is this enough? And if it isn't, what kind of computer should I buy? (I won't buy anything that's not a mac, I won't even discuss it, 'cause I hate Vista with a passion.)
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
I'd consider upgrading the ram to at least 2Gb, though i'm not sure of the specifics of doing that on an iMac.

hard-drive space: you'll need way more than 3Gb free for recording, clear out all the crap

aside from that, it should be fine
its pricey..especially the WHOLE rig..
but for the software..download and for interface..erm about £200
but if ur recording like that..audacity/cubase is fine lol.

it will run, but you need WAY more ram, and a bigger sata hard drive will help
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Quote by TheDriller
#

Ehhh... what?

ProTools setups start at like $3k (I'm not counting the crappy LE version which is basically a scam, and has none of the features that make ProTools a good DAW)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Joey Radical
Okay, I've been using ProTools in school, and I'm really satisfied with the program, so I'm thinking of purchasing it myself. Thing is, I've heard you need a good computer in order to make a decent recording. Is my computer good enough? It's an iMac and here are its specs... :

Processor: 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X1600 128 mb video memory
Hard Drive: 250 gb (about 3 gb free though xD )

So is this enough? And if it isn't, what kind of computer should I buy? (I won't buy anything that's not a mac, I won't even discuss it, 'cause I hate Vista with a passion.)

+1 on clearing the crap off your HD.

We did our album using Cubase SX2 on a PC running Windows XP (I'm not thrilled with Vista either... I'm sticking with XP until the results of windows7 are in....) For each song, we had upwards to 36 tracks of 24-bit audio with all fx and eq as appropriate.

Celeron (yes, Celeron!) 1.7Ghz
512 MB RAM
7200 rpm IDE HD. (2x40 GB)

The trick is making sure your machine is not too cluttered, and devoted as much as possible to audio without other stuff interfering.

Surely your proposed setup will be fine with even a little bit of care. (also, check the system requirements from the DigiDesign site. ProTools can be pretty picky about processor types, chip-set types, etc.)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
To answer you question properly.

I have that very imac. Up your ram to 2 gb (there are actually guides on the net to do this.) And it will run perfectly, i've run logic (diff program but same principles) on 12 tracks simultaneously at 48khz 24bit for half an hour (don't you love live shows) with no freezes, glitches or anything. And as people have said before... some of my project have taken upwards of a gb JUST for the audio files.

And there is nothing wrong with pro tools LE, HD is if your working a pro studio and you'd need a mac pro for that coz i'm pretty sure it needs pcie cards or something. LE will do everything i'm assuming you want it to do and i know a guy who got a song on the radio (yes a ... well its not commercial but its govt owned and the BIGGEST radio station in australia) using a LE setup so don't let anyone discourage you HD will just be a huge paperweight full of crap you will more than likely not use for another few (maybe less you may be awesome) years and then be obsolete because its old technology.

And thorazine, how do you know he can't afford it, he just said he'd be willing to buy a new mac... if he can afford that its not a huge leap away from HD, and HD is overkill for anyone not working with high end gear.

Also, i hear you about vista!
Last edited by doommaker at Mar 7, 2009,
I agree HD is overkill for no pros, but LE just sucks, better to get a cheaper interface and a copy of Logic Studio.

Last.fm
Up to him in the end... i mean he only needs the HD core if he thinks he is at that level, apogee converters are the best. Actually thats an idea, if you want high end sound on your mac for cheaper, apogee duet is the way to go. Mac only though... as is everything apogee make since they dropped windows dev.

Play it all by what you want to do with it.

Full band? Digi 002 (or 3 if you really want) for pro tools
presonus firepod/studio if your using anything else
Or if you have decent preamps/a mixer motu 828mkii/iii
my mina pont is that you can get a more functional hardware/software setup for the same price as an M-Box or whatever, plus then you get more expandability because you aren't stuck with Digidesign hardware.

Last.fm
But you'll also notice he said he's learning ProTools in school, which makes a huge difference. I'm also taking PT classes at my college, and I run a basic LE system in my room on my macbook. My school has LE in the smaller studio, and HD in the huge state of the art studio. I've worked in both, and the difference isn't huge from what I can tell. LE is perfect for a student practicing what they've learned in order to make home recordings.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I'm not counting the crappy LE version which is basically a scam, and has none of the features that make ProTools a good DAW

Exactly what features are you missing from LE?
Quote by ebon00
Exactly what features are you missing from LE?

High end D/A converters and the lack of DSP cards are the main thing, and those are what makes ProTools what it is in the first place.

Quote by Sid McCall
But you'll also notice he said he's learning ProTools in school, which makes a huge difference. I'm also taking PT classes at my college, and I run a basic LE system in my room on my macbook. My school has LE in the smaller studio, and HD in the huge state of the art studio. I've worked in both, and the difference isn't huge from what I can tell. LE is perfect for a student practicing what they've learned in order to make home recordings.

I guess that makes sense, but it's still terrible value for money. Also the difference gets huge really fast when you start using a lot of plugs and more than 7 or 8 tracks.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 7, 2009,
It's a shame your pro tools only. Logic is far better and much more economical until you get a full HD setup.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
If you have a Mac, Logic is pretty good. But if you're set on Pro Tools, it will run on pretty much anything. But I'd recommend a fast external hard disk for recording audio to.
4gb of ram, also, with the interface and the legit FULL version of pro tools, it will probably be around 1k or 1300. Clear your hrddrive obviously. Also, what mics/controllers/midi stuff do you have?
Quote by convictionless
4gb of ram, also, with the interface and the legit FULL version of pro tools, it will probably be around 1k or 1300. Clear your hrddrive obviously. Also, what mics/controllers/midi stuff do you have?

This guy is seriously not going to spend that much on a HD rig. It doesn't have any more plug-ins than the LE version. It just uses TDM PCI-cards for some extra processing power, and can do 96/192kHz. That's pretty much it.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
you can't afford a ProTools set up.

What an asshole.

Anyways, man, you CAN AFFORD a Pro Tools setup. All you need is Pro Tools M-powered, a M-audio interface, at least 2 mics (1 dynamic, 1 condenser) a simple mixer and some speakers. Please don't let that retarded dude tell you anything different. ALL versions of Pro Tools are awesome, high-end or not.

Know what you're buying.

I had a problem with Pro Tools customer service, but that was all. If you really like it, then get it.
Oh yeah, and you DON'T NEED TO HAVE A MAC COMPUTER, contrary to what most people think. All you need is for your system to be compatible with Pro Tools and Pro Tools is also compatible with Windows. I have Windows and everything works excellent.
People told me all that crap when I was just learning about stuff like Pro Tools.
Quote by alex0203
What an asshole.

Anyways, man, you CAN AFFORD a Pro Tools setup. All you need is Pro Tools M-powered, a M-audio interface,

as I have previously elaborated, that is not a real ProTools setup, with none of the advantages of a real ProTools system.

Last.fm
But its what he's learnt so he's comfortable with it. Who cares if its not "real" or not, if its doing what he wants it to do then there is NO point getting a program like logic which has a steep learning curve and a ridiculous amount of features. I use only about half of whats in logic. Cubase is exactly the same. And if he gets cubase LE, oh no... its not real.

If you can give us 10 GOOD reasons or limitations that LE has over HD for the average user here then i'll gladly side with you.

HD is NOT necessary unless you are recording 16+tracks simultaneously at 192khz,
You run about a thousand plugins at the same time
Your computer (which would have to be a tower) does not have enough power, which once again only happens if you are recording heaps of tracks at once or using a billion plugins.
LE has limited automation... how many people here actively use automation regularly, there are alternatives, that although take a bit more time do the same thing.

Also you can't have unlimited tracks, hell i think my biggest project i ever did was 30 tracks, and that was unnecessarily huge, i could of condensed that VERY easily down to 20.

And to clarify, i run a logic rig, and i'm thinking of upgrading to HD in a few years, why? why not, i'll have a mac pro, apogee ad/da converters, i spend an extra bit of money and i can run pro tools as well for the hell of it.
Last edited by doommaker at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by alex0203
Oh yeah, and you DON'T NEED TO HAVE A MAC COMPUTER, contrary to what most people think. All you need is for your system to be compatible with Pro Tools and Pro Tools is also compatible with Windows. I have Windows and everything works excellent.
People told me all that crap when I was just learning about stuff like Pro Tools.

Logic is Mac only, so to run Logic you do need a mac, and that is the only situation anyone in this thread has been talking about when refering to "needing a mac".
Quote by doommaker

LE has limited automation... how many people here actively use automation regularly, there are alternatives, that although take a bit more time do the same thing.

I use it a hell of a lot, so thats one person. Any others?..

No?..

Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
This Pro Tools HD vs LE thing is bull****. They were developed to be almost equal, so that you can take a big session you've recorded in a pro studio home to continue working on it there, and bring it back to the studio the next day with no loss of quality. I've done this myself.

So unless you have a computer from the stone age that can't handle a lot of plug-ins, there's no reason not to consider the LE version of Pro Tools. Only an idiot would refer to Pro Tools HD as "real ProTools".
Last edited by BrickIsRed at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by willieturnip
I use it a hell of a lot, so thats one person. Any others?..

No?..

I can't recall ever *not* using automation for a project....

I've heard brilliantly done projects done on PT LE, and have had a hand in using that software helping out with a couple of projects. (one using a Digi001 and another using a Digi002 - both on a PC)

As I recall, the limitation is 36 tracks. My version of Cubase has unlimited tracks, but even at that... I have very rarely exceeded 36 tracks - and when I did, it was mostly only because I could.

I didn't notice any limitation for the number of plugins. It allowed us to use as many as we wanted/needed. How many do you need, really? Even with Cubase, which has a limit of something like 16.... I don't think I hardly ever use more than about three.... maaaaaaaybe four. Really, your limiting factor for the number of plugins you can run is not the software.... it's your hardware. Same goes with the number of tracks you can run, really - especially if you're using a 7200rpm HD.

My friends did the mixing on these projects, so I can't comment on the automation functions (or lack of), but these people were totally in love with their ProTools setups. I personally don't think you need the HD version to say you have ProTools.

I am really curious myself as to what the limitations are between LE and HD that are software related. The benefits of HD, as I have always understood it, are all hardware related - the native processing, high-end DSP, and high-end converters.

Sorry.....one other really important thing to add.... it is not the software that dictates the ultimate quality of your recordings. Software plays a small part.... but the part played by:

-knowledge/experience
-mics
-preamps
-methodology
-monitors
-room

... are all much more important.

Both my friends and I (using ProTools LE and Cubase respectively) have gotten tracks on commercial radio.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Mar 8, 2009,
my main issue with LE is that is that you can do a lot better for the money, and without the arbitrary hardware limitations.

Last.fm
Quote by axemanchris
As I recall, the limitation is 36 tracks.

Up to 48 with version 8 actually. So for most projects that's plenty.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
my main issue with LE is that is that you can do a lot better for the money, and without the arbitrary hardware limitations.

I would hardly call a business strategy "arbitrary" but I get your point.

Quote by axemanchris
Software plays a small part.... but the part played by:

-knowledge/experience
-mics
-preamps
-methodology
-monitors
-room

... are all much more important.

+1
I don't understand what the guys problem with ProTools LE is. Personally for me, Le is more than adequate, it's damned good. The 1st and 2nd year studio at Uni runs LE, and I'm getting some ace results out of it. And now with ProTools 8 out, I can see Logic becoming obsolete soon enough, in the next couple of years. Also you're not just stuck using Digidesign hardware. You can run any other form of hardware, just as long as it goes through your Digidesign hardware and then into ProTools. Keep that in mind.
Quote by mh.666
I don't understand what the guys problem with ProTools LE is. Personally for me, Le is more than adequate, it's damned good. The 1st and 2nd year studio at Uni runs LE, and I'm getting some ace results out of it. And now with ProTools 8 out, I can see Logic becoming obsolete soon enough, in the next couple of years. Also you're not just stuck using Digidesign hardware. You can run any other form of hardware, just as long as it goes through your Digidesign hardware and then into ProTools. Keep that in mind.

I doubt it, Logic and Protools are aimed at different markets, although Protools 8 is supposed to have greatly improved MIDI support, I can't see all of the electronic musicians who swear by Logic jumping ship any time soon.

Last.fm
Quote by mh.666

This post is hilarious on so many levels,

Logic obsolete because of ProTools LE 8? Riiiiiiiight.....
what exactly is it that ProTools LE 8 does so well that Logic (or cubase/nuendo) doesn't?
so they finally got off their asses and brought the midi implementation up to standard, but it ain't no Logic killer.

and speaking of obsolete, Digidesign haven't upgraded the HD card technology in over 5 years.

and in terms of the hardware, so i can run a really nice set of tube mic pre-amps into the m-box/003 and still have it sound like an m-box/003 eh? wow, thats awesome.
y'know what'd be more awesome? using Logic with whatever hardware i want and with as many tracks as my computer can handle.
Last edited by TheDriller at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by TheDriller
This post is hilarious on so many levels,

Logic obsolete because of ProTools LE 8? Riiiiiiiight.....
what exactly is it that ProTools LE 8 does so well that Logic (or cubase/nuendo) doesn't?
so they finally got off their asses and brought the midi implementation up to standard, but it ain't no Logic killer.

and speaking of obsolete, Digidesign haven't upgraded the HD card technology in over 5 years.

and in terms of the hardware, so i can run a really nice set of tube mic pre-amps into the m-box/003 and still have it sound like an m-box/003 eh? wow, thats awesome.
y'know what'd be more awesome? using Logic with whatever hardware i want and with as many tracks as my computer can handle.

This is stupid. Logic and Pro Tools have different purposes. Pro Tools is specialized as a multi-track hard disk recorder, intended to replace studio tape machines and DAT machines, with a keyboard shortcut system so you can command it to do any task instantly in a studio situation. Or if you're a producer, you will have a "Pro Tools Operator" who will do anything you ask straight away.

Logic, while it does do recording, is specialized in MIDI and virtual instruments mainly for electronica musicians.

You can do more or less the same stuff on either program, but Pro Tools midi function can be a bitch, while Logic might not be able to slice and fix audio to the same detail.
Quote by BrickIsRed
This is stupid. Logic and Pro Tools have different purposes. Pro Tools is specialized as a multi-track hard disk recorder, intended to replace studio tape machines and DAT machines, with a keyboard shortcut system so you can command it to do any task instantly in a studio situation. Or if you're a producer, you will have a "Pro Tools Operator" who will do anything you ask straight away.

Logic, while it does do recording, is specialized in MIDI and virtual instruments mainly for electronica musicians.

You can do more or less the same stuff on either program, but Pro Tools midi function can be a bitch, while Logic might not be able to slice and fix audio to the same detail.

Thats actually what i was getting at.