So bassically I found a Fender Bassman 1962/63 and was wondering if I should go for it. I'm looking to play Hendrix type stuff, whether it be clean or walls of fuzz. Here's the info the guy gave.

"'63 Blonde Bassman: This amp is a model 6G6B. The preamp tubes are new groove tubes 12AX7 's and it has new TAD 6L6s. The amp was serviced about a year ago and all leaky capacitors were replaced with the highest quality sprauge atom capacitors. The power cord was also replaced with a longer 3 prong cord.All transformers date 1962-1963 and are period correct to be the originals. The cab looks to be original although I have no way of knowing for sure. There is a tag inside the cab indicating that it is "production 43" and there is a "M B" stamped on it. The cab comes with the hardware to mount it on a age appropriate Bassman cab, and I have new tall feet on it so it can sit on other cabs. I can supply the original feet to the buyer. I don't know if the handle on the cab is original."

It's 1,250 bucks. So, what do you guys think?
Feed your mind.
I dunno about the price, but I'm pretty sure Hendrix used a '63 Bassman and his fuzz, univibe and wah in the studio. Go for it.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I do not know where you live, but if you do not buy that immediately, I will find you, and I will kick you in your scrotum.

For me, that's one of the three holy grail Fenders.
Quote by imgooley
I do not know where you live, but if you do not buy that immediately, I will find you, and I will kick you in your scrotum.

For me, that's one of the three holy grail Fenders.

Well if it's got that good a rap from imgooley I may just pull the trigger. Is it a good price?
Feed your mind.
Quote by Firebread
Well if it's got that good a rap from imgooley I may just pull the trigger. Is it a good price?

Since it comes with the matching cab, I believe so. It adds up to about 400 for the cab and 800 for the head. I've seen BF heads go for that much, and the blonde is eleventy billion times better, IMO. I think the 6G6-A is SS rectified, so make sure you check that out, because the 6G6 (no letter) is tube rectified.

You can probably get it down to 1100 if you try.
Quote by imgooley
Since it comes with the matching cab, I believe so. It adds up to about 400 for the cab and 800 for the head. I've seen BF heads go for that much, and the blonde is eleventy billion times better, IMO. I think the 6G6-A is SS rectified, so make sure you check that out, because the 6G6 (no letter) is tube rectified.

You can probably get it down to 1100 if you try.

I asked him and it doesn't come with a Cab.

Edit: It's a 6G6B btw.
Feed your mind.
Last edited by Firebread at Mar 7, 2009,
Quote by Firebread
I asked him and it doesn't come with a Cab.

Edit: It's a 6G6B btw.

Oh.

Well, there's this

http://ampwares.com/amp.asp?id=25

and this

http://ampwares.com/amp.asp?id=26

I've not heard of the 6G6B. That could be the Blackface/Whiteknob version of that same amp, which is also freakin awesome.

As far as price, try to get the cab along with it. Those things typically go for that range as just the head, so it's a fair price.
Quote by imgooley
Oh.

Well, there's this

http://ampwares.com/amp.asp?id=25

and this

http://ampwares.com/amp.asp?id=26

I've not heard of the 6G6B. That could be the Blackface/Whiteknob version of that same amp, which is also freakin awesome.

As far as price, try to get the cab along with it. Those things typically go for that range as just the head, so it's a fair price.

He said he sold the cab. Here's pictures of the head if it helps

Feed your mind.
Alright, that's the one with the SS rectifier, it looks like.

I still say get it. They are markedly hard to find. It's a fair price. The tone is GREAT. Get one, and throw it on an Avatar Traditional cab or a Fender Supersonic cab in blond.
I searched for a deal like that for months and did not find one.

Get it now.
Quote by Mike!
I searched for a deal like that for months and did not find one.

Get it now.

Exactly.

And if you ever sell it, you know who to call
Quote by imgooley
Alright, that's the one with the SS rectifier, it looks like.

I still say get it. They are markedly hard to find. It's a fair price. The tone is GREAT. Get one, and throw it on an Avatar Traditional cab or a Fender Supersonic cab in blond.

You should know I want to play like Hendrix though. Like we're talking cleans and walls of fuzz. So would those cabs work? And is the SS Rectifier bad?
Feed your mind.
Quote by Firebread
You should know I want to play like Hendrix though. Like we're talking cleans and walls of fuzz. So would those cabs work? And is the SS Rectifier bad?

A SS rectifier is not bad by any means. The circuit is more important itself, and the rectifier isn't in the signal path. I prefer the tube rectifier myself because of the slower attack.

And while I don't play hendrix, the stuff that I play is walls of fuzz and beautiful cleans as well, a la Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, and Hound Dog Taylor. I'd kill for this amp, and those cabs will match up very well with that amp. I forget what kind of speakers come in the Super Sonic cab, but you might want to throw some 30 watt Weber Alnicos in there.
Quote by imgooley
A SS rectifier is not bad by any means. The circuit is more important itself, and the rectifier isn't in the signal path. I prefer the tube rectifier myself because of the slower attack.

And while I don't play hendrix, the stuff that I play is walls of fuzz and beautiful cleans as well, a la Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, and Hound Dog Taylor. I'd kill for this amp, and those cabs will match up very well with that amp. I forget what kind of speakers come in the Super Sonic cab, but you might want to throw some 30 watt Weber Alnicos in there.

The super sonic is very expensive though. It looks like 700-900 bucks if I'm not mistaken. Am I wrong? The Avatar looks to be much more affordable at around 400?
Feed your mind.
its a normal price
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
its a normal price

Thanks for clearing that up man.
Feed your mind.
Quote by chea_man
its a normal price

The only thing is that it's not like they pop up every day. I said it was a fair price
Quote by RHCPFitz
Get it. ask for a cheaper price since he sold the cab.

Like how much?
Feed your mind.
Quote by Firebread
Like how much?

You should meet him in person and offer him something like 975, cash in hand. If he doesn't want it, start haggling.

But it's better to meet the guy in person and do business face to face, to display the intent to buy.
Quote by imgooley
You should meet him in person and offer him something like 975, cash in hand. If he doesn't want it, start haggling.

But it's better to meet the guy in person and do business face to face, to display the intent to buy.

Well it's kinda hard since he's in Cali and I'm in Mass. Opposite sides of the US. And does this thing work without a cab? Like could I still play it in my room until I get a cab.
Feed your mind.
Quote by Firebread
Well it's kinda hard since he's in Cali and I'm in Mass. Opposite sides of the US. And does this thing work without a cab? Like could I still play it in my room until I get a cab.

No cab means no speakers to create sound. And you never turn an amp head on without a cab connected, ever. It's not a bad deal by any means either.

Edit: You could mod your blues jr to use that as a cab by adding a 1/4 jack and a bit of simple wiring. Until you can score a decent cab.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 7, 2009,
if you ask me, it sounds like they took all the 60's out of it.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by Firebread

Where in Cali is he?

If you don't end up with it, I just might :stickpoke
Quote by imgooley
Where in Cali is he?

If you don't end up with it, I just might :stickpoke

If I don't get it (which I probably will) then he's putting it up on EBay. So if I don't get it I'll send him a message saying I got a friend who's interested, and see if he'll just give it to you in that case.
Feed your mind.
Quote by Firebread
If I don't get it (which I probably will) then he's putting it up on EBay. So if I don't get it I'll send him a message saying I got a friend who's interested, and see if he'll just give it to you in that case.

If Goolz doesn't want it, I'd probably want to talk to him.
Thought I should let you guys know I have pulled the trigger. I'll have a 1962/63 Fender Bassman head on my front step in the next week. I'll put up pictures and what not when I get it. Now the question becomes, what cab should I get? I was told a good match would be a Trutone cab. I honestly know nothing about Cabs, so any help would be appreciated.
Feed your mind.
Quote by Firebread
Thought I should let you guys know I have pulled the trigger. I'll have a 1962/63 Fender Bassman head on my front step in the next week. I'll put up pictures and what not when I get it. Now the question becomes, what cab should I get? I was told a good match would be a Trutone cab. I honestly know nothing about Cabs, so any help would be appreciated.

You want to go with a 2x12, 4x12, 2x15, or 4x10?
Quote by imgooley
You want to go with a 2x12, 4x12, 2x15, or 4x10?

I don't know what the differences are other than size. I'll have about 400 dollars to spend on a cab though, so I'm assuming the prices go up as the size gets bigger.
Feed your mind.
Quote by Firebread
I don't know what the differences are other than size. I'll have about 400 dollars to spend on a cab though, so I'm assuming the prices go up as the size gets bigger.

Meh, if I were you, I'd just get an Avatar 2x12.

Like this one.

Throw some webers in there, and you're good.
Quote by imgooley
Meh, if I were you, I'd just get an Avatar 2x12.

Like this one.

Throw some webers in there, and you're good.

I'm assuming Webers are the speakers. So which model Webers should I get. And which model Avatar should I get? Vintage, Traditional, Contemporary?
Feed your mind.
What about a Marshall 4x12 cab? I know you can get them used for around 400 bucks. I am not sure if that price would have the best speakers for your head. Personally I would want to get a matching blonde fender cab, but that would probably be more money.

I think you should be able to get the hendrix sound with the right Marshall cab, but I am no expert on speakers.
Quote by Firebread
I'm assuming Webers are the speakers. So which model Webers should I get. And which model Avatar should I get? Vintage, Traditional, Contemporary?

That pic is a Traditional G212H, so a traditional would be what I would go with.

Email Ted Weber for more specifics on speakers, but I'd think Alnicos would fit the best.
Quote by imgooley
That pic is a Traditional G212H, so a traditional would be what I would go with.

Email Ted Weber for more specifics on speakers, but I'd think Alnicos would fit the best.

Alicinos would push it out of my price range.
Feed your mind.
Congrats! Nice head. I'd talk to Ted and the guys at Avatar, I'm sure you guys can work something out. It deserves a proper cab.
Quote by Firebread
Alicinos would push it out of my price range.

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/

I don't know.

You could get some speaks to get you by for right now and upgrade when you get the chance.