Hey guys,

I've been playing for a few years. I'm left handed, but I chose to play right handed to avoid guitar limitations, and also because before I had ever played it seemed as though the fretting hand was the more difficult one to develop. I was wrong.

I've been improving ever since I started, sometimes I feel I've hit a plateau, but I always end up breaking through.

I always hoped to aspire to play fast lead, and i'm quite pleased with my progress.

However, I have found that over the past few months I've noticed that the only thing really limiting my speed is my picking, which I practice rigorously and have been for some time.

My fretting hand is always at ease, I'm just always struggling to keep up with the picking.

Don't get me wrong, the difference in hands is not by any means extreme. I just find myself wondering: Would I have been better off had I started playing left handed? I hope that my choice to play right handed will not prevent me from reaching the level I desire.

I fear its much too late to turn back, I cant imagine playing left handed, its like the first time I ever picked up a guitar.

Has anyone experienced this? or is it just coincidence that my picking technique lags
Last edited by matt9481 at Mar 7, 2009,
I am a lefty who plays a righty.

Yes, right handed **** is hard to co-ordinate because it's your weaker hand. I've always found legato and sweeps to be ridiculously easy because my left hand is dominant. But alternate picking is very difficult for me, you just gotta practice a lot. Bust out that metronome and do some alt. picking exercise mang.

EDIT: So I guess what it means is, I might have found sweeps and legato to be very difficult if I played a lefty guitar, but alt. picking would be easier. There's always a trade-off, I know that much to be true.
Last edited by beadhangingOne at Mar 7, 2009,
Don't worry, I'm left handed but play righty too, and it just means you've got to work on that hand more, and it means you get more of a break with your fretting hand, is all. *shrugs*. Trade-offs, as the above poster said.
I think you should train yourself to become ambidextrous, like Batio.
Here are some tips on how to:
http://www.the-biomatrix.net/become-ambidextrous.htm

EDIT:
Because becoming ambidextrous would improve the strength and accuracy of your right hand, making right handed picking easier.
Last edited by wesselbindt at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by wesselbindt
I think you should train yourself to become ambidextrous, like Batio.
Here are some tips on how to:
http://www.the-biomatrix.net/become-ambidextrous.htm

sorry, that's a waste of time.
most people won't want to play guitar WITH TWO GUITARS.

just stick to right handed type.
you made the right choice, because you'd have less guitars to choose from, teaching you would be hell for whoever teaches you (if someone does at all, which would be best), or just looking at diagrams in the intrawebz would be harder.

alternate picking, as even my teacher said, it's the hardest technique you'll ever bump into when playing electric guitar.
and that i agree. you learn legato and all the fretting stuff much quicker than alternate picking. that's because you don't have to coordinate it with anything other than rhythm, and you only use one hand. it's half the effort. so that's really no surprise that your picking hand is slower / sloppier. just practice your regular stuff, half legato, half picking.
I've had problems with getting my picking speed on a par with my fretting before but with enough practice I can do it. I'm also a lefty playing a righty.... Though my situation may not be exactly the same, as I use my right hand most (for writing and the like) because my mom didn't want a left handed kid.

Anyway, just practice it. With the alternate picking, try slowing it down and saying to yourself whether each note is an upstroke or a downstroke, eventually it becomes natural to you.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
I'm a left handed writer, but with everything else my right arm is pretty much strongest.
I find my picking hand is the same as my fretting hand...
Ps, i play guitar right handed.
whats up, another lefty playing a righty here. i can say from personal experience you actually picked the easier way to do it. when i first start playing guitar all those years ago i actually strung my guitar upside down to see if playing left handed would be easier, i found out really quickly that when you're first starting its alot easier to delegate chord patterns to your dominant hand and let your weaker hand handle the picking. trust me when i say plenty of solid proper practice will fix whatever playing problems you may have. i started off doing simple metallica stuff and chord stuff. in the beginning your picking will be really wide because its a new task and you're training your muscles to do something they've never done before, but with enough practice you can get it down so that you can pick easily with your right hand. a lefty can write with his right hand if he practices enough, guitar is no different.
It makes sense to me then. I have the same problem; I can fret a series of fast legato work like nothing else, my 3-string sweeps are godly, and I can tap like crazy after only about 6 months of playing, only 3 of which have been serious.
Its all situational. Im a lefty playing lefty and I cant barely hold a guitar right handed let alone play one. If you have come this far and your dedicated to staying righty I would just work harder. Maybe try flipping the guitar upside down and see if it feels any "easier" for you?
ATTENTION LEFT HANDED PEOPLE WHO PLAY RIGHT HANDED AND WANT TO SHRED BUT THINK THEY WON'T BE ABLE TO: Michael Angelo Batio is left handed and he'll shred your face off, Gus G. is left handed and he'll shred your face off and Herman Li(love him or hate him) is left handed and will shred your face off. Don't worry about not being able to shred as well, trust me, it's possible.
Quote by Geldin
It makes sense to me then. I have the same problem; I can fret a series of fast legato work like nothing else, my 3-string sweeps are godly, and I can tap like crazy after only about 6 months of playing, only 3 of which have been serious.

lol, you are funny.
Im a lefty or "half ambidextrous" (I do most things asides from writing with my right hand), and due to the co-ordination between my hands, I was able to sweep pick excellently, as well as helping my alt picking etc, so its no big issue I guess.