Yo
I suddenly got a case of metallica-fever, and I would like to learn some of their songs...I wonder if someone could post a list of say 7-10 songs ordered in difficulty.
I'm not very good at guitar, but not very bad either (I am sure that tell you alot lol) however I really need a goal and a path to it if I'm to practice seriously. So what are the hardest and easiest metallica songs in your opinion?
fade to black,
for whom the bell tolls,
fuel,
unforgiven,
the judas kiss,
leper messiah
creeping death
ride the lightning
master of puppets, just to name a few
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Enter Sandman (easy)
Whiskey in the Jar (because I think their version is fun and easy to play )
Battery (if you're up for something more challenging...)
I think Seek and Destroy is pretty easy
The intro to One is fairly simple and the "hold my breath as i..." part is easy
Fade to Black isnt too difficult
Unforgiven
Enter Sandman is easy
Day that never comes intro solo, chorus isnt too hard
Battery
Master Of puppets
the last 2 i find more difficult as i can't play them to the actual tempo, but slowing it down still sounds as good to me.

This is going to depend on the guitarist posting, this is what i think after playing for around 8 months.
I think you misunderstood me
I would like a set of songs sorted by difficulty, so that I can start with the easiest song and then move on to harder and harder songs until finally being able to play their hardest tunes.

Quote by constructbot
fade to black,
for whom the bell tolls,
fuel,
unforgiven,
the judas kiss,
leper messiah
creeping death
ride the lightning
master of puppets, just to name a few

is that sorted by difficulty? fade to black doesn't sound easy :S

Thanks
Quote by and3nlol
I think you misunderstood me
I would like a set of songs sorted by difficulty, so that I can start with the easiest song and then move on to harder and harder songs until finally being able to play their hardest tunes.

is that sorted by difficulty? fade to black doesn't sound easy :S

Thanks

well, the intro is very easy while the verse is slightly harder, but i still don't find it hard..
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
I haven't learned too many Metallica songs truthfully, but from what I do know, Enter Sandman is probably their easiest. :P

I would probably put The Thing That Should Not Be closer to the harder side of the list, if only because of the solo.

Those are really the only ones I'd know the difficulty of the whole way through. I would honestly listen to the songs you like, attempt the tab for each and then make your list like that if I were you.
Try this one out.

Enter Sandman
Don't Tread on Me
The Unforgiven II
The Unforgiven III
The End of the Line
Seek and Destroy
Master of Puppets
Metal Militia
The Frayed Ends of Sanity

I'd say that's in a decent order, but what is more difficult for somebody could be easy for you.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
the first riffs and such i started learning where metallicas, id say this is a decent order

enter sandman
seek and destroy
one (all the riffs are pretty easy, its the solos and depending on your "skill", the machine gun part)
ride the lightening
battery (galloping = fun as fook)
master of puppets
I eat pieces of sh*t like you for breakfast...

YOU EAT PIECES OF SH*T FOR BREAKFAST?
mama said
enter sandman
one
fade to black
the unforgiven
sad but true
welcome home (sanitarium)
and then they get hard :P
These are pretty intermediate songs (somewhere between Sandman and Puppets :P)

The Thing that Should Not Be
Sad But True

Thingy has a pretty fun rhythm guitar, and the solo isn't from the hardest end I think. Sad But True has some trickier rhythm stuff. Also note both songs are played in D.
Nothing else matters was one of the first Metallica songs I learnt. gets progressivly harder untill the vers which is a doddle!
For Whom the Bell Tolls is their easiest song from the 80s.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
Some of their Load stuff is pretty fun and easy to play. I like Outlaw Torn, King Nothing, Bleeding Me etc.

I was playing along to 2X4 in about 5 minutes (and that's saying something, because I'm terrible).

If you prefer their older stuff, a few that weren't mentioned yet are Jump in the Fire, Eye of the Beholder (I slow these two down a bit), and My Friend of Misery. All pretty good for beginners I think.
I can suggest 2 that are easy and fun to play:

Seek and Destroy
Metal Militia

Metal Militia will really help with your shredding skills.
enter sandman - really easy
the unforgiven (I never looked at the solo tho so dunno what thats like)
nothing else matters - lots easier than it looks
fade to black - must be pretty easy as I can play it up to speed apart from the little arpeggio run in the solo lol

I never learned any others so couldn't rate them
For Whom the Bell Tolls man, that's gotta be the easiest! Even the solo hehe. Oh yeah, and the runner-up is Sandman, of course :P
STRIKING MINORS
I've never done much finger-picking, will Nothing Else Matters be real hard for me?
Quote by and3nlol
I've never done much finger-picking, will Nothing Else Matters be real hard for me?

Not if you start off slowly. That was the first song I ever played that had finger picking and really it's not too hard.

Here's a few songs of theirs that I've learned. I've arranged them in order from easiest to hardest based on my experience with them.

Enter Sandman
Nothing Else Matters
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Astronomy
Unforgiven
Fade to Black
Sad but True
Seek and Destroy
Wherever I May Roam
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
One
Am I Evil
Breadfan
The Four Horsemen
Metal Militia
Mercyful Fate
Helpless
Creeping Death
Hit The Lights
Harvester of Sorrow
Master of Puppets
Battery
Frayed Ends of Sanity
Ride the Lightning
Whiplash
Phantom Lord

Hope that helps.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by and3nlol
thanks, but is that with or without the solos in consideration?

It depends on the solo really. Most of Kirk's solos use a lot of the same patterns and phrasing. Sad But true has a pretty easy solo to learn if you take it in parts, and work through it slowly, and gradually build, but that is the case with any solo really.

The Solo for The Unforgiven is another one that is a bit more simple until mid point when he really goes off on the neck.

What I recommend for learning Metallica songs is: Listen to each song YOU would like to learn closely. Then look at the tabs.

One thing you will DEFINITELY notice about most of Metallica's songs, is that they use a LOT of the same chord progressions. This is especially true with Death Magnetic, because they use a little of EVERYTHING.

So here is my list for you.

1. HARVESTER OF SORROW! Seriously. This is one of the EASIEST songs to learn.

2. Enter Sandman: There is a reason that most music stores had the "No Enter Sandman" signs up in the guitar section... Every newbie that plays guitar and likes Metal eventually learns at least the intro and verse riffs.

3. Fade to Black

4. Seek And Destroy

5. Sad But True

6. For Whom the Bell Tolls

7. Leper Messiah

10. My Friend of Misery

11. Sanitarium

12. One

13. Suicide & Redemption

14. Cyanide

15. The Four Horsemen

16. Whiplash

17. The Day That Never Comes (This song will give you a workout when it gets heavy and fast)

18. Master Of Puppets

19. The Judas Kiss

20. DYERS EVE

21. The Prince (I love the main riff in this song!)

22. Through the Never

Now I have omitted quite a few songs that are really easy. Check out Load for some of them: King nothing, 2x4, Bleeding me, Ronnie...

I just recommended the songs that I found quite easy to learn. Some of them I struggled with (Master of Puppets and Dyer's Eve).

"Easy" is a subjective term however. What one person may find easy, might be something that makes another want to drink a gallon of windex. (Mmm blue Kool-aid!)

It all depends on your skill level, and disciplines.
I'll just name one song since nobody has mentioned it.

Orion

Some nice riffage, nice solos, nice harmonies, the classical part is just awesome to play and then it's heavy again - it's great.
Fade to Black is not too bad. But it is not the easiest.

I would suggest classics such as Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matters to start with. Both are fairly simple and you'll easily be able to rock out and maintain motivation.

When you want to get to more of the difficult stuff, I would highly recommend Master of Puppets. It isn't too difficult besides the solo, and anyone can recognize that intro riff.

Past that : Blackened. Good luck, you'll need it.
i dont get why seek and destroy is easier then master of puppets. The solo for seek and destroy is ways harder then master of puppets or is just me
Easy:

Enter Sandman
For whom the bell tolls

Medium:

That was Just your life
One

Hard:
Mater of puppets
Creeping Death
Battery
Quote by DIFTWOOD
i dont get why seek and destroy is easier then master of puppets. The solo for seek and destroy is ways harder then master of puppets or is just me

Personally, I find the solo harder in Seek because it has much less of an actual pattern than Master - Seek is all just pentatonic shred (more or less), and as such there are very few good tabs out for it.
Blackened is hard, especially if you're new to thrash. That open E pedal tone verse riff will challenge you, and the solo's not exactly beginner either...
For whom the bell tolls
So what
Sad but true
The day that never comes
Of wolf and man
...And Justice For all
Master of Puppets
Blackened

That is my list. For whom the bell tolls is their easiest song and Blackened is probably their hardest. It requires fast picking and alternate picking.
edgy meems only friendo :^)
For Whom the Bell Tolls (easy)
Enter Sandman (moderately easy - the solo is pretty tough)
Nothing Else Matters (moderately easy)
Fade to Black (Moderate - the solo at the end is challenging)
One (moderately difficult)
Master of Puppets (beastly)
Easy:
Enter Sandman/For whom the bells toll/Nothing Else Matters

I'd honestly recommend going straight into master of puppets and slow it down to like 30% and work it up from there instead of playing those easier riffs, but don't try the solo yet. I think Fade to Black is a good place to start (for me at least)

Blackened and Dyers Eve are probably their hardest.
1=Easiest
10=Hardest

1. Unforgiven
2. Am I Evil(Metallica Cover)
3. Fade to Black
4. The Day That Never Comes
5. Enter Sandman
6. Seek & Destroy
7. One
8. Master of Puppets
Gear:

Guitar: Oscar Schmidt Acoustic

Piano: Yamaha EA

Microphone: CAD U37
why didnt anyone mention "untill it sleeps"?
Chorus and verse is pretty easy, and the solo has to be the easiest solo from a metallica song.

and its just a great song to play
I'd try this order:
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Enter Sandman
Seek and Destroy
One
Harvester of Sorrow
Master of Puppets

Yes, Nothing Else Matters can get difficult if you don't finger pick, but practice it enough and you'll get it.