Turn a guitar from a Block bolt on, to an AANJ.

Right now, its like

I want it kinda like

If I were to do this to a cheap starter Ibanez guitar, what would I have to watch for? Because its not easy to play the higher frets, and damn near impossible standing up. Is it even possible? Recommended?
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
Well yeah you can do it, but you wont be able to shape the heel that much before the top left screw becomes un stable.

And you would need to replace the plate with ferrules with means the screws will sit lower down and you would have to check that they wont go into the fretboard, and drill the screws in the neck deeper to accomodate.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Will it become too unstable to properly use? Its KIND of my only guitar right now and I dont wanna do anything that would be too risky..
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
you will barely be able to shape the heel at all if the screws are that close to the edge. i strongly advise against it, especially if its your only guitar....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
He could plug the holes with dowel and use a drill press to move them inwards. It's doable, but since its your only guitar I wouldn't recommend it. Also, it will be to be refinished after you do it. Also, if the body is plywood I wouldn't bother with shaping it. I tried shaping a guitar that was plywood before, and its not fun to seal and fix up after.
^"he" is a she....

anyway, you could move the screw holes, but DO NOT unless you have a drill press. a handheld drill will go on an angle and f*** up the neck.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Alright, thanks.. I guess Ill have to wait till I get another guitar with an AANJ or something.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
^"he" is a she....

anyway, you could move the screw holes, but DO NOT unless you have a drill press. a handheld drill will go on an angle and f*** up the neck.

I thought you were calling me a she for a second there. DOH!... sorry.
Quote by PainIsPower

I thought you were calling me a she for a second there. DOH!... sorry.

Well, I CAN get access to a drill press, however if this is a bit risky, I would rather wait a bit till I have another guitar with an AANJ.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Quote by KiraIBZ
Alright, thanks.. I guess Ill have to wait till I get another guitar with an AANJ or something.

No way! I've done this exact mod a few times, and it turned out FANTASTICALLY both times. Here:

Both of those heels were HUGE, bulbous Strat-style blocks that I modded. Simply cut the heel so your "sculpted side" screw hole is cut off, then drill a new one a little ways back. It works great, the stability is extremely reliable, and the feel is fantastic.
^i think she just means in case she screws up. i hated my epi, but wouldnt touch it mods wise till i got another guitar, cause at least it was playable.

however, after getting a second guitar, mod away!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by KiraIBZ
Well, I CAN get access to a drill press, however if this is a bit risky, I would rather wait a bit till I have another guitar with an AANJ.

It shouldn't be to bad as long as you dont get too aggressive with it. A router would be needed also to get it to look like the one in the picture, but similar things can be done with files, rasps, and or sand paper.

To do it you would need to use the drill press to drill out the holes bigger, glue in dowel n both the neck and the guitar. . Let it dry, cut then to length and sand flush. At this point I would probably strip the entire body of the guitar because it will need to be refinished in the end anyways. Mark off what you want to take off. Redrill where you want your hole while everything is still flat because it is easier that way. Chop it up. Refinish guitar. Reinstall everything.
Dowels? And would that thin (plus smoothing out the edges to make it a bit less blocky) of a joint last? I dont wanna mod this thing and after a while realise I can raise and lower the pitch of the guitar 5 tones just by putting pressure on the neck... Its a Basswood guitar.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
wait wait wait...you want to THIN the joint too?? you'll need new bolts for the neck then, the old ones will go straight through it.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Well I figured that XD. Its more of the actual thinning and beveling of the joint that scares the crap out of me... Dont wanna destroy it in the process and be out a guitar for... God knows how long...
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Yeah, I think Ill be waiting, I dont do the neck whammy effect anyways.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Basswoods pretty soft so when/ if you do it watch you don't take to much wood away.

You might wanna go to a pawn shop and see if theres any cheap guitars there with bulky strat heels that you can practice on.
Quote by guitarcam123
Basswoods pretty soft so when/ if you do it watch you don't take to much wood away.

You might wanna go to a pawn shop and see if theres any cheap guitars there with bulky strat heels that you can practice on.

Technically it is a cheap guitar :P
But Ive decided to wait till I have another guitar just in case something goes wrong. Thanks anyways.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr