So! I write this to all the happless noobs.

A few years ago I had gotten a free hartke bass. It had a a staggered humbucker and a single coil near the bridge. Two volume knobs and a tone knob.

The problems it was having was that the tone knob would BUZZ so hard if it wasn't on all the way (full grounding of the treble/high frequencies) This was with the humbucker (which shouldn't really have any buzz) and the single, which was a freaking bumble bee hive worth of buzz.

I took a few basic steps and then some more advanced ones to get a pretty decent bass for free!

Basics:
Take off all the bridge components and ensure that the grounding wire is exposed and is touching a BARE METAL part of the bridge. This means if you have a bridge painted black or what not try to scrape off a big enough part of that near where the hole where the grounding wire comes out of... a small .5" x .5" is usually big enough.

Strip off some of the grounding wires sheath to expose more wire, this is to make better contact with the bridge.

If you have a single coil, its going to buzz NO MATTER WHAT you do. this is the inherient behavior of single coils that they have the 60hz hum! So don't expect these tips to reduce the buzz from a single as there will always be a little bit of buzz, if it bothers you that much spring for an isp decimator.

Make sure that the input jacks leads are seperate and have no contact with each other! This means that the wire from the tip should never come close to the wire to the ground. You can sometimes rotate the spots where the leads come out of the jack, but if you can't you can use electrical tape or just some simple movement of the wires to get them away from each other.

Make sure that all the pots have been secured to the body itself. This important as a loose jack may fall into the routed cavity and get into places it shouldn't touch.

Advanced
Copper shielding of all the cavities. There are many guides on how to do this, but all I can say on doing this is to use a self adhesive copper tape like the one that 3m makes. Use several strips and be very careful as to not touch any components that have current in them as this will mess up the signal and might shock or ruin some components.

Re solder and replace all the pots and wires. This may seem complicated, but in reality soldering is quite simple and takes patience and a little practice. Make sure all the solder points are nice and shiny and secure (don't rip them off but a gentle tug can tell you if its a good joint) and make sure to use 60/40 rosin cored solder (the industry standard I believe) and a good hot iron.

Finally, if you just can't stand the buzz and you've tried these steps, it simply might be the pickups or the amp. If you really like the bass you have and you just cannot stand the buzz it produces, it might be time to get a nice set of new humbuckers in your bass to get rid of the buzz as much as possible.

Please feel free to comment, complain about any parts of this.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel