I've got a vox 50w VT XL (2-12, tube pre amp) and it has always sounded perfect for me with my sg-g400 with seymour duncan sh-5 pickup in the bridge... until a couple days ago. It started to sound a lot muddier and I can't seem to fix it. Any ideas on why and more importantly, how to fix it? I am pretty sure it's the amp, not the guitar.
that's a thought I had, but I've only had the amp for about 6 months, how likely is that? I know it's a cheapo tube.
yah thats true but how often do you play it and at what volume.

next thing id be looking at is the speakers.

take it to a guitar shop and plug it into a cab and see whats up.

maybe your ears are more developed now and the amp just sounds muddy.
Quote by THEKID546
maybe its the preamp tube.

try replacing it and see if that works.

It dosen't have a preamp tube It's in the power amp.

The tube should be fine.
Try cleaning out all the inputs and outputs with electrical switch cleaner. Also try a factory reset. If that all fails then you try changing the tube.

As has been said perhaps your ears have developed and it only sounds different to you. A speaker change can do these amps a world of good.

If you are technically minded I recomend doing the FX loop mod and running an EQ in the loop. Makes it sound like you've taken a blanket off your amp!
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Last edited by Sampy at Mar 7, 2009,
actually, i think its a preamp tube in the poweramp if i'm not mistaken?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Yep. An ECC83/12AX7 in the poweramp
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
alright, sounds good.

I probably will switch out the tube, it's only like 15 or 20 bucks. I just talked to the guy at the guitar store a couple blocks away and he said it was likely the problem... I'll run through the standard clean up solutions too.

Since the tube is in the poweramp I'm assuming it wouldn't do me much good to spend money (that I don't have much of) to put a nicer tube in there?
As far as I'm aware the quality of the tube really dosen't matter because of the way the amp uses the tube differently to all-tube amps. Just get a cheap one.
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by Sampy
Yep. An ECC83/12AX7 in the poweramp
Maybe it's a 12AX7 in a digital modeling circuit.