So before I run out and buy the recording goodies I'm after, I'm curious as to how good my PC is for some fairly basic recording stuff (not building a full-on studio, just a decent set-up to make music on my own at home). These are the specs...

Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHZ
2 GB DDR2 RAM
512 MB video card
160 GB Hard drive (only like 50 GB free, lol)
Windows XP
Firewire 400 ports

I'll be running a Presonus Inspire, with the Cubase LE that comes with it for the time being (It's got to be better than Audacity, I figure).

Is this good? or should I upgrade something?
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I would get an HD dedicated to music stuff personally, like an 80 gig.

other than that it's fine.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i use a sata II 250gb..i master tracks etc..but for that its simple
faster access = better recording imo..
firewire + usb not too much diff, bottlenecks at the audio buffer anyway.. so usb track or f/w track are the same.
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
K, sweet. A buddy of mine could actually give me a good deal on a full terrabyte hard drive, which I'm kind of thinking about doing even though I'd barely make use of it, lol.

And tax return finally came, so new recording gear time is here!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
just remember, that if you want to use your new HD for other stuff make sure all of your music stuff is done on a separate partition.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
You'll be surprised how quickly free space gets eaten up by music files when you're recording. A new hard drive is a worthy investment. If you're running 15+ tracks at once in Cubase, I would recommend you buy a 10 000rpm hard drive instead. You can purchase one at Dell.com for pretty cheap, and the load times (IMO) are well worth it if you're mixing lots of tracks all the time. If not, then a regular 7200rpm hard drive will suffice and you can spend the cash on more space.
Quote by les_paul_01
In Soviet Russia, song copyrights you!