I was just at my local guitar store and they have a mesa dual rectifier, a single rectifier and a stiletto the single rectifier is $1500 the dual is $1900 and I didnt get the price for the stiletto, I only tried the single rectifier and I loved it I was just wondering what is the better deal the dual or single for metal/metalcore (Prices are Canadian)

Thanks
I don't know why but almost every hardcore/metal band i've seen uses the dual rec not the single. If you like the single then go for it, but i'd try to dual rec out too.
The DR have a bit more balls and oomph to them because of the bigger power section. If you want that extra sag and can handle the extra wattage go with the DR if not the SR is a good amp although I prefer the Stiletto out of the three. If either of these rectifiers are are the original two channel models I'd grab one though.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
^ def.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by jacksonuser123
Im on a tight budget also is 50watts of tube enough to gig 100-150 people

50 watt tube will blow your brains out...
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
50 watts is insanely loud, I run my JCM 800 at around 5 for band practice, and we play really loud.

I put it up to ten once, and it was destructive. I was wearing earplugs and it still hurt.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
The Dual Recto IMHO is awesome. I really don't know where you getting your prices from though...mind telling? Those are a little steep :?
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I played the Triple Rec (pretty much the same as the Dual Rec) and it was very unimpressive for the money

I've heard the Single Rec is better because it doesn't use Tube Rectification and thus doesn't have the flubby low end of the Dual and Triple Recs. Plus its 50 watts so you'll get better results when cranking compared to 100 watts.

I don't know much about the Stiletto, but everything I've heard about it has been gold.

My suggestion is to try all these amps out and research more options, Mesa's are awesome, but most of the time I found that they can be overpriced for what they are.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Those prices are horrendous! Where about in Canada do you live?
lol
same...except im in the remote north

if its southern, I suggest going and checking out Long and McQuade...better prices all around
^^^ triple recs and dual recs sound different, i dont care what bull**** explanation anyone tries to give. i love the dual rec (if used correctly cough) but i would not pay more than $1200ish dollars for one. you can get a used one for a grand er so on craigslist or ebay. i got mine fer nothing. NOT worth 1900
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
wtf....not in manitoba..... thats really weird

well, i mean, the dual rips hard, but so does the single

only diffference being wattage, and that the dual has more headroom for cleans etc.... it may sound more saggy...but if you like it...go for it!
most bands I listen to use a triple rectifier. I ended up buying the triple because I liked the power and headroom it has. Some people will say you don't need 150 watts but it's not really about that. The dual rec is just as loud as the triple rec pretty much. The triple rec has a bit more low end and sounds more powerful. It also does better with low tunings. But a single rec is fine also.

Honestly if you are getting it for your bedroom get the single rec. If you are getting it for a band situation get a dual or triple.
Quote by funkymonkz
50 watts is insanely loud, I run my JCM 800 at around 5 for band practice, and we play really loud.

I put it up to ten once, and it was destructive. I was wearing earplugs and it still hurt.

what?!?!?!?!?!??!??!??!??!??!??!??!??.........?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

dude ive never turned one of these past 2.5!!!!! your cab musta ****ing died!!! how does that even work?!?!?

(for those of you that dont know the jcm 800 is the loudest amp in the universe.)

wow
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by jacksonuser123
I have the money for the single I just dont want to pay for it if its a rip off

Why would you think it's a rip off? If you play something and it sounds good to your ears how could they rip you off? It's a quality built amp. It will last forever. It will work damn good on recordings also. Buy it if you like it. Try out some other amps first though like the mississippi mesa (6505)
Im getting it for both I play in my bedroom and in a band but 50watts is fine I dont really want to spend another $500 for 50 more watts
Quote by jacksonuser123
Im getting it for both I play in my bedroom and in a band but 50watts is fine I dont really want to spend another $500 for 50 more watts

It's worth it if you're playing in a band. The single rec can be heard easily in a band too but it doesn't have the same sort of tone turned up loud.
Quote by acdclandon
I played the Triple Rec (pretty much the same as the Dual Rec) and it was very unimpressive for the money

I've heard the Single Rec is better because it doesn't use Tube Rectification and thus doesn't have the flubby low end of the Dual and Triple Recs. Plus its 50 watts so you'll get better results when cranking compared to 100 watts.

I don't know much about the Stiletto, but everything I've heard about it has been gold.

My suggestion is to try all these amps out and research more options, Mesa's are awesome, but most of the time I found that they can be overpriced for what they are.

The dual and triple recs use can use both SS and tube rectification..and usually ppl set it to ss for high gain...

thus, the flubby low end is not a result of that
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
The dual and triple recs use can use both SS and tube rectification..and usually ppl set it to ss for high gain...

thus, the flubby low end is not a result of that

ah thanks for clearing that up.

I still think theirs flubby low end on at least the Triple Rec that I played. Honestly sounded more like a 500 dollar amp than 1700 or whatever it was.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon

I still think theirs flubby low end on at least the Triple Rec that I played. Honestly sounded more like a 500 dollar amp than 1700 or whatever it was.

I agree. getting a tone that indicates the amount of money spent usually takes QUITE some time to dial in, and crazy crankage. not my thing.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
They sound like expensive amps to me but you got to know what you are doing with them. I mean it's like some people have their 6505's set like crap and it sounds worse than a line 6.
Quote by hcsn2008
They sound like expensive amps to me but you got to know what you are doing with them. I mean it's like some people have their 6505's set like crap and it sounds worse than a line 6.

it's easier to make a recto sound like **** than a 6505, and i dont even think a 6505 sounds all that great to begin with.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
For the record Mesa amps in general are very sensitive amps with interactive controls. It takes quite some time for alot of Mesa players to dial in their tone because of that. That being said I find the original type of rectifiers to be a bit flabby in the low end even with solid state rectification. I still like recs but if I had my choice I wouldn't pick one over a Stiletto. A Roadster or Roadking are different stories though for my tastes. So TS go back to the shop and spend quality time with each of the amps and make your choice based on what you feel is better and what you feel comfortable spending the cash on.

As for people discussing the prices it's simple really. Mesa much like every other high end guitar and amp manufacturer makes sets their prices based one the components used and what people are willing to pay above their manufacturing costs. Their a famous brand because lots of touring musicians use them that alot of us love. If you play a Mesa amp and you love it enough to buy it at whatever the current price may be you buy it. If you feel its not worth the price or you just can't justify spending the cash for whatever personal reasons you have you don't buy it. I love Mesa amps and I don't mind dropping the coin on them. I also love the Bogner Ecstasy but I believe that it simple costs too much for what I am comfortable spending on a new amp, so I will buy used when I get the time and money. Pricing is totally subjective. If you want a cheaper price buy used if not buy new and enjoy your gear.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
get the single, the extra 50 watt is a total waste no matter what venue you perform. plus the fact that is 50 watt you can drive the tube harder = more exquisite tone.
Quote by kayman121
it's easier to make a recto sound like **** than a 6505, and i dont even think a 6505 sounds all that great to begin with.

My 6505 sounds really good. In a band situation anyway. I can't find an amp that will get as dark and hold up as well as it will. It's not my favorite amp for low volume though. But for playing really loud in a band it's the best. I like the JSX at low volume but the JSX won't hold together as good at high volume and doesn't have the drive of the 6505.
Quote by kckyle
get the single, the extra 50 watt is a total waste no matter what venue you perform. plus the fact that is 50 watt you can drive the tube harder = more exquisite tone.

Well really it's not. Theres a reason most people use atleast a dual rec. It's not for volume either. They really do sound different. It's so much thicker than the single. But I'm still a fan of the single too.
Quote by hcsn2008
Well really it's not. Theres a reason most people use atleast a dual rec. It's not for volume either. They really do sound different. It's so much thicker than the single. But I'm still a fan of the single too.

i have the dual atm and i really hate the way it sounds. i'm really consider selling it and downsize to a single or maybe get another model altogether maybe something like a nomad or stilleto series
Quote by hcsn2008
most bands I listen to use a triple rectifier. I ended up buying the triple because I liked the power and headroom it has. Some people will say you don't need 150 watts but it's not really about that. The dual rec is just as loud as the triple rec pretty much. The triple rec has a bit more low end and sounds more powerful. It also does better with low tunings. But a single rec is fine also.

Honestly if you are getting it for your bedroom get the single rec. If you are getting it for a band situation get a dual or triple.

Devin Townsend tunes to a low G on the records he has used the Dual Recto. Thats pretty low...
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
Devin Townsend tunes to a low G on the records he has used the Dual Recto. Thats pretty low...

And? When did I say it wouldn't work? i didn't. I just said the triple seemed to handle downtuning better. Don't over exaggerate it.
Quote by acdclandon

It obviously wasn't turned up.
Quote by kckyle
i have the dual atm and i really hate the way it sounds. i'm really consider selling it and downsize to a single or maybe get another model altogether maybe something like a nomad or stilleto series

I'll trade my single for your dual, lmao.
Quote by hcsn2008
I like the JSX at low volume but the JSX won't hold together as good at high volume and doesn't have the drive of the 6505.
Wrong about the JSX.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION