And I only just found out about it now.

What happened was that my friend, his brother and his father went to a small fishing/hunting lodge up north on Thursday, and were supposed to stay there until Monday. They went to bed at about 10:30pm last night, just after checking the fire in the woodstove, because it was about -25°C outside and they needed to keep the cabin warm.

At around 12:30am, his dad woke to a peculiar smell. He stood up, and walked over to my friend's bed, waking him. He asked him if he smelled anything, and my friend said he smelled smoke. So his father opened the bedroom door to investigate, and when he did, he saw that the whole porch was on fire. He yelled out "Fire!" to my friend, who was only in his t-shirt and underwear, and got him to pick up his little brother and take him outside. My friend and his brother went out the back door, and his father went out the front. They managed to start two snowmobiles, and still only in pajamas, drive across the lake to another lodge. Because they used exits at opposite ends of the building, it created a draft and fed the fire very quickly. Just as they drove off and got to a safe distance, they could hear things like the propane tanks used for the oven, the furnace and several pounds of ammunition exploding behind them, and seconds later, the lodge collapsed.

He was taken to hospital with his family, and so far they've found 2nd degree burns on his dad's arm, and 3rd degree burns on his neck. Because my friend gave his pajama pants and slippers to his younger brother to keep him warm, during the drive on snowmobile my friend's feet froze to the runnerboards of the snowmobile, and he ended up getting really bad frostbite. They almost had to amputate one of his feet, but they treated it just in time so there will only be minimal permanent damage.

He's still in shock, from what my mom can tell, because he's like family to us and called our house almost immediately after it happened. I was thinking about what I would've done if he had actually died, because it was only last summer when I had to attend a funeral for another friend who died when his house caught fire (as explained in one of my blogs), and I didn't really know if I could do that again. I just wanted to share this with The Pit, and see if they have any similar stories.

TL;DR - My friend's cabin caught fire, which was full of explosive canisters and ammunition, and he only narrowly escaped with his brother and his father.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Mar 7, 2009,
k koo'.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
That sucks.
We fear violence less than our own feelings. Personal, private, solitary pain is more terrifying than what anyone else can inflict.
Jim Morrison
could people just tell me what kind of answers they expect while posting something like this ? why are threads like this created ?
Quote by jonnyrotten45
of course, we start talking about pizza, and end talking about putting our dicks in various objects, god bless the pit

Quote by lee 31392
I fapped over Louis Walsh.

Metal sucks
My best to all of you, I hope he recovers well. They're all lucky they made it out alive.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
like alright stan... k koo okay stan.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
I'm sorry to hear that.

I hope everything turns out fine.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by B.do
could people just tell me what kind of answers they expect while posting something like this ? why are threads like this created ?

Just to get it off his chest, and try and asses what actually happened.

Im sure hes not just trying to get sympathy.

Best wishes though, sounds like it could be a lotttt worse.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
wow that's pretty lucky
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
One time I went snowmobiling and it was -20 out and there was still some fast moving water that hadn't froze yet and i hit it on my snowmobile and when the water splashed up it froze instanously to my helmet coat and visor. Just an idea of how cold that is.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by blackflag49
Joe Biden's wife is a total cougar.

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!

XBL Gamer Tag:

Arch Enemy65
Quote by B.do

Because he wanted to share his friend's story with as many people as possible. Wow that answer was easy to come by, maybe if you learned to think you wouldn't have to type up stupid post.

Yes i am in a pissy mood, and yes i am immature enough to take it out on random people on the internet who probably won't even read it.
They're alwyas in the last place you look, you know?

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
Sorry to hear that, bro.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quick, write a script and send it to hollywood and have it made into an epic movie before some else does!

But in all seriousness, that sucks, glad they're ok
Fires suck. My friend Skittles died in a fire in December. He was having a party at his house and he got pissed at this one kid so he kicked everybody out at 11:30. His couch was sitting too close to a heater and he went to bed upstairs and it caught on fire. One of his friends supposedly saw the house on fire and he told everyone that he called the fire department around that time but they didn't get a call until 1:30 when the house was mostly burned down. A couple guys had videos on their phones of the house burning when the fire was mostly in the living room, which is pretty messed up because they knew there was someone in there but they didn't do anything.
Peepee on yo tittays
why the hell was there ammunition in their house?
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by B.do

shut up,you are jealous becuase you have 0 friends in real life
Quote by JC13
Hard to go hunting without it...

thank you for replying to him, or else i would have, and im already on a warning
Below freezing, cabin full of gas tanks and live ammunition, and it caught fire?

Forgive me for seeming disrespectful, but thats just bloody careless.
i'm sorry but i swear when i clicked on this i thought it said "today i alsmost beat my best friend". needless to day i was dissapointed.

in other news i'm glad to here he's ok
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick
I keep lookin behind me,You're amazing at this

Quote by Aerokizzombie
Dam,Cent, ur repeating man scares the shit out of me, its so true

Quote by CodChick
Omg Cent,Ive been havin nightmares because of u

Quote by MCMXCII
**** you man,I was just going to bed

I'm scary