Page 1 of 2
I want to make a killswitch pedal but don't want it to be too boring looking on my pedal board...

so how could i hook a LED into the circuit that would light up when the momentary switch is pressed?

Sorry about the noobishness of this post, i'm really bad when it comes to electronics and this is the first pedal "build" i've attempted...
When it killswitches, direct the current from the switch to the led. You would need to cut out a hole in the pedal though.

If the killswitch is designed how I think it is, do this.

--In-----o-----Out
--In-----i-----LED-GROUND
Power/

o = switch not in use
i = switch pushed down (effectively killing the signal)

Power = Current going in, attach it to the 'on' 'in' lead of the switch. when the switch is pushed down, it forms a current from Power - switch - led - ground. Giving you the LED.

...If Im not mistake.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
Last edited by KiraIBZ at Mar 7, 2009,
I figured the Schematic would go like

(switch)
In------------- ------------- ----------------Out
switch is pressed, making it go down, completeing the next circuit.
In-------------               ----------------Ground

So all you would need to do is.

(switch)
In------------- ------------- ----------------Out

In-------------               ------LED-----Ground
Power _| <attach power to the IN 

Or you dont even need to use power, you can make the guitars pickups generate the power to light the LED (If possible)
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Or you dont even need to use power, you can make the guitars pickups generate the power to light the LED (If possible)

thats immpossible go read an electronics book as punishment
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
thats immpossible go read an electronics book as punishment

T_T
I only figured that cause Pickups generate electricity... small amounts but still electricity, kind of like a mini generator. (Stop me if my thought was wrong o.O)

Anyways, thats a paint schematic (with diagonal lines for fun) of what Im talking about. Is it possible?
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
you need power for the led, and like i said i dont think i've ever seen a 3 pole momentary switch. it's a killswitch though so an led really serves no purpose whatsoever.
Quote by KiraIBZ
T_T
I only figured that cause Pickups generate electricity... small amounts but still electricity, kind of like a mini generator. (Stop me if my thought was wrong o.O)

Anyways, thats a paint schematic (with diagonal lines for fun) of what Im talking about. Is it possible?

Thanks for being so helpful everyone! But now how do i hook up the power source?

Quote by noisefarmer
you need power for the led, and like i said i dont think i've ever seen a 3 pole momentary switch. it's a killswitch though so an led really serves no purpose whatsoever.

He said he wants to make one. And we dealt with push switches in school, so he can use that.

Try that. Make sure the guitars pickups dont output more power than the LED can take. Dont put the KS in the effects loop, just put it right before the guitar itself.

Note: The LED MAY not be too bright when using the idea I gave you, but inless you wanna deal with control relays and such, this is the easiest way. Factor in the power of EMGs, just in case you decide to get one later, you dont want to destroy it.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Quote by KiraIBZ
He said he wants to make one. And we dealt with push switches in school, so he can use that.

Try that. Make sure the guitars pickups dont output more power than the LED can take. Dont put the KS in the effects loop, just put it right before the guitar itself.

Note: The LED MAY not be too bright when using the idea I gave you, but inless you wanna deal with control relays and such, this is the easiest way. Factor in the power of EMGs, just in case you decide to get one later, you dont want to destroy it.

So no power source now?
Quote by KiraIBZ

i dont think that would work at all. there is just something inherently wrong with it.

and i dont think a guitar can power an led. batteries can, guitars not so much.
Quote by Schism1985

So no power source now?

Based on my knowledge, you wouldnt need one, one guy up there said I was wrong, so I dont know if it would work or not. But based on what I know, I see no reason why it shouldnt... Worst case scenerio, the light isnt too bright.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528529&highlight=killswitch

Check that thread out ^
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Quote by noisefarmer
i dont think that would work at all. there is just something inherently wrong with it.

and i dont think a guitar can power an led. batteries can, guitars not so much.

Elaborate, or Ill be lead to believe your just trying to be difficult because this thread MAY have been done in a past. (Like the last thread you bombarded...)
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
you do need power. the reason one needs an AMP with an electric guitar is because the pickups generate almost zero power.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by KiraIBZ
Elaborate, or Ill be lead to believe your just trying to be difficult because this thread MAY have been done in a past. (Like the last thread you bombarded...)

if guitars could light up an led without a battery there'd be an ultimate led thread around here.
thats a terrible comeback. u could have just quoted me, tbh, but in any case, ur right. unless u have active pickups, in which case, it will, cause then u have 9v driving it.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
K, thank you for explaining that instead of 'its inherantly wrong'.

Would that work then?

*Coil activates contacts*

Or is there a more conventional way of doing things?
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
im not sure, hang on, let me draw what i would do in paint...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
sorry for double post, but

that should work. oh and the wire from the battery should not be attached to the switch, that was my mistake, put it slightly before.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
...But is a pickup AC or DC? I was under the impression it was AC. and from what I know, you cant mix AC and DC.
Also, wouldnt the LED Stay on? And I was reading a while ago that the guitar signal on killswitches, it must be grounded when 'killed'.

That said, shoot Invader Jim a comment about his:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Invader+Jim/pictures/gear/175711/
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
pups are dc, either that or im going nuts, cause all my pedals are dc, all amps are converted to dc, etc.

EDIT: Jim's doesnt have an LED though? hmm...idk. ill ask him if he comes back on later
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Last edited by AngusJimiKeith at Mar 7, 2009,
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
pups are dc, either that or im going nuts, cause all my pedals are dc, all amps are converted to dc, etc.

EDIT: Jim's doesnt have an LED though? hmm...idk. ill ask him if he comes back on later

But how exactly do your pedals work? Dont they do something to change the type of power somewhere down the line? Im not exactly too sure now... o.O

...I may be setting myself up for fail... MAY...
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
^u are. they work dc all the way through, and if u use power adapters, or in most amps (some are battery powered to begin with) there are transformers to convert from ac to dc.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Power from the wall is AC. There is a transformer in the amp that coverts it to DC. All of the current running through the pickups in the guitar, the amp, and your pedals is direct. Most pedals, like Angus Jimi said, have an 9V/12V AC adapter that supplies power when it's plugged in (or a 9V battery). One exception would be something like an ElectroHarmonix English Muff'n (and a number of their other pedals) that has an internal transformer.

You will need a battery to light up the LED. You will have to use a DPDT switch to switch between two completely different circuits like that. I don't know of a momentary DPDT switch.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Last edited by GravyFish at Mar 7, 2009,
...Are you sure? o.O

http://www.lollarguitars.com/guitar-pickups-faq.shtml
'Guitar pickups generate an alternating current meaning the signal goes from positive to negative in a wave form. The current will be either positive or negative at the beginning of the signal depending on if the magnet in the pickup is north or south up and if the coil is wound clockwise or counter clockwise. It's not really the winding direction, it's the direction of the wire between the hot lead and the ground...'

http://www.ehow.com/how_2215728_use-humbucker-pickups-jazz-guitar.html
'Study the function of a single coil pickup. It is basically just a permanent magnet with a few thousand turns of copper wire around it. When a string vibrates through this electromagnetic field, an alternating voltage is produced and sent to the amp.'

This kind of works with how I originally thought the pickup would work too...
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
AHHHHHHHHH.... So much wrong info.

Pick ups produce AC.
Wall voltage is AC.
Transformers convert High V AC into Higher or Lower V AC.
Rectifiers transform AC into DC.

The reason DC is used is to reduce the 60Hz hum in the circuit. DC is also easier to work with.

I will work up a schematic, because none of the ones I have seen in here look like they will work. I will edit in a second.
WOOO! I WAS RIGHT! YAY! !
But what about my latest schematic? What is the design flaw?
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Quote by KiraIBZ
WOOO! I WAS RIGHT! YAY! !
But what about my latest schematic? What is the design flaw?

I dont know. It looked a little messy and was hard to follow. I would set it up like this though. You would need a DPDT switch though, and a 9v battery. Battery life will be ages for this so I wouldn't worry about it.

Basically how it works, in one position, the guitar signal is sent to the output jack like normal. In the other it it grounded and the LED circuit is completed.
guitar pickups work by the same basic idea behind an alternator - mechanical energy being transferred to electrical energy via magnets. the amount of electrical energy created through is so small that i dont think there is anything that has ever existed capable of running off of it.

and yet again this seems like more trouble than it's worth by over complicating what is essential a very simple circuit with something thats not even practical. if it was a pedal that would stay on thats one thing but an led for a killswitch? it's preposterous. then again a lot of things are preposterous but people do it anyway.

anyway, first find the right momentary switch (good luck) then wire it up exactly like a true bypass with led (searchbar/google) except send whatever lead that goes to the circuit straight to ground. box it up and you have your (excuse the long title) "killswitch pedal with led that turns on when you step on the button just in case you needed a visual reminder that there is no signal coming thru since you might not notice how you dont hear any guitar or that you just stepped on something"
Quote by PainIsPower
I dont know. It looked a little messy and was hard to follow. I would set it up like this though. You would need a DPDT switch though, and a 9v battery. Battery life will be ages for this so I wouldn't worry about it.

Basically how it works, in one position, the guitar signal is sent to the output jack like normal. In the other it it grounded and the LED circuit is completed.

...what?

And you thought mine was complicated XD
Can you explain those red dots and where the things go when you press down/let off the switch?
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Quote by noisefarmer
guitar pickups work by the same basic idea behind an alternator - mechanical energy being transferred to electrical energy via magnets. the amount of electrical energy created through is so small that i dont think there is anything that has ever existed capable of running off of it.

and yet again this seems like more trouble than it's worth by over complicating what is essential a very simple circuit with something thats not even practical. if it was a pedal that would stay on thats one thing but an led for a killswitch? it's preposterous. then again a lot of things are preposterous but people do it anyway.

anyway, first find the right momentary switch (good luck) then wire it up exactly like a true bypass with led (searchbar/google) except send whatever lead that goes to the circuit straight to ground. box it up and you have your (excuse the long title) "killswitch pedal with led that turns on when you step on the button just in case you needed a visual reminder that there is no signal coming thru since you might not notice how you dont hear any guitar or that you just stepped on something"

I like this guy.
Quote by noisefarmer

"I want to make a killswitch pedal but don't want it to be too boring looking on my pedal board..."

Wants it to give it something extra. Not to be boring.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Quote by KiraIBZ
"I want to make a killswitch pedal but don't want it to be too boring looking on my pedal board..."

Wants it to give it something extra. Not to be boring.

i dont see how an led would suddenly add excitement to a pedal that, yet again, is an extremely simple circuit and would be overcomplicated with an led. a paintjob would give it more of a "something extra" than an led. regardless if TS follows what i said in my last post and somehow manages to find a 3pdt momentary switch (i dont doubt they exist, i also dont doubt they may be pricey) he'll be able to build this and it will function as desired and bring a wave of excitement to what must be a very dull pedal board.

yes i drip sarcasm.
Quote by noisefarmer
i dont see how an led would suddenly add excitement to a pedal that, yet again, is an extremely simple circuit and would be overcomplicated with an led. a paintjob would give it more of a "something extra" than an led. regardless if TS follows what i said in my last post and somehow manages to find a 3pdt momentary switch (i dont doubt they exist, i also dont doubt they may be pricey) he'll be able to build this and it will function as desired and bring a wave of excitement to what must be a very dull pedal board.

yes i drip sarcasm.

It is doable with a DPDT switch. Just need to find a momentary one. Head over to the link in my sig though, and you'll see my momentary light switch. Like the ones you have on the wall. Anything is possible. This would just be alot of work for nothing really. Drilling a switch into the guitar would be easier, or even converting a knob into a push pull, or sacrifising the tone knob, because who uses those really? I'm not a fan of the KS.
http://www.dimarzio.com/site/pickups/#/pickups/

in my defense, note "dc resistance" spec.
if pups are dc, then how are all my pedals and my amp run on dc?? someone answer this, cause mixing ac and dc=really bad. so wtf???
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by PainIsPower
It is doable with a DPDT switch. Just need to find a momentary one. Head over to the link in my sig though, and you'll see my momentary light switch. Like the ones you have on the wall. Anything is possible. This would just be alot of work for nothing really. Drilling a switch into the guitar would be easier, or even converting a knob into a push pull, or sacrifising the tone knob, because who uses those really? I'm not a fan of the KS.

but... but... but... if you use a dpdt it wont be true bypass!
Quote by KiraIBZ
...what?

And you thought mine was complicated XD
Can you explain those red dots and where the things go when you press down/let off the switch?

Ok, those red dots are the terminals on a DPDT ON/ON switch.
when the switch is in one position, the top middle dot, is connected to the top left dot. At the same time, the bottom middle dot is connected to the bottom left dot. When switch is switched, the top middle dot is connected to the top right dot, and the bottom middle dot is connected to the bottom right dot.

When the switch is in the first position, everything to the left in this case, the guitar signal goes out to the jack like normal. The connection from the battery connects to nothing, creating an open circuit, keeping the LED off.

When the switch is in the second position, everything connected to the right. The guitar signal is grounded, no sound. And the battery connection in the LED circuit is now sent to the circuit closing the circuit supplying the LED with power. The resistor in there keeps the voltage down so you don't fry the LED.
Page 1 of 2