I think its just to makes your amps volume knob a little less touchy.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

It doesnt make you knob less touchy
it does what its called attenuate.

It just acts like a volume knob outside your amp so you can turn up your amp
and get it to distort but then have another volume control after the distortion so you dont damage your ears.
So would putting a volume pedal in the effects loop do the same thing? If not, I'd like to try and build one of these little guys.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
no. a volume pedal in the loop will cause u to lose the distortion to be gained by cranking the amp...same concept as the vol knob on a guitar, just after the preamp...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
This will allow you to drive your preamp harder, but you will not get good drive out of your poweramp. I actually think that a volume pedal would be the same thing in this case. Its basically a master volume that goes after the preamp.
Well I better go test this out!
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
If youre looking for the tone of cranked power tubes the 20$ volume box wont do it. If your amp has a gain and volume knob turning the amps volume knob down will have the same effect as turning this volume knob down. Your just cutting the signal going to the power amp. If you want to cranked tube amp tone the only way to do it is crank the amp then reduce the signal going to the speakers. Way to do that is with 1 of those not so cheap attenuators.
Even if I have the volume knob cranked?
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
Yearsh.

If you want the sound of your amp dimed, you need a real attenuator.

Weber Mini-Mass it up.
Well, since my soldering iron is hot already, I'll build this for the hell of it.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
It's nothing special, serves the same purpose as a Master Volume.

That $20 is a ripoff. Unless you have a non master volume tube amp with HAS an FX loop (unlikely), then it'll effectively add a MV. Otherwise, forget it.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by DLrocket89
It's nothing special, serves the same purpose as a Master Volume.

That $20 is a ripoff. Unless you have a non master volume tube amp with HAS an FX loop (unlikely), then it'll effectively add a MV. Otherwise, forget it.

mine doesnt. nor does the hot rod deluxe.
The volume knob goes in the effects loop and lowers the volume going to the power tubes. It is not an attenuator. An attenuator goes between the amp and the speakers and uses resistors to reduce the power going to the speakers. On a hot rod, a volume knob is nice (I use one) because the built-in volume knob is so damn touchy.

You can build one for under $10 but, if you don't solder or have the time, $20 is not that bad.
A good set of instructions can be found here.
Quote by RHCPFitz
mine doesnt. nor does the hot rod deluxe.

sounds good then!
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Well I built it last night but i must not have got it right. The signal went through but the pot did nothing.

MT in Austin: I'll check those plans out and maybe it'll work.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
Quote by MT in Austin
On a hot rod, a volume knob is nice (I use one) because the built-in volume knob is so damn touchy.

If I remember correctly, the Hot Rod is so touchy because they use a linear volume pot instead of an audio pot for what ever reason. Basically they messed up. Simply replacing that pot with an audio one should fix your problem and then you wont need a volume pedal