Music theory AP class. It's only for Juniors and Seniors but I managed to convince the teacher to let me in next year as a sophmore. I already know the basics, and a bit about scales and modes, but I don't want to show up knowing less than the other kids. What's some stuff that would probably be good to know before I start?
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Im sure it starts pretty basic, you should be fine. I doubt they are going to start doing anything advanced or very difficult in highschool music theory, not right away anyway. Even a Theory I class in college is pretty easy.

edit: Actually a bit of advice. I knew about as much as you did when I started theory in college, and most of it wasnt even spoken of until later on. Except for major and minor scale construction. Learn to read sheet music, and learn key signatures.
Last edited by blueriver at Mar 7, 2009,
Oh, I alright got sheet music for 2 clefts/instruments and key signatures pretty well, so I should be fine in that category.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

Yeah you should be fine then. Im guessing since there isnt really much of a pre req for highschool music theory, they are going to start with that before getting into chords and chord progressions, scales, etc.
holy ****, are you me in disguise? every word in that post is something i would say right now. i convinced my school's music theory teacher to let me in as a 10th grader yesterday, and we have pretty much the same level of knowledge.

except my teacher is going to give me a book to read over summer and a pretest the first day of school to make sure i can "handle it"
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Last edited by itchy guitar at Mar 7, 2009,
Well, we have different colored hair so I guess not

That'd be nice though. At least I don't need a pretest, I was just like "well, I want to go into a career in music and hopefully go to Berklee after high school" then she just signed my form.

What's all in the booklet?
Quote by Zinnie

You need to be able to read music written in both treble and bass clef at a pretty high level. You need to know all the keys and how to find relative major and minor keys. Knowing intervals helps, and knowing the diatonic triads of the major scale at least. Also know how to count rhythms in different time signatures, and how different time signatures work. If you know all of this stuff, the whole class will be so much easier as being it's an AP course, this material probably won't be taught and it is required for things like advanced harmonic analysis.
12 fret fury