I just bought a 1985 Marshall JCM 800, and, like the other tube amp I bought recently, it has a few problems. While it plays perfectly, the volume changes drastically as I play it. This affects the tone of the amp. When I bought it, the reverb wires ( red and black ) were plugged into nothing. Nothing! In 24 years, noone even broke the clear plastic thing that was wrapped around it.

So, what is affecting the volume? Does it need more tubes? Also, one of the plugs that connects the head to the cabinet is slightly side ways, but hopefully that doesn't matter much.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Does anyone know anything about this godly amp?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Sounds like a power tube going bad on the volume thing. Can you post a pic of the sideways jack thing?
It does sound like a power tube gone bad. I'd say buy some new ones and swap them to see if that fixes it. If that doesnt do it youll still have an extra set of tubes fro when they do go bad.

Also have you tried playing with the Master Volume pot. I have a jcm800 from about the same year. I had the same problem as you but it turned out to be that the master volume pot was scratchy in a certain area and when I placed the volume in that area the volume would kinda cut down sometimes. Twist the pot, if its scratchy, clean it. See if that helps.
Quote by Pencil Man
I just bought a 1985 Marshall JCM 800. When I bought it, the reverb wires ( red and black ) were plugged into nothing. Nothing!

Is that a problem?? I also have my reverb wires unplugged... ¿this can lead to some kind of damage??
I getting new tubes later. I'll post pics.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I think I'll just send it to a pro. I might put up pics this week.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

my brother had the same problem, except it turned out it was his guitar, if you have 2 guitars see if it does it on both, if its still the amp, sounds like pot or possible bad wire connection
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
Its still the amp.
Quote by SlackerBabbath