With The Price increase of the Fender Strats, about 600 for a Sunburst strat, is that worth 600 dollars?? IS it better than buying an Epiphone?? I wanna play a mix of rock and Eric Clapton stuff..
if you're playing clapton you need tone, not balls. definitely go with a nice fender strat
Quote by Spoony_Bard
I hate that...actually I just hate anyone under the age of 16

Quote by RockGuitar92
Just get it cut a little. It will grow back. Besides why is it so important to look metal? That's just retarded.

Gear in profile
For your styles, a strat should work. You should look at HSS strats especially - they are not much more expensive than SSS strats but the mixture of humbuckers and single coils makes them very versatile. There are hardly any styles those guitars can't do. For Clapton, a Strat works best, usually.

Comparing an Epi Standard to a MIM Fender, I'd have to say that the Fender is better value. One thing is that Epiphones vary in quality a lot. Fenders do that, too, but Epi quality varies to a larger extent, at least from my experience. Imo, Epiphones have gone downhill ever since the production was moved from Korea to China. Most Epiphones nowadays are pretty... well, average. The pickups especially are a weak point, some of the worst I have ever played. A new set of pups would cost you an extra 150$ at the very least, take that into account.
Now while the stock pickups on MIM Fenders usually aren't fantastic, they are at least usable. If you want a Fender with good pups (which might save you some money you'd otherwise spend on upgrading in the long run), consider a Lonestar or a Lite Ash:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Lonestar-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=515526

I can't find a Lite Ash Strat on MF now, but it's a SSS strat with seymour duncan pups, made of ash with a maple neck and fretboard. They are between 600$ and 700$ at the moment.
If those are too expensive, a Standard Stratocaster would most likely suffice. You can get them between 550 and 600. Whether a SSS or HSS is better for your needs you'll have to find out yourself. Just try out some guitars and see.
Even though the prices are higher now, I think they are still better value than Epis (not taking into account personal preference and all that jazz).

Say, what amp are you using?
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 7, 2009,
STOP POSTING THE SAME THING. This is the second topic and the third time I've seen this exact thing.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
^From the same guy?

EDIT: Just checked. TS, why the same thread twice? If the mods see it, you'll just get warned for spam.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 7, 2009,
Fender HSS Strat all the way if you want versitality.

Just go to your music store and mess around with a bunch of MIM Strats until you find one that special.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by TheQuailman
^From the same guy?