I've never heard about this, but hypothetically, if you glued your bolt on neck into the pocket, then before the glue dries, you drill it in, would that increase your sustain at all? I figure yes because the neck and body are actually joined together like a set in neck, which is pretty much what it is, right?
A bolt on guitar with a tight neck pocket, and a neck screws that are tight be give the same results as a set neck.

No, you are not onto anything magical here. If you were, every one would be doing it, and all the guitars bought in the stores would have glued in bolt on necks.

Edit.
Just tighten the screws and you are good to go. Some times if you do them all, wiggle the neck a bit, then loosen and tighten them again individually you can get it tighter. As long as the neck isn't floppy you wont notice any difference. I've seen bolt-ons sustain longer then set necks. So there really is no magic.
Last edited by PainIsPower at Mar 7, 2009,
Quote by PainIsPower
A bolt on guitar with a tight neck pocket, and a neck screws that are tight be give the same results as a set neck.

No, you are not onto anything magical here. If you were, every one would be doing it, and all the guitars bought in the stores would have glued in bolt on necks.

Edit.
Just tighten the screws and you are good to go. Some times if you do them all, wiggle the neck a bit, then loosen and tighten them again individually you can get it tighter. As long as the neck isn't floppy you wont notice any difference. I've seen bolt-ons sustain longer then set necks. So there really is no magic.

I knew I wasn't onto anything magical, I guess there's a reason there are set necks and bolt ons, thanks for the advice on the neck wiggling though.