Hi, I started to learn the major scale yesterday, but my question is what key should I learn my scales in? whats the most important key if that even exists.
Quote by rich_sg
I've been here nearly 4 years now. I get no respect.

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
The best key to learn it in is in C, because there is no sharps or flats. However, once you know it in that key, you can apply the concept of the major scale in other keys.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Every key, all over the fretboard, and the theory behind it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
what is the theory behind it? where can i learn this info?
Quote by rich_sg

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
Quote by Rooskiy
what is the theory behind it? where can i learn this info?

I strongly suggest picking up a good textbook on harmony, but the crusade articles in the columns section will introduce you to the basics.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Mar 7, 2009,
sweet^^^ got any suggestions as to a specific book?
Quote by rich_sg

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
Quote by Rooskiy
sweet^^^ got any suggestions as to a specific book?

I'm a fan of Piston's Harmony, but any introductory harmony textbook (perhaps from a local University library, if there's one nearby) will do just fine.
Start with the C major scale, and go from there. Definitely E, A, D, G, B, due to you being a guitar player and all :P.