So, I was playing a little today, and (as I noted in a previous thread) my Strat needs new strings.

The main thing about my guitar is that it is in need of a good cleaning; it had been sitting awhile (but it is a 10 year old guitar now).

So, before I go and do something stupid, I figured I'd go here first.

I found this video on how to remove my guitar's strings:
http://www.expertvillage.com/video/46277_fender-stratocaster-remove-strings.htm

But I'm also thinking that while I have the strings off, I might as well remove the pick guard and take care of any dust that may have accumulated down there (the pickups were pretty dusty).

I guess that in my opinion, this is a good reason to give my guitar a thorough inspection.

What should I be careful of/what should I inspect?

Thanks!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
be careful nut to damage any wires and make sure all the connections look ok(well soldered)
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
that and oil all your metal parts with somekind of wd-40 kind of stuff. polish all your fret wires, oil your fretboard, if you remove it make sure you label what it is somehow so that you know where you got it from, oil tuner pegs as well, polish guitar body.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Quote by heretic-clown
that and oil all your metal parts with somekind of wd-40 kind of stuff. polish all your fret wires, oil your fretboard, if you remove it make sure you label what it is somehow so that you know where you got it from, oil tuner pegs as well, polish guitar body.

Like the equivalent of detailing a car...
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
^^ yup
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell