Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Both are good, but the Japanese ones are better.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Regardless of MIM, MIJ, MIA, MIK, you still need to find one that's in good condition.

My 1999 MIM was really taken care of, and it looks and sounds great.

Also, keep in mind that MIJ models are typically more expensive than MIM's.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by yellowsnow4free
Regardless of MIM, MIJ, MIA, MIK, you still need to find one that's in good condition.

Quote by Ninja Penguin77
Japanese are better then MIM but not quite as good as American

Actually, MIJ are better than MIM and MIA. But I guess that's just my personal opinion. Anyway, a MIM is also a quality instrument.
Beau, oui, comme Bowie
Last edited by TaV0 at Mar 7, 2009,
Quote by Mayonaise 812
made in japan are so much better then all ofthe mexican ones ive played.

You know, as much as that is true, or 'might' be true, I'll counter it. I've played loads of both Japanese and Mexicans and I'll tell you this... some are good, some are bad. Some are woefull, some are awesome. The difference being that you absolutely, under any circumstances, must, absolute must, play as many as you can before you decide.
Quote by Free
You know, as much as that is true, or 'might' be true, I'll counter it. I've played loads of both Japanese and Mexicans and I'll tell you this... some are good, some are bad. Some are woefull, some are awesome. The difference being that you absolutely, under any circumstances, must, absolute must, play as many as you can before you decide.

Good advice.

"Try before you buy" shouldn't just be an option,it should be mandatory.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by gregs1020
The one that plays better.

that pretty much saids it all.
to be honest i find mia are all hyped, played couple mia strats and can't really say the mia is better then some of the mim i played, other then the extra fret and a nicer finish it has the same playbility as mim. of course there are lemons in the bunch,
I've never gotten a chance to play a MIJ Strat, but I've had the opportunity to play a lot of MIA and MIM ones. I've never played a MIA that wasn't quality, but I'm sure some exist - and I've played a bunch of MIMs some of which sucked and some of which kicked ass (like mine ) so it's hard to say.

Definitely give both a try if you're considering getting one. You never know, the cheaper one might play the best for you.
AWESOME MUSIC
Always try out first, but try out with a bias towards the Japanese one.

(P.S. taking me seriously may result in severe disappointment and/or a combination of: depression, suicide, and bed-wetting (not necessarily in that order).
I'm the only one who puts the order at 1. MIA, 2. MIM, 3. everything else, don't bother?
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by millerdrr
I'm the only one who puts the order at 1. MIA, 2. MIM, 3. everything else, don't bother?

Apparently, you've either never tried a Japanese Fender, or tried a fake cardboard guitar that was being passed off as a Japanese Fender, or are just racist and have tried one but would never admit it feels and sounds good (better than Mexicans, at the very least. In my opinion, exlusively Japanese models - the Jaguar Special, Jagmaster Vista, Wayne World Strat - are much better than several American Fenders).
Quote by toyboxmonster
Apparently, you've either never tried a Japanese Fender, or tried a fake cardboard guitar that was being passed off as a Japanese Fender, or are just racist and have tried one but would never admit it feels and sounds good (better than Mexicans, at the very least. In my opinion, exlusively Japanese models - the Jaguar Special, Jagmaster Vista, Wayne World Strat - are much better than several American Fenders).

MIA =/= the best. It varies from guitar to guitar, but alot of MIJ guitars are on par with or better than MIA, not just Fenders.
Quote by toyboxmonster
or are just racist and have tried one but would never admit it feels and sounds good

What?!

It's about resell value to me. If a guy sells me a guitar, and will immediately buy it back for 80%, I feel much better about it than if the best offer is 25%. Never seen it happen like that with anything other than Fender MIA, Fender MIM, and Gibson LPs, and I travel across the US coast to coast in my job, and trade probably 50-70 guitars per year. I'll buy overseas, but I won't pay any more than a pawn shop would. Been reamed too many times to fall for the latest fad.

I can honestly say I have never heard brand preferences of consumer products linked to racism.

To each his own, I guess...

Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

To me, I'd put them in this order:

MiA
MiJ
MiK
MiM

The Japanese and American are almost the same in my mind, but you get better electronics usually with the American made Fenders.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Pac_man0123
That's probably the most retarded concept i've ever seen about guitars.

Not according to ebay, music stores, and pawn shops around the world.

Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

I Picked up my '86 MIJ strat yesterday, its amazing. theres no end to the amazingness.
Never actually played a MIM though.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Quote by yellowsnow4free

this.

don't judge a guitar based on where it's made, what brand/model it is, the year it was made, specs etc. Judge a guitar based on how that individual instrument plays and sounds. There's little to no truth in saying "MIA is the best, then MIJ then MIM" or anything like that, because even though the pricing and the general standard at which they are built and the quality is checked over, there are some MIMs which will be better instruments than a lot of MIAs, for example.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by millerdrr

Yes, and we pick the guitar, that is the best for ebay, music stores, and pawn shops around the world.
I haven't seen such an idiotic statement in my entire life.
I`ve a mim strat and i like it , also i was told by one store owner the some of the american strats are assembled in mexico and transfered over the border and stamped as made in america ,cheaper labour more mark up that couldn`t happen could it?
yes all six strings buzz !! but it`s unique isn`t it
Quote by Kurapica

but you get better electronics usually with the American made Fenders.

tell that to the bad pot in my gibson
Quote by millerdrr

actually he has a point there. mia fenders retain their value quite well in the used market, but that is probably psychologically driven by the fact that brand new even the standard model cost over a grand, but of course i do see some mij well maintaining their price on the same level as a mia on ebay.
Quote by millerdrr
What?!

It's about resell value to me. If a guy sells me a guitar, and will immediately buy it back for 80%, I feel much better about it than if the best offer is 25%. Never seen it happen like that with anything other than Fender MIA, Fender MIM, and Gibson LPs, and I travel across the US coast to coast in my job, and trade probably 50-70 guitars per year. I'll buy overseas, but I won't pay any more than a pawn shop would. Been reamed too many times to fall for the latest fad.

I can honestly say I have never heard brand preferences of consumer products linked to racism.

To each his own, I guess...

Dude, nobody cares about your damn re-sell value! When some body asks you which guitar is better out of two guitars they generally mean which guitar plays better/sounds better.

And obviously the guy meant biased, not racist, wrong wording but any person with common-sense could get his meaning...
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by kckyle
actually he has a point there. mia fenders retain their value quite well in the used market, but that is probably psychologically driven by the fact that brand new even the standard model cost over a grand, but of course i do see some mij well maintaining their price on the same level as a mia on ebay.

No, he would have point if the thread were: "Which Guitar is worth more/will retain value better". Sadly for some, it is not.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
My uncle has a MIM strat
it was poorly setup
had a huge action
very poor tuning stability
it even felt like the neck was loose

moral of the story is: my uncle is a faggot
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
japanese

Quote by millerdrr

no, because if you ask me the japanese ones are the best, certainly in a "bang for buck" sense. the americans can be nice, but are nowhere near nice enough for the money.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 8, 2009,
Thing is with MIJ instruments is that the ones made during the 80s are quite rare since the companies had to halt production due to lawsuits by American companies who saw them as a threat.
I'd say that MIJ instruments are better since they're rather cheap and they have a high resale value because of how rare they are
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.
Quote by gregs1020
The one that plays better.

OMG where did this guy come from?

This man has just whipped all of u!
Quote by millerdrr

If by ebay, music stores, and pawn shops you mean people named Ed Roman, then yes you are correct. I have one MIA guitar. I play it the least out of the 3.
You guys are sensitive! I only hope as you reach adulthood you come to understand the true concept of product evaluation and how it relates to the overall price. You kid yourself if you believe value is something that can be measured by anything other than opinions of a majority. That would be the concept of "auction". Of course, many players go their entire lives and never sell an instrument, nor do they care if money is lost in the transaction. You'll likely get away with youthful naivete on low-cost items like musical instruments, but I would advise you flush your minds of such lines of thinking before you start purchasing homes, cars and real estate.

Try this: which is better, vast tracks of cheap land in the desert, or a tiny lot on a major beachfront? "Better" is subjective, and a matter of opinion. "Value" is not. The very fact that so many of you don't understand that is how I made down payments on my last two vehicles.

[qoute="ruffdog64"]I`ve a mim strat and i like it , also i was told by one store owner the some of the american strats are assembled in mexico and transfered over the border and stamped as made in america ,cheaper labour more mark up that couldn`t happen could it?

That's a very big problem in my area. Also loads of counterfeit Gibson and Martin acoustic.

*shakes head in amusement; permanently leaves thread
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

Quote by millerdrr
You guys are sensitive! I only hope as you reach adulthood you come to understand the true concept of product evaluation and how it relates to the overall price. You kid yourself if you believe value is something that can be measured by anything other than opinions of a majority. That would be the concept of "auction". Of course, many players go their entire lives and never sell an instrument, nor do they care if money is lost in the transaction. You'll likely get away with youthful naivete on low-cost items like musical instruments, but I would advise you flush your minds of such lines of thinking before you start purchasing homes, cars and real estate.

Try this: which is better, vast tracks of cheap land in the desert, or a tiny lot on a major beachfront? "Better" is subjective, and a matter of opinion. "Value" is not. The very fact that so many of you don't understand that is how I made down payments on my last two vehicles.

[qoute="ruffdog64"]I`ve a mim strat and i like it , also i was told by one store owner the some of the american strats are assembled in mexico and transfered over the border and stamped as made in america ,cheaper labour more mark up that couldn`t happen could it?

That's a very big problem in my area. Also loads of counterfeit Gibson and Martin acoustic.

I didn`t mean counterfeit fenders he was suggesting fender did this
yes all six strings buzz !! but it`s unique isn`t it
Quote by millerdrr
*words*

... Anyone that thinks that just because we like to get our money's worth in our instruments means we're screwing ourselves for business in the future is ignorant and bringing outside arguments into something with no relativity whatsoever.
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by millerdrr

depends which you need more. The big problem is that values can change (e.g. the credit crunch )... if you're *only* buying something because of resale value, if you ask me, you run the risk of getting into bother.

that's more for the political thread, though...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Pac_man0123
... Anyone that thinks that just because we like to get our money's worth in our instruments means we're screwing ourselves for business in the future is ignorant and bringing outside arguments into something with no relativity whatsoever.

You put "*rant" in my quote. I wasn't ranting.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

Page 1 of 2