Simply put, after a band practice today, I'm planning to pick up bass. At the moment though, there's a tele that I'm looking at, used for $350, basically a 50's series tele, and I can't decide between it and the bass I decided on first. UG, your thoughts?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Exactly what kind of tele is it?
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
It's from a company called Dillion. I own another of their guitars, and I've played both the tele and the one I own, I like both, plus it has different fretwire than the Fender ones, and I like the fretwire the Dillion has a bit better. Plus on top of that the pickups are actually good.

i'd go for the bass myself but it's up to you
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
what kind of bass?
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
are you a guitarist? if so id get the tele, theres no telling how inclined you will be to actually play the bass if you did buy it, and then youd be kicking yourself for not getting the tele
Quote by eteam_sammy4him
what kind of bass?

Ibanez Soundgear GSR200(Cheap, I know, but I played a cheaper Soundgear today, so I'm fine with it).

Quote by Filip413
are you a guitarist? if so id get the tele, theres no telling how inclined you will be to actually play the bass if you did buy it, and then youd be kicking yourself for not getting the tele

I played bass today at band practice, though you are right that I am mainly a guitarist.

I'd pass on both and save up a few hundred more to get a used Carvin model,but that's just me.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Yeah, If I were you I would get the tele and just get a cheap bass until you've played it for a while and REALLY know what kind of bass you want.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
this is not a question we can answer for you, see as how one is a bass and one is not. if you're really interested in picking up the bass and think you'll make use of your extra time with it by getting it first, then go for it. if you just think if might be fun to play around with since you already play guitar, you might find that it'll be picking up dust most of the time and you'd rather have the tele until you can have both.
guitar
amp

some pedals
If you find the bass comfortable, go for it. It will be nice to have experience either way you go, guiatr or bass. It also depends on what you think you would usse more and what interests you more. If bass lines are your thing, go with the Ibanez, if fast licks are your thing, go Tele. Either way, you will be satisfied if music is what you do.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
Hmm...eh, I suppose for now I'll get the tele, keep borrowing the bass from the bands other guitarist, and eventually buy my own.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 7, 2009,
honestly dude, id pick up the bass, i know thats what i did. it helped alot on my guitar plaing too considering the bass strings are much thicker and the neck is much longer, it made the guitar seem very minuscule in my hands and i was able to move across the board with ease. well thats just my own opinion. But really id go with the bass, especially if its a 5 string bass.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Hmm...well, the bass is cheaper...Ah, I need to play one after the other to decide whether another guitar or a bass is more worth my while.

Quote by necrosis1193
Simply put, after a band practice today, I'm planning to pick up bass. At the moment though, there's a tele that I'm looking at, used for $350, basically a 50's series tele, and I can't decide between it and the bass I decided on first. UG, your thoughts?
Get both ... or better yet, you can actually get a pretty kickass MIM Tele for the scratch you have or a really nice, used Squier CV Pinecaster for a lot less.

Quote by necrosis1193
Hmm...well, the bass is cheaper...Ah, I need to play one after the other to decide whether another guitar or a bass is more worth my while.

You should also consider things in the long run.If you get the bass,will you actually dedicate yourself to it? I got one thinking it was awesome and that I wanted to learn it,but after the magic of a new instrument went away,I went right back to guitar.Now my bass sits in its case doing nothing and I'm in the process of selling it.It might seem like a great idea now,but it may not be in the future.I just figured I'd add that perspective to it.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You should also consider things in the long run.If you get the bass,will you actually dedicate yourself to it? I got one thinking it was awesome and that I wanted to learn it,but after the magic of a new instrument went away,I went right back to guitar.Now my bass sits in its case doing nothing and I'm in the process of selling it.It might seem like a great idea now,but it may not be in the future.I just figured I'd add that perspective to it.

Hmm...well, the bass is $200, so it wouldn't be a huge loss.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Now my bass sits in its case doing nothing and I'm in the process of selling it.
Just sell it to this guy and everyone's happy.
Quote by Free
Just sell it to this guy and everyone's happy.

Not a bad idea.It's a Carvin 4 string with active electronics,and it plays and sounds great,I just never use it.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Not a bad idea.It's a Carvin 4 string with active electronics,and it plays and sounds great,I just never use it.

Hmm...how much?

Quote by necrosis1193
Hmm...how much?

I'm trying to get 400 USD for it since it has some pick marks and what not on it.The frets are in good condition,and the electronics function perfectly,it just isn't as pretty looking as it used to be.

Hmm...well, I don't have $400 on-hand, how long will you have it?

Quote by necrosis1193
Hmm...well, I don't have $400 on-hand, how long will you have it?

For a while,I'm just slowly selling off the stuff I don't need/use anymore to fund some big purchases.I'd like to have all of it gone by the middle of April,but I doubt that will happen.

Alright, I may have the cash by then. How much will shipping be?

Quote by necrosis1193
Alright, I may have the cash by then. How much will shipping be?

No idea as of yet.I'd have to have it weighed and get an exact figure,but I'd say 30-50 USD depending on your location in relevance to where I am.

If you already have a guitar--get the bass. If you already have a bass--get the guitar. If you dont have either--get the guitar.
you got access to a bass amp?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Jen's got a good point. If you're planning to buy a bass, you gotta get a decent amp as well.

I'd grab a Tele.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks