So I was just wondering, signature model guitars seem to be a good bit more expensive than standard guitars, but are they worth the price? For example, is there much of a difference between say a Jeff Beck signature Strat and a Standard American Strat?
R.I.P. Lester William Polsfuss June 9, 1915–August 13, 2009
Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.
Quote by Kensai
I'm a good person and I never meet any pretty girls who loves jesus
no. the price difference is not worth any where near any perceived upgrades may be.
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
I think we all know that if you buy a sig model, you are paying a significant sum because it has x's (insert star here) name on it. Nothing beats actually buying a model without a name attached to it, because all you are paying for is the parts.

That said, sometimes it's hard to look by the guitar that your favourite hero plays........ Any awesome Ibanez Jem comes to mind!

Cheers
Quote by AussiePGFan
I think we all know that if you buy a sig model, you are paying a significant sum because it has x's (insert star here) name on it.

Yeah I thought so. Which sucks, cos I'm looking to buy a decent Strat, American probably, and i know it's a tad stupid to worry about what a guitar looks like, but all the cool looking ones are signature models and it really puts me off.
Quote by Moggan13

Quote by Kensai
I hate when you find a sig model that has all the features you want.I'm like that with the JEM and believe it or not,the EGEN.They're both great guitars,but the artist name adds about $500-$600 dollars to the price tag,if not more.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by -NOFX-
i know it's a tad stupid to worry about what a guitar looks like, but all the cool looking ones are signature models

Like what exactly?.........
Ah, a chance to give advice to someone and snarl ot some others!

Quote by -NOFX-
So I was just wondering, signature model guitars seem to be a good bit more expensive than standard guitars, but are they worth the price? For example, is there much of a difference between say a Jeff Beck signature Strat and a Standard American Strat?

The JB sig strat is more like an AM Deluxe or one of the other higher end American Strats - whether the slightly (and somewhat varying) difference in wood quality, the different pickups, different nut and trem as well as the locking tuners are worth the higher cost in comparison to an AM Standard is something you need to find out for yourself. If those are the features you want, the extra cost is most likely justified. If you don't care, there's no point paying more.

Quote by cthuludawn21
no. the price difference is not worth any where near any perceived upgrades may be.

Bold statement. I figure you have played ever signature guitar in existence to find that out?

Quote by AussiePGFan
I think we all know that if you buy a sig model, you are paying a significant sum because it has x's (insert star here) name on it. Nothing beats actually buying a model without a name attached to it, because all you are paying for is the parts.

That said, sometimes it's hard to look by the guitar that your favourite hero plays........ Any awesome Ibanez Jem comes to mind!

Cheers

That depends. Let's say that's fifty bucks per guitar. Seems about right? If you think about it, that's a lot of money if we're talking about a gutar that otherwise would cost 400$. But if it's a guitar that costs more than 1000$, it doesn't really matter anymore. So I don't see how it's of any importance when talking about a 1400$ (well, that's the cost of them where I live at least) JB strat. Which is a very fine instrument by the way, the one I tried at least.

That goes for most models, anyway, probably not for all. I always wondered why JEMs are so friggin' expensive.

Now, an example: I own the Custom Shop JB Strat. It is one of Fender's cheapest CS Strats, not a penny more expensive than the Custom Classic or Strat Pro, yet I chose it over those, because I liked it better, simple as that. I don't even care about Jeff Beck and didn't even know one single song by him when I bought the guitar.

I'm sorry if I sound defensive here, but I am getting somewhat worked up over the ignorance and uninformed nonsense that gets posted here all the time. Maybe if people would actually just try some guitars instead of jumping on the UG bandwagons we'd have less of this.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 7, 2009,
Quote by Free
Like what exactly?.........

Well the Jeff Beck Custom Shop for one lol it comes in that cool surf green colour, then there's the John Mayer sig in a cool silvery colour, and there's also the Rory Gallagher Relic Strat

Edit: Oh and thanks for your help TheQuailman. I would like to just try them out and see if the differences matter to me, but music shops in Dublin don't really stock many signature models, not that I'm aware of anyways. They tend to stay away from the really expensive stuff that won't sell easily. Can't even get friggin Orange amps anymore
Quote by Moggan13

Quote by Kensai
Last edited by -NOFX- at Mar 7, 2009,
The relicing on the Rory looks pretty fake to be honest. I mean, the paint is worn off in most places, but where there is some, it is all glossy and shiny and looks like new. It looks pretty odd imo.

Agreed on Surf Green being hella sexy though. But they offer it on their other models, too, don't they?
Or at least they used to, I believe...
Quote by TheQuailman
The relicing on the Rory looks pretty fake to be honest. I mean, the paint is worn off in most places, but where there is some, it is all glossy and shiny and looks like new. It looks pretty odd imo.

Agreed on Surf Green being hella sexy though. But they offer it on their other models, too, don't they?
Or at least they used to, I believe...

Yeah I'm sure they do, but as i said in my edit, shops in dublin have a pretty limited stock, so I'll probably opt to buy online. Probably after trying out similar models in store though
Quote by Moggan13

Quote by Kensai
Hey, NOFX, the only really big difference between the JB and other strats is the combination of a roller nut and locking tuners with a 2-point tremolo. It doesn't get out of tune as easily as a Standard Strat when using the trem. The different pups aren't really better, just different.

EDIT: I was just saying, because I know the relicing looks pretty realistic on web sites. If at all possible, get a guitar you can try out instead of buying online. The quality differences in higher end Fenders aren't really drastic, but they still occur.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 7, 2009,
Depends entirely on the model.

A good example of a pointless signature guitar is the Gibson Slash signature Les Paul. It's a regular LP, but the neck is shaped after his favourite guitar (which doesn't mean it's a better neck, it's just a shape that is more suitable for his hands - and you don't have Slash's hands, do you?), and it has a pair of Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro humbuckers slapped in it - which are pretty cheap as far as aftermarket humbuckers go, it's easy to swap pickups yourself, and Alnico II Pro pickups are very unsuitable for the vast majority of guitarists. So where is your money going? You end up paying roughly a grand more for a guitar with a cheap pickup swap (worth one and a half hundred at most) and a neck that most likely isn't suitable for you. Total waste of money.

On the other hand you get signatures like the Fender Richie Sambora Stratocaster. This was one of Fender's top selling guitars during it's run and for good reason. The usual 'signature' guitar staple of a pickup swap (in this case a DiMarzio PAF Pro and two Fender Texas Specials), then some more unique appointments; a Floyd Rose instead of the regular strat vibrato bridge, a 25db active mid boost circuit, the best pots and jacks money could buy, the works. Plus it looks pretty sweet since although it's body was solid alder, they gave it a thin ash veneer on transparent colours and it had special star fretboard inlays. Sure, it wasn't to everyone's taste, but the kicker was if you did like that sort of thing, it cost more to upgrade an existing Strat like that then it was to just by the Sambora signature. The signature was usually priced at only about a hundred more than the American Standard of the time, but it came with upgrades totalling three or four hundred. Bargain!
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by TheQuailman
Hey, NOFX, the only really big difference between the JB and other strats is the combination of a roller nut and locking tuners with a 2-point tremolo. It doesn't get out of tune as easily as a Standard Strat when using the trem. The different pups aren't really better, just different.

EDIT: I was just saying, because I know the relicing looks pretty realistic on web sites. If at all possible, get a guitar you can try out instead of buying online. The quality differences in higher end Fenders aren't really drastic, but they still occur.

Cool. Well thanks alot for your help. I'll definitely get my ass in and try one out. No way am I spending over €1000 without knowing what I'm spending it on lol Thanks
Quote by Moggan13

Quote by Kensai
Quote by MetaMegaMagic
Well it makes more sense to get a Yngwie strat than scalloping a neck.

This is what I mean by being more expensive lol

http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_yngwie_malmsteen_tribute.htm
Quote by Moggan13

Quote by Kensai
Well, there IS a high level of insanity involved sometimes...

Sad thing about that Yngwie Strat is probably that people will buy it as a collector's item and think it'd become more valuable with time, while I think the opposite is more likely to happen.
Yeah true. The cheaper models are pretty nice though e.g. http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_yngwiemalmsteen.htm

The pickups and other parts are different, but LOOK at the price difference lol
Quote by Moggan13

Quote by Kensai
To be honest, it's pretty close to the American Vintages and Vintage Hot Rods spec-wise, which retail for only slightly less, so I can see where the price comes from, other than it being a signature model.
http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_57_american_vintage_mn_2cs.htm
http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_57_american_vintage_mn_2cs.htm

I can't tell how good it really is until I try it myself, but the specs look damn good.

Those Vintage Hot Rods are effin' nice by the way, see if you can try one. Very versatile, too.
Quote by Pr0gNut
I hate when you find a sig model that has all the features you want.I'm like that with the JEM and believe it or not,the EGEN.They're both great guitars,but the artist name adds about $500-$600 dollars to the price tag,if not more.

neither guitar has the artist's name on it.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Well, in my case the exact guitar i was looking for was only possible through a signature model, case in point Christian Olde Wolber's 7 string Dinky.

I was looking for a seven string, but one only one pup and nothing else since I prefer it like that and lo and behold it's one of the only possible ways to get that config short of modding your own guitar.

and the funny part I don't even know who the hell he is yet I'm still shelling out cash for his sig guitar
*Insert witty boisterous relic of seemingly useless allegory for means of simply amusing a random personage*

My babies:

Epiphone Les Paul (Honeyburst)
Fender MiM Strat (Classic Black/White)
Epiphone Riviera (Wine Red)
Last edited by physicsdummy at Mar 7, 2009,
Quote by Lemoninfluence
neither guitar has the artist's name on it.

And when did I say it did? Or are you just trying to be a smart ass and making yourself look like a douche in the process? Most likely the later of the two.

I implied that the price is higher due to the guitar being tied to an artist,which it is.If you look at the EGEN it's basically an S5470 on steroids.It adds a unique finish and gold hardware,a set of real DiMarzio pickups w/ coil splitting,a recessed middle pup that doesn't obstruct picking,unique inlays,scalloping on the 20th-24th frets,a scalloped lower horn for better fret access,and that hand grip on the upper horn.Now,do you think these features add up to a price increase of $1000-$1100? I personally don't,and believe that a chunk of that extra cost is the fact that there's an artist tied to it.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
And when did I say it did? Or are you just trying to be a smart ass and making yourself look like a douche in the process? Most likely the later of the two.

I implied that the price is higher due to the guitar being tied to an artist,which it is.If you look at the EGEN it's basically an S5470 on steroids.It adds a unique finish and gold hardware,a set of real DiMarzio pickups w/ coil splitting,a recessed middle pup that doesn't obstruct picking,unique inlays,scalloping on the 20th-24th frets,a scalloped lower horn for better fret access,and that hand grip on the upper horn.Now,do you think these features add up to a price increase of $1000-$1100? I personally don't,and believe that a chunk of that extra cost is the fact that there's an artist tied to it.

but it's not meant to be associated with an artist. That's the whole point of giving it a name other than the 'X signature series'.

a unique finish means a separate painting line. The neck is a different profile so it's not just a grab-one-off-the-line job, the Gold hardware is produced in smaller numbers meaning it costs more, scallopping the frets and cutaway both take time, non-standard inlay shape and material also take time as does the upper horn handle, smaller run of pickups again raises costs and the overall quality improvement means that it may not add up to $1000 in parts, but with labour and production costs it adds a lot on.

the rest is retailers marking it up for their own profits after shipping and customs etc.

The only money that will go to either artist is only because they designed the guitar. They get paid just as any other designer would.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
My schecter jeff loomis is prob. one of the best guitars I have ever owned, @ only $900US its cheaper then the 3 LP's I had, and sounds/plays better. My razorback V is also one of the best guitars I have ever played and @ $300 it was worth it.
Quote by Spartan101400
Has anyone here ever thought that if you play a Les Paul, you're playing a signature without knowing it?

Yes, and it's complete bullcrap. That's like saying a WWII soldier using an M-1 Garand was using a signature firearm

Les Paul has/had his own signature gibson, and it wasn't a les paul.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Yes, and it's complete bullcrap. That's like saying a WWII soldier using an M-1 Garand was using a signature firearm

Les Paul has/had his own signature gibson, and it wasn't a les paul.

Your comparison is:
a) besides the point.
b) void of any substance.

The first LP was designed largely by Lester Polfus and for his needs and Gibson only called it the Les Paul Model because they knew it'd be a great way of marketing it. That he primarily uses a Gibson LP Recorder from the '70s nowadays doesn't change the fact that the first LP guitars were his signature models. And with the LP having basically the same design in the early years and nowadays, it is still his signature model today.